Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
WOW! Now that was an enduro if you wanted to be grinning from ear to ear! We had 5 sections for the B class and the A class had 6. The first section was 7 miles and the rest were all around 10-12 miles long. The trail would be very similar to Jackpine stuff, not exceptionally tight just in and out of it and flowing fun trail. I would say it was one of the most fun enduros I ever rode, but maybe the fact that I ain't rode since Goshen had something to do with it. I was feeling the fact that I have not rode in the last 10 mile section but I sucked it up, roide a good pace tried not to make mistakes and take it all in.

An enduro with 600 riders is quite a spectacle. Lets just say the trail is well broken in after they all go theough. We re-rode the first section for a bit goin out to the last section after gas, WOW! Southwick!!

They had pit bike races on Sat night and the track was spectacular-best mini track I ever saw. i would have loved to take a few laps on it on my 110 but I'd probably got hurt racing Sat night. I think one guy had a $15000 mini bike and 6 can of race fuel in his van-he was out of control. He won only because his bike was fast because Kalib Russel was faster but didn't quite have as nice of bike by a mile.

It's no surprise the boys down there are fast so planning on getting off the couch in snow bound Michigan and winning is out of the question. I met my goal to be in the top 10 out of 40 riders in my class-I got 9th and got beat by 10 points by the first place guy so it wasn't a terrible beating. I don't think I've ever competed against that many guys in my class before. Most classes had at least 20 guys in them.

Having a front row seat on row 17 to watch the first few pros go by was a treat and the trail allowed me to pull off into the woods and let them by with out too much of a problem so that was cool. I'd hate to hold them up and I hate to have to stop totally so i didn't have to do either. It was obvious to me that Bobbit was fastest from the guys I could see, Lafferty was always a few extra seconds behind him by more than a full minute. Kilpartick went by next and he's pretty damn quick. i also got caught by Jeff Melik and that was about as far into the "show" as I got. The most impressive was Bobbit to keep that bike pinned on the pipe like that in the woods is really cool to see. Lafferty is really smooth and keeps the thumper churning and must drag the crap out of his brakes.

All 4 of us had a great time, had fun riding and want to go back next year. The weather was about 60 when we got there and stayed warm and rainy. Sunday it was overcast, wet perfect sandy trails and about 48 degrees. Perfect day for a ride. :nod:

Results: http://www.sermaclub.com/Results/2009End.mht

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
mideastrider said:
http://www.nationalenduro.com/Home.html
Try that link they have the scores up. Fred was that your jersey I took back to the Mission trailer?

Yeah, Thanks a ton for helping me out. I felt much better after I took that second jersey off. I appreciate your help. :cool:

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
The club put on an awesome race, as Fred said the trails were great.
Directions on how to turn a great Enduro into a bad day!
1. Start the race and then remember that you DON'T have your goggles on and race the first two sections without goggles. Borrow a pair at gas available(thanks Aaron Wagner)

2. Make a pass on another rider halfway through the third section and hit a tree breaking off your barkbuster triple clamp mount when he stands his bike up as you get ready to pass. Tear off barkbuster and throw into woods, continue to race.

3. Fourth section. Catch a vine on allen screw at end of handle bar where barkbuster used to be, yard sale bike, leaving neck looking like you escaped a lynching (ouch).

4. Fifth section. Hit stump and crash hard.

5. Finish thinking that you are going to be dead last. Finding out that you finished 10th place out of 36 .........priceless.

Well worth the 16 hour drive to NC :cool:
Man I hope the snow melts soon.

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Thanks........Maytag!

Loctite

Jun 1, 2001
Thanks for the report. Glad everyone finished and are back home safe.
Don - great finish with all the challenges you had.
The idea of being rider 600 in this event does not sound to good...

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
The lady at the Forest Headquarters said they let them bump it up to 645 riders......

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
Nick, no JD before, but afterwards there was one in my hand... :cool:

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
fatherandson said:
FredT thanks for clarifying the edited post from DW...I mean Maytag.
Ya my bad - I was way outa line on my post. I apologize.

Last edited:

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
OMG....an apology???? Of course, DW edited the original response an hour afterwards. Who know what the original message said?

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
fatherandson said:
OMG....an apology???? Of course, DW edited the original response an hour afterwards. Who know what the original message said?
hehehe :nod:

TCTrailrider

Jan 19, 2004
Wolverine423 said:
Ya my bad - I was way outa line on my post. I apologize.

Thats a first. Its winter, a very looooong one. Plenty of time to make up, come spring. Until then keep tossing poop, some of us look forward to the good reading. :ride: I heard some sterroid stuff may be involved in the SS class. :nod:

Don Marsh

~SPONSOR~
Jun 5, 2001
"I heard some sterroid stuff may be involved in the SS class"
Maybe, its just hard to prove............But thanks for the contact Denny. :cool:

wyatt

Apr 3, 2002
TCTrailrider said:
Thats a first. Its winter, a very looooong one. Plenty of time to make up, come spring. Until then keep tossing poop, some of us look forward to the good reading. :ride: I heard some sterroid stuff may be involved in the SS class. :nod:
Ya got that right TCT, the steroids are in the "creams"
they use. Just a rumor.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom