Are there smokeless and non-smokeless oils?

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
I just got my 2001 CR125 back from the shop yesterday. I had it for one day, apparently the piston seized, but they covered it for free meaning something fishy had to have been up. Well anyway here is the deal. It seems to me like the new oil they're running in the mix isn't smokeless like the Maxima stuff I bought. It's constantly puttering out the blue smoke typical of burning oil. I don't think anything's wrong and I just want you guys to verify to me that they're are smokeless oils like the stuff I have, and regular oils that still smoke.

Jake T

Mar 23, 2000
Ya know, it's funny. I'm running supposedly "smokeless" oil in my 125 yet
it still smokes when you get on the gas! What's up with that?
Is there no way a 2 stroke can be smoke free?

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
The stuff I was running the day it blue up only smoked when I mashed it hard. This stuff smokes much more consistently. It is a little rich, but not that rich really. Oh well, I'm still breaking her in on this tank, and I'd rather have it rich for that really anyway.

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
the techs at the shop might have richened up your jetting to prevent another seizure, possibly the reason they covered the rebuild is because they set it up too lean during assembly. Just a thought. Richer jetting = more smoke.

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
Yeah, well it seems to be running fine although I haven't mashed it yet. A little rich won't kill anything. When I clean my plug I'll see how wet it is.

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
The oil they mixed for me still might not be smokeless oil, but for sure the bike is running a little rich too. There's goopy spooge all over the tailpipe and rear fender so I know that mixture is a little too much. Oh well, it's just for break in and next time when I mix it, it'll be a perfect 32:1.

Top Bottom