Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Thanks for the info. Odd though, not sure why that would be?
If you don't mind, version of windows and what browser? What is your internet connection speed?

One thing you might want to try is closing the right hand sidebar. There's a little arrow up on the right side that will close it.
That will take some of the load off.

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
I have had problems logging in....the site would not remember my info and I'd re-enter it. That seems to have been cleared up?

On my mobile phone, I can't post without it duplicating. After I click "post quick reply" it routes me to another page where my post is still in que, then I have to hit "post reply". Then it posts it twice. Normally, you just hit post reply and it routes you back to the thread.

I'm also having difficulty just simply getting the site to load, on both my phone and my PC. It's very slow to load, or won't at all. I tried to reload the page for 30 minutes last night, and finally gave up. I sent 09oneL a text, which is why I'm assuming he chimed in.

I'm sure you worked hard on your update. Sorry that some of us are having problems. I have no idea what bandwidth or speed my internet is.....I have tried both the Google Chrome and I.E., and have found that neither works better.

Hope this helps in someway. I did delete the side tool bar as you suggested. Makes reading multiple posts (like I do when I have to score the races) easier. Thanks.

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
Contest Results: Texas

1. 09oneL: 27 points
2. RayRacing88: 23
2. Yam7M: 23
4. SGTJohansen: 22
5. BoneHead: 21
6. FredT: 20
7. Tylerharris46: 19
8. Kreamerf: 18
8. NoamSayn: 18
10. TDunn: 17

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
Championship Points thru: Texas

1. RayRacing88: 182 points
2. FredT: 173
3. Kreamerf: 163
4. SGTJohanesen: 156
4. 09oneL: 156
6. Yam7M: 154
7. BoneHead: 146
8. NoamSayn: 142
9. TDunn: 105
10. Tylerharris46: 46

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I have had problems logging in....the site would not remember my info and I'd re-enter it. That seems to have been cleared up?

That would be a cookie problem, ie; the site moved, the browser wouldn't allow the site to put a new cookie there ... if it happens again, deleting cookies in the browser will generally fix it.

On my mobile phone, I can't post without it duplicating. After I click "post quick reply" it routes me to another page where my post is still in que, then I have to hit "post reply". Then it posts it twice. Normally, you just hit post reply and it routes you back to the thread.

I'm about to finish up a mobile phone skin that you'll be able to select for use on small screen devices. There's a lot going on with the full site, phones, including my HTC ONE have some issues. Watch for a post about the new skin. Couple days maybe?

I'm also having difficulty just simply getting the site to load, on both my phone and my PC. It's very slow to load, or won't at all. I tried to reload the page for 30 minutes last night, and finally gave up. I sent 09oneL a text, which is why I'm assuming he chimed in.

Not sure why that would be. Granted the new site is bigger than the last (roughly 6% larger), but it shouldn't be a noticeable difference. One thing you might try is to flush the DNS on your PC.

[h=3]Windows® 8[/h]

1. Press Win+X to open the WinX Menu.
  2. Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
  3. Type the following command and press Enter: <code>ipconfig /flushdns</code>
  4. If the command was successful, you will see the following message: It will return: Windows IP configuration successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.
[h=3]Windows 7[/h]

1. Click the Start button.
  2. Enter <code>cmd</code> in the Start menu search field.
  3. Right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
  4. Type the following command and press Enter: <code>ipconfig /flushdns</code>
  5. If the command was successful, you will see the following message: Windows IP configuration successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache.

[h=3]Windows XP, 2000, or Vista®[/h]

1. Click the Start button.
  2. On the Start menu, click Run....
    • If you do not see the Run command in Vista, enter <code>run</code> in the Search bar.
  3. Type the following command in the Run text box: <code>ipconfig /flushdns</code>

Then restart.

Little bit of a hassle, but should be done once in a while anyway. Consider it an oil change :)

I'm sure you worked hard on your update. Sorry that some of us are having problems. I have no idea what bandwidth or speed my internet is.....I have tried both the Google Chrome and I.E., and have found that neither works better.

Hope this helps in someway. I did delete the side tool bar as you suggested. Makes reading multiple posts (like I do when I have to score the races) easier. Thanks.

Thanks for the info, yes it does help.

09oneL

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2008
Are we the only group that is having issues? My PC works just fine on other sites and such. I do not think it has anything to do with my browser or speed. I would think that you would be having issues throughout your user bases.

It has taken me 3 reloads to post this quick reply - I get "dirtrider.net not responding" a lot.

Thanks

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
09oneL

Here are example test results from pingdom, a testing site webmasters use a lot for testing most aspects of website speed.
I've checked it many times a day over the last few weeks, the results are always similar.

I wish I could tell ya what your issue is, so far you haven't given me any information I can use to narrow it down and there are way too many variables on the internet for me to guess.

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 127

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
Ok...whatever change that you made for mobile devices appears to have helped. Thanks!

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
I've also noted that the advertisements that used to appear in the middle of posts.....splitting up the text of the post.....are not appearing today. Not sure if you made a change recently, but the site appears to be working better for me today.

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
Not trying to be combative.....please understand that....I know how it feels to work on something, only to get hammered for it....so I "get it"....but I thought I'd share this with you to consider....

A series promoter for XC bicycle races did a similar change/update to their website a couple years ago here in Michigan. When they had similar problems....IE site won't load properly; can't see the entire page; etc....they told us, their user group, to fix problems on our computers so that we could see their site. That didn't go over very well, as those that were experiencing the problems did not have problems viewing other sites of similar style. One of their issues was the "size" of the page layout....I may not be saying that right...but I think you referenced that in one of your previous posts...something about it being only 6% bigger or something. That was one of their issues, along with a few others. They finally caved and made changes so that all users were able to view the site without having to make changes to their computer.

Now, I'm not a uber-techie, so I know that some of the suggestions that you made are only meant to help and part of normal computer "clean up" and operation. And I thank you for that! I just don't want to have to "change" the way I view the site, as those changes will cross over into viewing other sites, resulting in text that my aging eyes won't be able to see!!! LOL!

Again, this comes with all the respect and thanks for working on the site. I'm sure that there's a boat load of crap that you put up with and worked on. Just giving you feedback, instead of just beotching!

Thanks!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I'm actually working on "work" today, so I'll have to make it quick.

Are you saying the site is too wide to view now?
Fonts too small?

FYI, the 6% thing was size, in bytes of the pages, not the width. As it is now, it will get pretty narrow and you have the option of turning off the side bar (it will stay off too, assuming your browser doesn't have a problem with the cookie, ie; won't save it for whatever reason.)

About adapting. Users shouldn't have to. Problem is, the developers of the browsers cause MASSIVE compatibility problems for those of us that code sites. We try to provide the most useful, efficient site we can, then when all the users of different OS's (windows/mac/unix) different monitor resolutions, different devices (desktop, tablet, phone) using all the different browsers, start having problems, we work to add code to cover each browser or (as there's usually NOT a fix) work backwards removing stuff that we would have liked the user to have. It's just a lot of back and forth.

The browsers all want to be "the fastest", so they employ all kinds of caching stuff .. meaning, they keep a lot of a site's stuff in local memory ... so it doesn't have to load it again. User thinks, wow, that's fast. Problem is if there is a lot of work going on with the site, the browser can lose track of what's new/old/changed... crazy stuff can happen, at least temporarily.

About website changes in general .... they ALWAYS get a lot of heat, even if they work perfectly put of the gate, nothing new there. Some folks just don't dig change of any kind.

All that was just an FYI, I understand the frustration and I'm not being combative either ... I appreciate the feedback. Especially when it includes enough information for me to be able to figure out what the problem is. What's frustrating on my side is, when I see "this site sucks, it's broken". And that's it! LOL. Can't do anything for that person, they gave me nothing to work with.

We really should have started a new thread for this. I'll move it out of this thread and make a new one (in the Michigan forum) tonight.

Opps.. last thing.

About the ads. Man, I REALLY wish I didn't have to run 'em at all. If for nothing else, there are some seriously ugly ones that I cant stand seeing on DRN.
Mostly, I wish they weren't there to disrupt the user's visit.

rayracing88

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 24, 2009
1.Villopoto
2.Dungey
3.Stewart
4.Roczen
5.Barcia
6.Brayton
7.Short
8.Tomac
9.Hahn
10.Tickle

09oneL

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2008
Stewart
Roczen
villopoto
Dungey
Barcia
Tomac
Brayton
Short
Hahn
Ticklel

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
Stewart
Villopoto
Dungey
Barcia
Brayton
Roczen
Tomac
Tickle
Hahn
Short

Last edited:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Villo
stewart
dungey
roczen
barcia
brayton
tomac
short
tickel
hahn

Yam7M

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 3, 2008
Contest Results: Atlanta

1. Yam7M: 33 points
2. NoamSayn: 25
2. SGTJohansen: 25
2. Tylerharris46: 25
5. FredT: 22
6. Kreamerf: 21
7. BoneHead: 18
8. 09oneL: 17
8. RayRacing88: 17
10. TDunn: 15

The AMA should send Alessi to Canada early. Can't stand that punk. What a tool.

Top Bottom