any ktm 200sx onwers here? need advice

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
any 200sx owners here? i have been kicking around the idea of switching from a yzf 250 four stroke to a two stroke that i will be using for both woods and mx. i went to look at bikes last week and i wanted another 250 four stroke but the 200sx caught my eye and now i cant decide. the thing that concerns me the most is that i am use to riding the four stroke 250 which has really smooth power and great torque, i am worried that the 200sx will have too hard of a hit. can any of you guys explain what the power is like on the 200, is it really snappy? would a flywheel weight smooth out the power so it doesnt have that hard hit that two strokes are known for? is the 200 hard to keep on the pipe? could you you guys just give some infor on the bike and some pros amd cons to help me make a decision on what to buy.

CJG

Nov 24, 2001
I can't comment on the 200sx but I have had my 200 exc for about 2 /2 years now and love it. I pretty much ride half trails and half track and my bike works in both situations. It's definately better suited for the woods, though. As for hit it has a pretty good one and I would assume that the sx would be similar, less low end more top end, though. The snappy, responsive hit is what I really like. I have been so happy with my 200exc I have considered getting a 200sx because I am riding more and more track lately.

munch

~SPONSOR~
Jan 23, 2002
I have a 200sx and love it, but I didn't come off of a 4 stroke before owning.
The 200 needs to be ridden pretty aggressively, but after you get used to the change it is an awesome bike. I rode an 01 250sx ( I race HS and do light MX) prior to this bike,there was some what of a learning curve but I think you have that whenever you change bikes.
I think a Fly wheel weight would probably smooth things out pretty well. The bike does have a pretty good hit, but like CJG, I kinda get e rush from it!
Greg

nzambon

Apr 19, 2003
as a new KTM dealer as well as a kawi/yam dealer buy the KTM. The 200SX is that good not only is it faster than any 250F you will find it easier to ride and you will like the easier maintenance.

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
thank you all for responding. i know that the 200sx will be a lot less maintenance that the 4 stroke, it seems like i am always working on my yzf. as far as being easier to ride that the 4 stroke im not sure of, could you maybe expalin why you think the 200sx would be easier to ride than the 4 stroke?

bizzow

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2000
I have an 03 200sx, have ridden it off-road, also raced it in Vet Nov and 250C in motocross. Bike does everything well, but not anything great. Hp peak/curve similar to a 125 2st (a little higher), but you can ride it more like a 4st by lugging it around. It will pull around in the lower rpms in almost all situations off-road, but steep/technical hills require some revs/finesse/clutch work.

The sx suspension is not plush like a WR. Stock is a little stiff for me off-road, but I'm not super aggressive. A friend, who races a 2001 or 2002 WR250, switched bikes with me for a few minutes and he liked the lively feel and quick nature of the sx. I felt like I was on a big, comfy, wallowing couch on the WR. It was plush to say the least, and the power is perfect for off-road for me. It's just 30lbs too heavy.

The 200sx on the mx tracks: suspension was either too soft or harsh. Mine is perfect now for MX with a little help from Johnny Borders in Alabama.

I bought the 200sx because I wanted to ride SETRA harescrambles. But after a couple of off-road rides, I was reminded of just how rough it is in the woods, and how much abuse the bike takes (and my body; trees don't move). So, there you go. MX for me.

I think this is a great bike for harescramble type events. But maybe not the best for enduros unless you like your bike set up like Hawkins when he rode Suzuki.

By the way, I recently went up on the rear sprocket from stock 45 to 46, and it will pull the tightest turns in 3rd with some clutch. Man that's nice.

That enough babble for ya?

Lonewolf

May 30, 2002
my biggest concern with buying the 200sx is adapting form the four stroke to the two stroke. i do like to lug my bike around in the woods and i also ride mx too. i am also very concerned with looping out and having the worry about keeping the front end on the ground, i had a bad expirence with a 250 two stroke one time and got hurt, its a long story but im gonna keep it short. basically i was flying through a big open area and the front end popped up unexpectadly and i lost total control and went down very hard, thats all i remember other than waking up battered and bruised. i have only rode four strokes since.

Top Bottom