Oze Dave

Jun 28, 2005
Has anybody heard of the crankcase cracking around the kickstater area on a kx250f caused by "Kick-back"? It was a problem on the 04 model, but I now have the same problem on a 05 model.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
It happens now and then but it doesn't seem to be a common problem.

hannamet

Jul 28, 2005
Dave, I just read your post, and I am in the pprocess of rebuilding a 2004 KX250F due to case farcture at the kickstart area. Your post is not the first I'd heard of it either. It seems Kawasaki has a problem there. I am using 2005 case halves, but cannot tell any serious differences that would make them stronger against this type of failure. Sorry you had that trouble, it's a real bummer. We have two of these bikes and will monitor them closely in this area. Metallurgically, I did not see any defects in the original cases, but it could definately be improved for strength by design. I wish Kawasaki would address this, but I am the second owner, so they get off the hook. (Why is that? Marginal design should be addressed regardless of who owns the machine! :think: ) I am toying with possible techniques to reinforce the case in this critical area, similar to a case saver near the counter sprocket, but for case integrity versus chain impact. I don't wan to add much weight, but I will add steel reinforcement if it saves me a case again. Best of luck. Hannamet

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
Remember, you only need to use enough force to "push" the kickster through the stroke. These things are light duty in their design, and a big guy actually "kicking" it, can cause problems, this only being one of them.

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
Here is a RMZ250 with less than 20 hours when the cases broke. You can see the tooth missing on the clutch basket gear as well. Total damage involves center cases, right case cover, clutch hub, clutch plates, and all associated labor at a minimum.

RMZ250 Case - pic 1

RMZ250 Case - pic 2

Last edited:

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
Dont lose any sleep it over marcus. The cases are only priced @ $300 a set (at places like Midwest Action Cycle) for low cost routine replacement. ;)

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
It amazes me still when people walk in a dealership and buy a kxf250 over a yzf or crf. It seems like you are just asking for trouble. I can't believe a case would crack like that. Ochester are still have all those problems on the 05's that you had on the 04's. I remember reading a thread basically painted a picture that the kxf250 was the worst bike made from a mainence standpoint.

Erik

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
Its no secret that all of the new 4-strokes have higher maintenance issues than many are used to. The only "picture" I have painted is one of showing what my experience has encountered during some extensive and many times extreme use. All of the brands have their own traits.

People have different criteria for choosing what they buy. Some have good dealer support toward a particular brand, some have an alegiance toward a manufacturer and some base their decisions on racing contigency programs. I do not believe their is only one or two right choices for everyone.

I think it helps though as a rider/racer to know what your bikes weaknesses are. Their is nothing worse than spending the time and money to enjoy a weekend and having it interupted by something that could have been avoided. Most rider/racers knowing what their up against are willing to deal with things.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Ive known many rmzs live a extremely hard life and come back for more, marks bikes are ridden by some riders who are far faster than any us reading the boards-he will see faults some wont even in 4 years of use.

Frank!

Jun 11, 2007
ochster said:
Dont lose any sleep it over marcus. The cases are only priced @ $300 a set (at places like Midwest Action Cycle) for low cost routine replacement. ;)
Hi, I checked Midwest Action Cycle, but they (now?) cost ~ $430 Do you another place where they might sell those for a lower price?

Thanks!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom