Lone

Jun 8, 2005
Hi all,

I bought a not running 86 KDX200 that is not getting any spark. I figured it would be easy to get running. Heh, I figured wrong.

The guy I bought it from says that he had the Stator rebuilt. I checked it with an Ohm meter and it appears to be close to spec. I checked the coil and it is in spec too.

I also purchased a brand new stock CDI unit and installed it. Still does not get any spark.

Question 1:
When I look at pictures for replacement Ignition Stators, they usually come in pairs and say to bolt both on. This bike only has a single stator coil. I took some pictures and was hoping someone with an 86 or 87 KDX200 or 220 could look at this and see if it looks right?

http://www.sluug.org/~wayne
(KDX Pics towards bottom)

Question 2:
My manual shows the Ignition coil on the bottom and light coil on top. On the bike, it is the other way around. Since I have not seen this in running condition, I don't know what is correct.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions you can offer.

Huskyriderone

Jun 29, 2005
my advice is get a new spark plug and if you did already look at your manual and fix everything thats different. and if that doesnt work the easiest and safest way to fix your bike is to just take it to your nearest motorcycle repair shop. its better to spend a little than try and fix it the wrong way and screw up something else. let me know how things go. oh yah, and remember when you go to get your new spark plug bring in your old one so they can match it up. good luck.

Top Bottom