xTYBALTx

Mar 10, 2004
400XC-W v. 450EXC v. CRF450X v. Anything

Well the title pretty much sums up what I'm considering here. My skill level is pretty low-intermediate, and while I live in SoCal, land of the desert, I do prefer to hit the tight twisty single track when I can (which isn't very often). So I'll have to be able to take the bike pretty much anywhere. However, I will be holding onto my 200EXC as well, so maybe my thumper won't have to be as versatile.

I have very good throttle control, so don't really expect the bikes to come out and bite me despite the fact that my previous bikes (KDX220, KTM200EXC) have less power than what I'm looking at here.

Performance wise, I imagine that all bikes would have enough power for me, but am curious about the characteristics of their suspension systems. I am also extremely worried about the mysterious valves that these thumpers have :] If there are any significant reliability differences between these, please let me know!

Finally, I've spent some time on the CRF450R and thought it was fantastic - that riding experience was what got me interested in all of this thumper stuff in the first place.

It's my understanding that these bikes are fairly similar at least, so I do appreciate any info you all can give me :] Looking forward to joining both the 2T and 4T clubs!

1) Your physical size (both height and weight are important)
6' 155lbs. 26 yrs old.

2) How physical / aggressive are you?
Medium to low aggresiveness when riding. I like to tool around and hang out.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Everything. Trips to the rockies, local deserts (less dunes and more rocky desert - but still some dunes and deep washes will be in there). NO MX/SX.

4) Do you have any riding experience?
I am very experienced. But not very fast! Hahaha...

5) Do you think you will race ?
Only recreationally, if at all. I won't push myself beyond my comfort zone to place better.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
I HATE maintenance. I can adjust my chain, clean air filters, change tires, check and change oil, and screw the idle screw. Everything else is mysterious to me.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
See question 10. Also, I was very impressed with my friend's CRF450R at Ocotillo. So thumpers only this time around.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
ALL brands are in play.

9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike?
Doesn't matter.

10) Do you live in California?
Unfortunately yes.

11) Anything else that you think would help form an opinion
Did I mention that I don't like maintenance? I will be keeping my 200EXC for the REAL gnarly twisty trails. So any bike I'm looking at now will fortunately not need to do that kind of work. I also want a bike which doesn't need to be rejetted everytime I go from Southern California to the Rockies.

Last edited:

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
If you liked riding the Honda then stick with it.
If you went to the KTM 400, it would be awesome in the woods yet you might find yourself wishing you had a little more once out in the wide open. Therefore you might narrow it down to the KTM 450 EXC and the Honda CRF 450x.

The KTM 450 EXC gives you a full dual sport package, if dual sporting is of interest then I think the decision would be made.
I like KTM myself ;)

xTYBALTx

Mar 10, 2004
You know, I've been going back and forth with the dual sport portion of it. After thinking a bit more about, I just don't think that I'd use it. Really hardly ever. So that's not going to be a factor for me.

450X

Test It!!!
Mar 25, 2007
you can probably guess what my vote is for by my name, i have nothing against any of the other bikes the KTM's are great bikes. if you rode a honda 450R and liked it i think you will like the 450X even more, due to your riding style and what you want to do with the bike. the X has a slightly softer ride than the R that you rode, a smoother power delivery, more bottom end lug, its geared better for trail riding, and it also has an awesome little button on the right side, for much much easier starting.
decisions decisions.

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
KTM 525 might have more power for the open desert riding.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I think at 155lbs, the 450 has plenty of power :whoa:

I'm 190ish without gear, and the 520 is way to much if I'm not paying attention, I couldn't imaging at 155 having enough weight to get any traction ;)

I think a 450 would be just right but then again since you are keeping the 200, you might like the fun factor on the big hills :nod:

Jan 3, 2007
Since you are keeping the 200 you would regret buying the 400 when you hit the open sections. I think the 525 would be great for the fact if the dual sport was a later option the 525 would handle highway speeds much beter then then 450 would. The 525 also has hardly any matinence along with the 450. I find the CRF450X to be a bit much to take care of. But in all any of the bikes you have listed would be great.

xTYBALTx

Mar 10, 2004
I appreciate the advice everyone. I'm leaning pretty heavy towards the X, since as some have said the R was the bike that made me fall in love with the 4-strokes in the first place. Thanks for the help!

DougRoost

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2001
You said 4 stroke, but there's always the CR500AF or CR500AFX :p

Live2offroad

May 17, 2007
2 strokes for life said:
Since you are keeping the 200 you would regret buying the 400 when you hit the open sections. I think the 525 would be great for the fact if the dual sport was a later option the 525 would handle highway speeds much beter then then 450 would. The 525 also has hardly any matinence along with the 450. I find the CRF450X to be a bit much to take care of. But in all any of the bikes you have listed would be great.

In what way is the CRF450X "more to take care of"? I'm thinking about picking one up and would love to hear more about this..
-Peter

Top Bottom