KDX1

Mod Ban
Jun 5, 2001
I am buying a 1967 Pontiac Firebird and went to look underneath up under the rear of the vehicle and noticed that there were no shock absorbers, just the leaf springs. Aren't there supposed to be shocks on the rear, or did Pontiac not use shocks on the rear of these first generation "birds"? Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated. :think:

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
I would think it'd have shocks, are there shock mounts?

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by XRpredator
Should have shocks, but only one traction bar.
Just like any good roach mobile or exhaust leak special! ;)

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
I be that baby bounces like a pogo stick!!! :scream:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Seriously, in '67 the Camaro and Firebird only had one traction bar to counteract wheelhop.

Can't be having wheelhop, it shakes up the beer that you have resting in your crotch! ;)

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Hey Pred! What's up with the Meatloaf lyrics?!! :)

KDX1

Mod Ban
Jun 5, 2001
Thank you everyone for the replies. I didn't get close enough to see if there were any shock mounts, but after talking with a co-worker, he said that it should have shocks too. It might be that the mounts were rusted off, and the previous owner just took the shocks off all together. I will inspect closer. I will be putting shocks on it, that is for sure. I have never driven a car without them, and I dont' want to either. :eek:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I used to race a '67 GM frame. They have shocks.
Tieing the frame together and adding ladder bars works wonders for wheel-hop on that particular model. Weight jacks also help them hook up mucho well on the dirt too! :)

( I won't mention welding up the spider gears. :eek: )

Last edited:

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by Jaybird
( I won't mention welding up the spider gears. :eek: )
Sure makes a lovely sound when going around a corner! ;)

KDX1

Mod Ban
Jun 5, 2001
Speaking of welding the spider gears, I plan to put a "locker" in the rear end. What is the best make to use and also, would this be a hard job to do my self. Are there any special tools that would be required to do this job? This car will be driven on the street and taken to the "strip" ever once in a while. :aj:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Push the bak of the car down hard. If it bounces and doesn't stop, the shocks are missing. If it stops and doesn't bounce, then you just missed where the shocks were mounted.

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
I doubt you can install your own locker, due to setting the lash which requires some special tools and knowledge. As far as brand, I have a Detroit in my car and have no problems. However, some of the newer style lockers may be a little smoother. Air lockers?

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
IMO the two best "posi" rear ends came as a third member in a Mopar 8-3/4" or Ford 9" rear ends. I never liked GM's "C" clip arrangement.

splatt

Resident mental case
~SPONSOR~
Dec 1, 2001
The rear shocks on GM F-bodies(Camaro,Firebird)are on the outside of the frame between the tires and the leaf springs. Take the tires off and they should be right there.

Steve

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Originally posted by WoodsRider

Sure makes a lovely sound when going around a corner! ;)

Yup! The sound of dirt roosting! :D
(not sure what right turns sound like)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom