Arrowhead ride-San Bernardino Mtns., Ca.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Well, I survived another DRN trail-ride with the So. Cal crazies-the usual suspects---Thumbs and his friend 'Digger' Dave came up from Orange County, as did Scartissue; oldandslo made the trek from the south bay (L.A.); the Eel came up from Hollywood, Bundy from Corona, and RMjeff from Fontana. 8 of us was the perfect number for the ride we did, as dust and rocks and Gnarly single track spread us out pretty good.
Since the majority of us (5) were on 2-smokes, we decided we would try to do a 60 mile loop, but would check fuel at Deep Creek crossing,(20 mile mark) to see how we would fare.
We all met at MickeyDees by the freeway so we could caravan to the staging area about 15 miles away. After everyone got unloaded, dressed and fueled we had a couple of little problems from the get-go: the Eel was jetted too rich, and thumbs CR would not start. Eels was an easy fix, as he brought extra jets, and the carb on his 125 Husky was easily accessable. Thumbs on the other hand had quite the dilema: choke on--no good, choke off--no good, new plug--no good. Then he hit upon an idea---as much as he hated to admit in front of everyone that he may have boneheaded, he threw out the suggestion that perhaps he had forgotten to remove the rag from his intake tract when he remounted his air filter. The whole crew gathered around his bike as he removed his seat and air filter. You can imagine the kind of ribbing that thumbs had to tolerate for the rest of the day when the removal of the air filter revealed a bright red shop rag!
Problem solved, so it's off to the trails. The rocks were brutal on the first leg, and we were looking into the sun, so between the sun and the dust you couldn't avoid hitting a few. About 7 miles out we stopped to re-group, and Bundy pointed to his now flat front tire. We couldn't come up with the right tools between us to get his wheel off, so it was back to the trucks for him for a tube and good tools.
The rest of us set out for the Deep Creek crossing, hoping to still make it in time to meet Mtngoat and his buddies coming down from Big Bear, but by the time we got to the crossing we were 25 min. late. It's amazing how long 15 miles of twisty, rocky single track takes to navigate. We had told Bundy we would kill some time at the creek to give him opportunity to catch up before the last leg up Ballbuster and on to the Malcolm Smith trail. We decided to cross over and wait under the trees. the Eel got a little overzealous in the stream crossing and drowned his bike. It was okay though, because it gave us some entertainment while we waited.
Eel finally got the bike to run, and we headed out again just as Bundy showed up.
The climb up Ballbuster was very tricky, as there were a bunch of jeeps hung up all over the trail as usual taking all the good lines.
It looked like a group of Japanese tourists on a jeep tour, and they all were very entertained watching us pick our way through the jeeps. I missed the crashes, so you other guys will have to fill us in on those, but I know 'Digger' Dave and Scar got to witness my dramatic boulder u-turn when the traction went away during a 90 degree 'I gotta change my line' manuever.
The rest of the ride was more of the same, with another bike drowning on the way back, but I have to say that the best part of the ride for me had to be the last 15 miles, after we got separated into two groups. Eel, Thumbs, Bundy and I decided to take the 'most difficult' trail, and these guys are no slouches, so it was push hard all the way back.
Scar---your suspension on that KLX is perfect in the rocks---no wonder you were flying!
:cool:
All in all a great ride with great people. Any of you So Cal guys that have been hesitant to come out on one of our rides don't know what you've been missing!:D

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Thanks to KTMBoy for setting it up ... it was a blast. And this is a great bunch of guys to ride with ... RMJeff, Bundy, Thumbs, Old'n'Stealthy, Digger Dave, Scar Tissue and KTMBoy ... all the usual suspects !

Met up at MD's at around 7:30 and the crew was all ready and waiting. We reach the staging area and BRRRRRR - it's pretty cold under the pines. I'm glad I brought extra jets 'cause I neglected to re-jet beforehand .... popped in a 390 main and she starts up after I brilliantly flood her several times. You already heard about Thumbs and his star performance. We were all glad he remembered about that mischievous rag.

We set off on a pretty brisk pace on some rocky fireroads for several miles and boy was it DUSTY ! I was terrified as I could barely see the rocks, not to mention I still can't turn worth a darn on flat hard pack. (Right Bundy ?) :) Shortly thereafter Bundy's flat makes its appearance and off we go while he races back to the truck to "fix-a-flat".

We takes turns leading through Arrowhead's nice woodsy single track and make our way to Deep Creek. I thrash through the creek and manage to kick up enough splashing to drown out my bike. Sixty kicks and some drainage later and she finally starts. Everyone else gets through unscathed and its fun to watch everyone pick their way onto Ballbuster from creekside - a great rock garden that makes for some terrific action shots.

Ballbuster proves to be pretty exciting as there are a few get offs and plenty of 4x4's to spice things up. We get into the Big Bear woods trails and boy are they fun. Much more uphill / downhill than the Arrowhead side of the creek - kinda tricky when you're bookin'. Thumbs shredded through this section - I'm remembering he also ripped this trail earlier in the year at the Big Bear ride. Nice.

We took a break for awhile and unfortunately didn't venture as far as the Malcolm Smith trail. Too many 2-strokes and not enough gas - except for Old'n'Stealthy's XR !

On the way back we ran across a seized WR 426 and later at Deep Creek we got to see a guy lose his balance in the creek and completely submerge his WR400. COMPLETELY ! Between Bundy's flat and these two guys it was clearly a tough day for Yamaha. :p KTMBoy gives me some pointers on stream crossing and sure enough he's right ... I get across without drowning out.

Later on Scar gets me back for an earlier .. ahem .. shall we say incident. We both wind up on the ground in a cloud of dust on a very sandy hill. As I'm getting off the ground I look downhill and see Dave stopped halfway up on his YZ 125. He knows he's gonna have a heck of a time getting up the hill now so he yells out "F&#k". My feelings exactly as I'm getting up off the ground. (Way to stick with it Dave ... your well timed expletive made the moment totally hilarious) :)

We get split up on the way back and I wind up trying to catch KTMBoy, Thumbs and Bundy all the way back to camp. No can do.

Back at camp - cold ones and bike tests - and talk about Johnny Campbell :o , Larry Roesseler, Shane Watts, Tim Staab, Paul Krause and the CRF 450.

It really doesn't get much better ... except we missed MountainGoat.

Last edited:

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Great Reports

Sounds like I missed out on another good one.

I nearly submerged my bike on the Deep Creek crossing a while back. It's easy to get your wheels caught between the concrete slabs at the bottom (if you develop a fixation).

I spent the weekend at Perris raceway, and saw a few of the new CRF450's. No one paid much attention to them.:eek:

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
I had a great time.
Since you guys allready touched on the positives I will pick up the negatives for ya.

The dust....... So I stayed back and later broke off with Scar. Our ride back was pretty uneventful but quick. Much easier than sucking dust for an hour.

Food..... By the time we were finished I was starving. Pretty sure I wasnt the only one. I think if nobody was around Dave would have attacked that soggy sandwich. Myself, I bbq'd a tri-tip when I got home.

It was long, rocky, dusty, tiring and my body hurt the next day. When are we going again?

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
I have to say I was sorry I missed this one. Not sure if Jr. would have made it though, sounded a little tough for him.

Saturday was a sorrowful day, thanks for not razzing me on not going but I had to say goodbye to a friend.

Sunday came around and my friend in Hesperia invited me to ride with them at a new track in Victorville. Figured I could use soem fun, so I went. The track is called the Victorville Motocross Complex off of Stoddard Wells Road and the 15. It's new and I think it has only been opened for less than a month. The owner talked with us and he seemed real nice and open to suggestions. I'm going to post a full report for everyone shortly.

I'm planning a ride to Ocotillo on the 27th of October, Saturday. I'll post that too.

Thanks
Elk

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Originally posted by ktmboy
choke on--no good, choke off--no good, new plug--no good. Then he hit upon an idea---as much as he hated to admit in front of everyone that he may have boneheaded, he threw out the suggestion that perhaps he had forgotten to remove the rag from his intake tract when he remounted his air filter. The whole crew gathered around his bike as he removed his seat and air filter. You can imagine the kind of ribbing that thumbs had to tolerate for the rest of the day when the removal of the air filter revealed a bright red shop rag!
Someone has to provide the entertainment...........
Not only did I have to take the ribbing but they made me put the rag back in the airbox and pull it out again so that they could get a picture.:o.......with friends like that I don't need any........never mind. Looks like I'll have to blame "the rag incident" on being beerheaded rather than boneheaded as Digger Dave had me pounding beers until midnight while we were preping our scooters on the previous night.:eek: That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

I managed to stay on my bike all day without any get-offs. But there were a few times when I felt like the Pinball Wizzard when I was bouncing from one side of the trail to the next barley holding on and even making my own trail when needed.

Everyone else pretty much filled in the other stuff with the exception of Scar Tissue vs Ball Buster........anyone care to elaborate?

All in all it was another great ride with some of the So. Cal. DRN crew.:) :)

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Re: Re: Arrowhead ride-San Bernardino Mtns., Ca.

Originally posted by thumbs

Everyone else pretty much filled in the other stuff with the exception of Scar Tissue vs Ball Buster........anyone care to elaborate?

Hey if your gonna crash do it in front of alot of people, with cameras. I must heard from 10-15 people, hey man are you OK.

All day I was cruising, feeling like a technician, dodging rocks and trees, and hanging with the front of the pack. Then on Ballbuster, someone stalled out right in front of the good line so I took another which appearently wasn't the best call. plowed a boulder and insta- stopped.

Then I got a little mad , took a different line, was going to fast and went over the bars.

Then got even madder, Because te last crash was stupid and my seat came partially off, went faster and my knee and a boulder had a little disagreement. :confused:

Finally went slow and made it up easy. Rest of the day was a blast. only other get off was on a sandy dusty uphill were I was following guys to close couldnt see that the trail went left and I kept going straight unti a friedly tree/ rock combo decided to stop me. uneventful little tip over.

Sun couldn't hardly walk, knee was swollen up like a grapefruit. I'll live, just iced all day. and watched the playoffs and football.

Bundy that 250f is sweet, thanks for the test drive, KTMboy same for the 360, though I was so fatigued it was had to enjoy it. .

mtngoat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 12, 2000
Sorry guys. Stuntman Dave has a new love in his life and is trying to sort out dating/ride priorities. He was supposed to pick up my repaired pipe and didn't show.
And I promised my wife "no solo rides" after my last solo disaster. And the kids wanted us to watch the grandbaby.
And I'm still recovering from a major "eat" on Malcolm Smith two weekends ago that "branded my arm with a chest protector imprint. and..
Excuses, excuses.. Hope it was fun. Sorry I missed it, I'll be sure to catch the next one. Riding up here should be good through December.
Anyone catch the trail designations from Miller Canyon? I still haven't made that ride.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
mtngoat,

Re: trail designations. It was left, no right, this way, no wait that way. :confused: My favorite line was: "all these trails end up about the same place anyway!" Yeah, like somewhere still in California!!!!

oldandslo acually knew the way. He may have the trail numbers. Since I can't give you the answers at least I could send you in the right direction.

oldandslo

Aug 29, 2001
Great ride reports. You guys pretty much covered it all. Dave aand I saw a guy with a 2 or 3 year old on back a 4 or 5 year old in front. This was on the single track. Nobody mentioned the jeep at Deep Creek. That jeep came just as we were getting tired of watching Eel trying to kickstart his bike. Anyway I think we were all impressed when it took a left and went up and over the boulder.
When washing my bike Sunday I noticed my sharkfin was gone. One of those boulders most have ate it up.
Mtn goat: From Deep Creek stay left on All OHV designated trails. You will end up at Miller Canyon. It might be alittle shorter with other turns, but I need the map. The return is all rights.
Can`t wait till next time.

Top Bottom