Acerbis Flag-Light MX hand guard review

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
These are the new handguards Acerbis makes, slightly updated from the Flag handguards. A bit smaller and nicer looking.
They don't list a mounting kit for a TM, so I ordered the KTM mounting kit and black/white handguards.. My TM uses the same clutch perch/compression release lever as the KTM four-strokes, but my front brake master cylinder is a Nissin, not Brembo. I figured it would be easier to modify the brake side mount.

Either the parts guy screwed up and ordered a KTM 2-stroke mounting kit, or else that is the only KTM mounting kit that they make. If that is the case, they didn't leave room for the decompression lever to move freely. On the clutch side, the mounting bolt has a large head on it, which interferes with the cable end on the decompression lever. I used some tiny snap-rings as spacers for the decompression lever screw, which helped a bit, but it still rubs when you pull the lever in, and press it back out. I used some blue loc-tite to make sure the screw wouldn't come loose, as I imagine the lever is putting more force on it now.

I used the dremel tool to cut the brake-side plastic mount, and got it to work. It took less time than the clutch side, after all was over and done with.

The end result is good, they look great and work as intended. I can't blame them for the brake side needing to be modified, that's just one of the trade-offs for owning a weird bike. The clutch side may be Acerbis' fault or it may be my parts guy's fault. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

I give these a 9.5/10. They're sturdier than I thought, very adjustable, and look great. The .5 is taken off for my experience in mounting these things, but chances are you won't have the problems I did.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
here's a link to a pic of the handguards mounted:
a024_24.jpg

Jake T

Mar 23, 2000
Same here. I have the same guards and I had a hard time with the mounting brackets too.
the clutch side went on ok but the brake side guard had a knob thing sticking out that prevented
me from attaching the guard to the perch so I had to use a grinder to take the know off.
Even after that the guard doesn't cover up the lever all of the way. Looks like
I'll need some shorty levers :silly: Despite that I'd say ditto on the adjustability and durability.
I've had a few crashes on them and they've held up. I even clipped a tree with them
and they didn;t snap.

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
They went on fine on my CR. And they hold up great. I just took a header over the bars this weekend, and the bike went for a few flips. The perch broke. But the guards didn't. That was the first thing I looked at, because I had just put them on 20 minutes before that ;)

J.B.426

~SPONSOR~
Mar 20, 2000
I have these on my bike as well and I like them. Installation wasn't too bad but I did have to move the compression release lever to the front of the bars. I've laid it down a few times and they have held up very well.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom