sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
i think it might be an elec problem, cleaned the carb, got new reeds coming, old aren't too bad, new coil,new plug, it sparks, but looks weak, you can shoot starting fluid in it and it still won't start. sooo, i pulled of the ign cover and there was a lil water, some rust, and some oil dirt mix, i'm getting a puller to get a better look, but here's the question(we thumpers take longer) how do you set static timing on these things, the inept shop mech said there is no timing adj, but i see tick marks down there. i think the timing might be off, or it's just splooged up in there.it used to run, then i smoked the rings, got it back from inept shop, tried jetting(thought it was a 93, serial # says 83) then it just slowly quit running, every time it was harder to start, then it was the pull start, now nuthin'. thanks for any input.btw, it's jetted per the manual now for stock 83 spec(still aught-to start regardless)

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
When you pull the flywheel be sure to check the condition of the key. It could be the key has broke and the flywheel has rotated to the wrong position throwing off your timing.

There should be three timing marks on the housing and one on the stator. Stock timing is adjusted to the middle mark.

Check the flywheel out carefully. They have a reputation to cracking over tie and the magnets becoming dislodged. If that's the case you'll want to take to someone like Jeff Fredette at Fredette Racing Products about having it repaired or find a good used one.

Hope that helps,

David

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
In addition to what Dave says, the stators on the '83 - '85s go bad over time. When my '84 went out, it acted excactly like yours is doing - got harder to start each time I went to ride. Rewinding the stator 100% cured the problem. I paid to have mine done but I understand it is easy to do yourself.

My '84 also did eventually break the woodruff key holding the flywheel in position, and a chunk came off one of the magnets, too.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom