Anyone take Glucosamine and chondroitin? How much?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I was wondering if anyone here takes Glucosamine and chondroitin? How much can you take? I couldn't find any papers showing maximum dosages so I was wondering if any of you have any experience with taking it? What is your experience and does it help?

Pushin50

Dec 18, 2006
This is really a hit or miss supplement. I have been taking one 1500/1200 tablet a day for about two years. I used to feel a little pain in my knees climbing ladders and stairs. I also noticed I could sometimes feel the movement of my knee part while climbing. I started taking the supplement two years ago on the advice of a cousin whom had reported good results. It took 2-3 months of supplement consumption before I noticed the positive effects of the supplement. No pain in my knees and no sensation of moving parts. I know others who have taken the supplement with no effect. The literature with the supplement says improvement should happen within a couple weeks but it took me much longer to notice the effects. Some who have tried it and got no relief may not have taken it for a long enough time to get results. I plan to take this stuff for ever.

dales298

Mostly Useless
~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
I've taken 1500mg of glucosamine a couple of times a week for about 4 years now. I used to take it every day but found that less worked just as well for me. It didn't take very long to feel results and it really helps with these things I have called knees.

Dale

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I am on week number 2 and have also heard about 2-3 months for things to take effect. It kind of makes sense because this stuff is supposed to help grow, or help cartilage in general and from what I know cartilage grows slowly.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Pushin50 said:
This is really a hit or miss supplement. I have been taking one 1500/1200 tablet a day for about two years. I used to feel a little pain in my knees climbing ladders and stairs. I also noticed I could sometimes feel the movement of my knee part while climbing. I started taking the supplement two years ago on the advice of a cousin whom had reported good results. It took 2-3 months of supplement consumption before I noticed the positive effects of the supplement. No pain in my knees and no sensation of moving parts. I know others who have taken the supplement with no effect. The literature with the supplement says improvement should happen within a couple weeks but it took me much longer to notice the effects. Some who have tried it and got no relief may not have taken it for a long enough time to get results. I plan to take this stuff for ever.
Plus 1! :) I have been on it for 5-6 years and I take 1500/1200 also. I went off of it for a while a few years ago and after a few months I started feeling joint pain again. Started up again and all is fine now. My wife has arthritis and after she started taking it she noticed a marked improvement.

I think that some of those who see no benefits just don't give it enough time or try to cut the dosage to save money. Also, the relief you feel is gradual and they may not even realize they feel better, or attribute it to something else. All I know is it works for my wife and I and I'll keep using it.

It's expensive so I buy a local store brand (Wegman's in upstate NY) and I think I pay $13.95 for 120 (or 180??) tabs that I take twice a day. A lot cheaper than others. Shop around and you'll find some good deals.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
mx547 said:
How long did you take it for? Did you take it every day? How much?

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
the recommended daily dose. i tried it for years using different brands, types, etc. none of it worked. i know many people who swear by it. it just didn't work for me.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
I take two horse sized pills a day (1500 mg gl and 1250 cho in each pill). I really didn't notice any overnight change, but my knees did stop hurting and making noises going up stairs. I finally realized how much they helped me after I ran out and didn't buy any for about a week. My knees were back to hurting and clicking on the stairs. Took about another week of taking them before pain slowly subsided again. Others I know have mixed results. I suspect some don't take enough or not regularly enough; I also suspect these pills are not a magic bean for really bad joints or arthritis. They do seem to help me, though.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom