ascot thunder series awards banquet

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
the awards banquet for the ascot thunder series was held sunday at the performing arts center in alma, arkansas. drners bswift, motox757, myself and my daughter were in attendance. they starting the banquet with pizza and pop for everyone. for some reason, they had the food in a room that would only hold about half the people there. after eating, they showed terrafirma III on the big screen in the auditorium. that was kinda cool. awards were given out to the top five finishers in each class. due to injuries, bswift and i didn't race enough rounds to be eligible. motox757 placed in two classes :thumb: . my daughter won the women's open class and got a huge personalized plaque and a $30 certificate from scott usa. she got up on stage and thanked her sponsors, including her little sister :confused: .they divided up the contingencies so that everyone who raced at least one round would get a prize. kendall and i got 2 oil measuring cups, a can of waterproof grease, an answer kidney belt, two goggle bags and a pair of tire irons (which i gave away). in previous years, the chance of winning was based on how many rounds you raced. we made out like bandits then, not quite the haul this year. of course that meant someone would be left out so they changed it. speaking of being left out, perhaps bswift you like to discuss that. :o

they also gave away a new 03 yz 125. they called out two names of people that weren't there. the third name and winner was a little kid, probably a pee wee or 60 rider.

Last edited:

motox757

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 14, 2001
I had a good time, it did drag on for awhile though. All in all, the track owner did a GREAT job of keeping the track in shape all year and he put on a great banquet. I also got a goggle bag, de-fogger, funnel (w/ lids, can't remember the name), and few other goodies. Also, two personalized plaques for the year. YEAH!

It was neat when the kid went up there to get the 125, he must have been about four feet tall...

Hey, Bswift... ...FOUL!!!... hehehehe...

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Well, first off, MX547 got this acheivement award AND everyone that has received it won their class the following year!  Guess I'll have to ride the over 30 enstead of over 40! ;)   The banquet was fun and I got to see some of the competitors with good lighting and without helmet hair(that applies to those with hair).  The corraled us in a room, thanked all of us for racing and then gave us each a numbered ticket.
As the presented awards they would take a break and announce a ticket and give away prizes.  Bike stands, gas cans, goggles, chest protectors, oil, etc, etc.  Then some more awards, more prizes, yada yada.  Well, you see, they were not putting the tickets back into the bowl so you could see that the tickets were becoming fewer and fewer.  Now I am usually a very lucky person(rather be lucky than good anyday) but it got down to 1 ticket and when they called it out, it wasn't mine.   They called all the numbers around me but no 722311.  Well, "Foul!".  The guys spoke up and they showed pity on me and gave me a box of rocks(actually some exhaust plugs, 1 four stroke and 1 two stoke)  It was good to see everyone.  I agree with motox757, the track was/is well maintained is a good intermediate track.   Billywho would probably call it a GP track. :p

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
MX547, Has Ascot set dates for the Thunder series for 03? Hopefull next year I can get in enough rounds and make it to the awards banquet next year.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by BSWIFT
Well, first off, MX547 got this acheivement award AND everyone that has received it won their class the following year

it was the joe dyer sportsmanship award. it's really a "hard luck" award rather than an achievement award. nevertheless, i was very surprised and honored to receive it. i sure didn't expect it. it's nice to know after all the money i've spent there over the last several years that they are thinking about me. they are good people. this plaque will be hung in the house instead of the garage. i fully intend to keep up the tradition of winning the championship the following year. :cool:

sawblade, no dates yet. they usually start the first saturday in april and run once or twice a month through october. you only have to race one round to be eligible for banquet prizes but to get contingencies and trophies, you have to place top five overall in your class for the series.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by mx547
it's really a "hard luck" award 

Like I said, "an acheivement award".  You definitely acheived the "hard luck" this season.;)

Top Bottom