jimyz

Nov 9, 2000
I am thinking of going back to a two stroke 250 namely the 05 yz. I currently ride an 04 250f and like the bike well, except on long mx starts against bigger bikes, once underway, I do ok. I ride mostly mx w/ the occasional woods, 160lbs, 5'10" intermediate level. I am wondering if anyone has made the switch and the results-pro's and con's.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
i also thought about making a switch to a 250 two stroke from a 250f(crf). i am really confused though on what to do, i like the 250f's a lot, it the maintenance that is envolved i hate. i think i am going to keep rinding the crf for a another year or so but if were to buy a 250 two stroke now i would buy the yamaha. my friend has a 2004 yz 250 and i love the bike, it has a nice broad power band that was pretty easy to get used to. the only thing that felt strange was not having the strong engine braking that the four stokes have.

jimyz

Nov 9, 2000
Did you find the power usable, and not overwhelming when comparing to the 250f? I thunk I would miss the engine breaking but could adapt.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
i recently rode a 02 rm 250, 96 kx 250 and my freinds 04 yz 250. i like the yz the best. i think the yz has pretty good usabale power, but you still will get some wheel spin on hard pack. the yz is supposed to have the broadest powerband out of all the 250 two strokes. it would take me a litttle while two get used to the two stroke. the lack of engine braking felt weird and things seem to happen a lot faster withe the two stroke.

jimyz

Nov 9, 2000
Yes, they are trying to reduce it. I am trying to figure out if a 250 two stroke is the wrong direction from having 3 years experience on a 250f.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
do you know anyone who has a 250 two stroke that would let you take it for a spin? i really liked the two stroke a lot, it was a lot of fun but it would take some time to get used to.

gonzo843

May 24, 2004
Well I just picked up an 05 YZ250 on Friday. I have an 03 450F and an 04 250F. The bike was and still is little to get used to. I have never owned a 2-stroke :ohmy: The bike just flat out rips. I have never felt the sensation of railing a corner like I get on this bike. I use to hate whooped out sandy sections now I search for them because you can wheeling through them like Bubba at millville. This bike is amazing. It's extremely light. It feels lighter than my 250F. I am actually considering selling my 250f and getting the 125. If you do get it, it may take some getting used to. The power is right there and is strong as an ox. I can actually lug 4th gear around flat corners. How many 2-strokes can do that. I use to gears everywhere on the bike 3 and 4th. Thats it. I am still in total awe by this bike. It does have a little vib in the handlebars but it's not as bad as a Honda and they didnt put rubber clamps on it. I am just going to warn you again. The bike is scary fast. I am a pretty good rider and thing freaked me out at first. I actually drop a tooth in the rear just to get used to it. Also the no engine braking really screwed me up too but I got that under control with the super stick front brake which is also just awesome. Much better than my CR kit on my 250F. I think :yeehaw: about the 05 YZ250.

mxracin

Sponsoring Member
Nov 23, 2003
My experience with the 05 yz is similar to gonzo's. I've been on thumpers since way before it was cool, currently a KTM 450sx and 525sx. The power didn't suprise me so much, but I forgot what throttle response meant; the instantaneous power is amazing. If I'm not sitting on the gas cap when I twist it I'm looking at the clouds pretty quick. The two biggest changes were having to use the clutch and the lack of engine braking. The first race on the yz I screamed into the first turn and backed off, waiting for the engine braking to kick in. It didn't, and I ended up with the holeshot. The next turn I stalled it, forgot to pull in the clutch!! Easy come easy go! I still turn faster lap times on the 4, and it is much less demanding to ride, but this yz is soooo much more fun to ride!

James980

Dec 29, 1999
bottom line...two strokes have incredible "snap" "zip" "pull" whatever you want to call it. four strokes have traction. Most people thing the "zip" is more fun while the extra traction of a four stroke wears you out less...whatever, it depends on the rider and I've heard guys say the exact opposite...basically that the lighter two strokes wear you out less because they're easier to toss around...see? it's all about riding style. other guys call it a toss up but get the two stroke because for them it's easier and cheaper to work on. heck, you're going to have a blast on either. don't beat yourself up over it and just get out there and have a great time!

Chris_S

Nov 25, 2002
Gonzo said it well, I agree w/ all his pts. I almost felt like I made a mistake at first, since the YZ is a much more demanding ride. MX track not such a big deal, but I was all over the place on the trails, and missed braking pts. due to lack of engine braking.

I just added an 11 oz. FWW, and it made for a huge improvement...less stalling, more traction, and less tiring to ride. I'd say it's more tiring than my CRF250R, much less tiring than my old CRF450. It rails through the whoops, and in general feels like a guided missile. The bike's biggest shortcoming is the pilot controlling it!

Still getting used to it, but I got a 3rd place in my first hare scramble race w/ it! My CRF250 will likely be put up for sale at the end of this season.

jimyz

Nov 9, 2000
I do wonder about maintenance and costs associated w/ 4's. I ride my 250f like I'm gonna blow it up, alot of full throttle. The bike is great. Thanks for the imput. I am looking forward to trying an 05 250. If I would get the 250, I would put a 10-12 oz flywheel wieght to smooth it out- Later

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom