scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
This was an absolute blast.
I arrived Sat night around 9:30. It was quite a haul out there. I didn't know anyone that was camping, so I planned on gettting to sleep early in the back of my truck. I bought out the DVD player and lovered the bed cover. This was much better than a tent.

Sun AM. went to check in and met up with rich and crew. After check in another rider was looking for a partner for the 8 AM team race, so I joined up with him. We agreed to take it easy as boht of us were in the next Vet Open race at 9:30. . Our goal was to learn the course, which paid off huge. Rich and Bart were also in the team race. My partner and I each did a lap and decided to pull off to get ready for our real race.

The course was fast and fun, the MX was really tame with lots of corners and a few small jumps. Out in the desert were deep sweeping sand washes. You needed alot of right hand for this course

It was a dead engine start, my 2 smoke might have an advantage here. I'm in gear when the flag drops and my bike fires on the first kick. I click through the gear to the first corner and come out in about 4th. (I was very happy with that as I was the only 2 stroke in a field of 450's and 525's) , More fast sand sections and some higher geared bikes pass by. We hit the mx track and on my 2stroke I'm able to hit some different lines. I pass by most of the guys and some slower guys from the line ahead of us. Back out to the pavement and I'm out in front. I hold that spot for 2 laps while passed more guys from the line in front of us. This is really fun racing, Catching, dicing with and passing guys at very high speeds was quite a rush. Lap three on the mx course I washed out in the mud and over the berm my bike went. (I have some great footage of it on my helmet cam.) About 10-12 guys went by while I pulled my bike out of the banners. All I could think was all that good work just went out the window. I regrouped passed several of them back and finished 5th in my class.

I don't know the results for the other guys yet.

2stroke, Eel, Thumbs Bundy and 89er, you guys would've loved this race.

This was a great race and an absolute blast. It is a must do again next year. :cool: :ride: :)

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
pic

Attachments

• 29PALM~1 small.JPG
    29PALM~1 small.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 196

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Tim you were grinning ear to ear after the race. :aj: You definitely have to show the video on here when you have a chance. Like Scar said, we met up at signups on Sunday morning, and made it through signups without any problems. We ran into Holeshot but lost him right after signups. So cutting it tight on time, we head off for the Unclassified Team race. The Unclassified races are a good way to get some practice before your race but are a little bit on the pricey side. Of course Scar always finds some guy that either can’t use his entry or needs a partner so he gets to ride for free. I’m thinking he’s holding a "Will Work for Entry" sign outside of signups ;) .

We got to watch Scars start since our race was after his. I’m thinking the 2-strokes definitely have an advantage when it comes to a dead engine start. Anyways, like always you’re truly gets a three kick start and ends up 3rd to last off the starting line. I swear, I kicked that beast four times while sitting on the starting line and she started every time, but come race time that bike is like a women on PMS. Well I gun it after she fires to the first turn and end up bonzaing it into the middle of the pack. The race was fast and fun. The desert section had a lot of breaking bumps going into sandy turns but if you stayed on the throttle you would glide on top of the sand. The motocross section consisted mainly of corners with and without berms. The jumps were small enough that they reminded me of something you would see on a mini track. Anyhow, we all finished and had a great time and eventually ran into Holeshot at the end. I ended up 17th out of 46 but after having the lousy start I’m happy with the results.

Once again you guys missed a great time. I know some of ya think it’s only an hour race but it’s an intense and fun hour of racing you would have fun at if you guys would give it a try. The next race is the Shamrock race out at LACR. This isn’t the best race to try a GP unless you’re really into motocross. However, the Viewfinders race out at Ridgecrest in October is a blast and one you guys should consider trying to race.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
It was the shizznit...

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
I'm still wondering about the whole tent vs. truck bed thing. Sounds like a great time, I wish I could have made the Taft GP or the upcoming Virginia City GP, but there is always something in the way.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Way to go guys. :cool:

Great finish Tim. :yeehaw:

I'll be back out pretty soon.

89r

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
kelsorat said:
I'm still wondering about the whole tent vs. truck bed thing.

Actually, Scar had a pretty cool setup. He had it all layed out under the popup cover and it even included a disco ball with a strobe light.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
89'r - isn't that you in the picture with Scar?

Down on the bottom right, riding the Indian Scout.

:laugh:

Last edited:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
holeshot said:
89'r - isn't that you in the picture with Scar?
Down on the bottom right, riding the Indian Scout.
:laugh:

Dang. :( I was hoping you wouldn't notice. :rotfl:

Planning on getting back on the beast this weekend. May take a while to get back in shape, (not that I was ever in shape to begin with) then I'll be out to do battle with you guys.

Cant wait. :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

89r

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Rich,

Send me your address and I'll send you a copy of my helmet cam footage. The camera angel is a little low but you can still relive the course. I'm still getting the camera dialed in.

My next attempt will be this weekends enduro.

you can email me at tmorenc@whitmont.com

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Hey Tim- Id like to look too. Can you send it to me too? (My DRN screen name) at adelphia.net

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
it's to big to email. I'll bring you a copy this Sunday.

Also I'll be filming this weekends enduro. I'll get that to you also.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Sweet! Tim, you coming out Saturday? Id have a place for you to sleep, but I have the same guests as at the sweetheart so I am full. Ill have the laptop for viewing.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
I'm taking the boys to teh Angels Yankees gaem Sat night, so I won't be out until Sunday AM unless it rains. But I can send your copy with Thumbs for Delivery Saturday AM.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Hey Tim, just got back from texas after a week and just saw your message. Bart and I would really appreciate a copy and would be happy to pay you some $ for the CD and the shipping if you want. My address is in my email so feel free to send when you can.

Thanks again
Rich

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom