gjbruny

Feb 7, 2005
i was wondering how smooth the power is on the 250exc. i have ridden a stock kdx 200 and it was very smooth. is the 250 as smooth or is there any HIT in the rev range?

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
I just sold a 03 KDX 200 and bought a 05 EXC250. The 250 is exactly as smooth as the KDX, with what feels like 2000 extra RPM on top.

Where the KDX lugged low and easy on big hills, the EXC does just the same, but has the extra beans to snap back in the power if need be.

The only thing I've done to the EXC is add 2 teeth to the rear sprocket, as first gear seemed a bit tall.

I do prefer the 5 speed of the EXC also, as there's less shifting involved.

If you trade up, you'll be happy, but by no means is the KDX a poor bike. Quiet the opposite.

I will say this... My KDX with all the "normal" aftermarket hop-ups, costs the same as a stock KTM, which is much ballsier. So, anyone who thinks the KDX is a cheaper buy, is only right if they plan to leave it stock.

mnnthbx

Apr 1, 2003
Also, the KTM comes with three diff. springs to change when the power valve (hit) opens, allowing you to tailor the power a bit.

shazam_339

Jan 22, 2003
there is no comparison. go with the ktm. i have a 200 EXC and i have ridden with guys on kdx's and the components and quality of ktm's are soo much better. g :ride: o with the 250 EXC

blanc

Dec 18, 2002
Go with a GasGas 250 more lowend and smoother power...the ktms more for the A rider/racer. The GG has won all the mag reviews over here and its the smallest bike maker with less cash....all the reviewers say the gg is better for the b/c beginner rider...than the ktm as it is more forgiving.

gjbruny

Feb 7, 2005
thanks!

thanks for the info so far! i was not trying to compare the bikes as a whole just the smoothness of the power delivery between the two.

Tom L

Dec 18, 2004
The gasgas's are real pretty too!!! I'd buy a ktm, but I might puke every time I look at that puke orange color!!! Could they have possibly chosen a worse color!!!???

gjbruny

Feb 7, 2005
puke?

isn't the "classic" color depicted for puke GREEN? just kidding, i have nothing but good things to say about the kdx (easlily the smoothest 2stroke i ever rode). just thought i would respond to your reply since you did not offer much info to my thread.

Top Bottom