Cannon00

Jul 20, 2002
hey everyone, my bike started acting up.
It misses a little when you put the throttle to 3/4 or wide open suddenly..the bike CAN make it to high rpms fine if you slowly roll the throttle on but power seems a little flat, so I'm ruling out electrical for the simple fact the bike sounds fine at high rpms, doesn't miss or hesitate, it's more a matter of the amount of gas you give it and suddeness than anything, and it's also smoking more than usual. I pulled the plug and it's black and wettish. I already tried cleaning out the carburetor, checked compression, replaced the spark plug, tried new gas, made sure the powervalve was working right, checked the reeds. I'm suspecting it's sucking in tranny oil. First guess would be the rightside crank seal. Any other ideas/possibilites? If it is this seal, would I need to split the base to swap it out, or can I change the seal just by removing the engine cover on the clutch side?
Thanks alot, this is really hassling me.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
The tranny seal is easily replaced without splitting the cases. You need to remove the large right side case, though. One thing to watch for when replacing the seal is to look at how deep the original crank seal is set in it's bore. It is possible to drive the new seal in too deep. This covers an oil hole coming from the top of the case, at the cylinder base, which keeps the crank bearing lubricated.

Top Bottom