MilkJuGGz

Apr 1, 2002
Hey all,

I just started riding recently, and bought my first pair of boots. After rying on Answer T2, Thor T20's, and Tech 6's I decided to go with the RC-5. Felt like they were quality and had lots of support.

I've do lots of sports that require protective equipment, so I never skimp when it comes to spending... so that justified the price of these boots.

But dang, these things are stiff! I've been wearing some normal 8" boots while riding, and even though it feels like I can stomp the crap out of anything with these things on, it feels like both of my feet are in casts!

From what I've read, these will break in and become more flexible, and I'll get used to them, but did I make the wrong decision? Should I have bought cheaper boots, like the T-20's, which are more flexible? I'm thinking maybe something with more mobility will actually be safer for me, since I'm just starting out and I'll be able to move my feet around easier.

I plan on riding a lot, and so far I'm learning quickly. In the future I'd like to race, but most likely not MX. Should I keep these and learn to use em?

~JuGGz

Battered Sav

~SPONSOR~
Nov 16, 2000
Yeah kepp em, new boots can be horridly stiff, start wearing them whenever you get a chance, sometimes wetting them can help soften them a bit too.
You wont worry how stiff they are when your foot is stuck under the bike or against a tree or you just kicked that rock at wfo.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Keeping in mind what Battered Sav just said, I just returned a new pair of RC-5's & exchanged them for a pair of O'Neal Hardwears. The AXO's just seemed way too stiff. I was worried they'd never break in. I like the idea of protection, but they seemed just like you say- it felt like some Good Fellas custom made a pair of cement shoes for me.

I read Mully's report on the O'Neals, and also talked to Jeff at MXSouth about them. When telling Jeff what I didn't like about the AXO's, he at first recommended a pair of Alpinestars M6's. But I asked him what he knew about the O'Neals, & then it kinda hit him ( it had slipped his mind a second ago)- he just bought the Hardwears for himself after trying on about every boot he carries.

So I took his advise & the Hardwears arrived yesterday. Just like he & Mully described- very comfortable for a brand-spankin new pair of boots. In fact, they're as comfortable now as my old Fox Trackers! Thanks, guys!

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I had a pair of axo RC 4's 2000 models been wearing them up till recently. When I orginally got them they were really stiff (many missed shifts) after like 4-5 rides they finally started to break in and move alittle easier. But I can't say i'll get them again once the boot breaks down thier ankle support go's with'em. Its fine for trail riding but after many fail double jumps and coming up short and getting sharp impacts transmitted right to my ankles I started getting worried. So now I wear aplinestar tech 8's much better boot overall. I'm not dissing the axo's just be aware of when the ankle breaks down cause then thier ankle support is gone. I still wear'em for trail riding as my thrasher boots but the soles are starting to die.

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
I wear the RC4's also and like the previous posts, they are stiff at first but loosen up quite nicely. I bought them because they were $130 at Bob's. I like them very much for that price, but the soles are wearing rather quickly. I would love to have the T-8s but can't afford that price.

MilkJuGGz

Apr 1, 2002
Thanks for all the replies

I took them out for the first time today and was suprised that they don't feel too alien while riding. I don't look like Frankenstein when walking either, so I'm getting adjusted to them.

The only problem I experienced so far is upshifting. It feels like I'm wearing clown shoes with a huge toe, so I really have to point my foot downward to get it under the shift lever. Other than that, I'm getting comfortable with them. Another thing I noticed is that it's a little harder to reach the ground when just sitting on the bike, because I can't point my feet downwards. They seem to be conforming to my feet even after an hours worth of riding (or my feet are conforming to them lol) These things feel like inline skates without the wheels, but I'm starting to like it.

Any more suggestions? I'll keep aware of the ankle support.

I would have liked to have tried on the Hardwears (they sound great), but my store didn't have my size.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
That was my problem, too- my local shop only stocks Alpinestars. I was pretty sure I didn't want Alpinestars, so I pretty much had to take my chances. Luckily MXSouth is a pretty darn good company & have been helpful so far.

I'd say that if you've already worn them, give them a chance. Unless you're made of money. In that case, when you buy some new pants, why don't you throw a pair of size 36's my way? ;)

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I have RC4's, and like you was miss-shifting when I first got them. I took the shifter and moved it down or up(I think it was down:confused:) one spline on the shifter shaft. Problem solved.

Top Bottom