MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I just lost my job yesterday. The work load has really dropped over the past 6 months and they cut 15% of the entire staff. I know it wasn't anything I did just no work flow. :(

The good news is there are a few jobs that I fit the description of on the internet right here where I live. I am polishing up my resume and will be applying for them tonight or tomorrow. I pray this is a quick process as I have never lost a job before. I've got to get my interviewing skills back up to speed.

As Chili requested I am a Structural Engineer in the Charlotte, NC area. I am hoping to stay in this area as I have 3 children in school here.

Last edited:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Sorry to hear Mike, Good luck and hope you land a new gig soon :cool: Also what kind of work do you do? Lot's of folks cruise DRN so it never hurts to mention what kind of work you are looking for.

knowiam

~SPONSOR~
Oct 17, 2006
Hang in there Mike! You know where to put your trust :nod:
Ken

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Sorry to hear that Mike. I went through that in 2004 then again in 2005 when my Dad was sick and I chose to take care of him instead.

It is not a fun place to be but just trust that no matter what happens it all gets better in time.

Good luck!

Ivan

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Good Luck!

Like truespode said, it all gets better in time. I sure hope so too! I am leaving the military after 30 years of active duty when I leave this deployment. I have to look for a new job when I get home in May. Again, Good luck!!!!!

John

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I posted above the type of work I do. I am a Structural Engineer. I make sure the buildings you walk in stay standing up. When we do our jobs correctly, the thought of something happening to the building never crosses your mind.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Sorry to hear, hope you job search goes well.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Mike:

Take it from an architect that did, staying put is a good thing. Many friends left Dallas in the 80s, selling in a down market, only to buy in an up market. From conversations I have had wth them over the years, they didn't gain anything.

I stayed put and built up my client base and started my own business.

One option you might consider is design-build. I may be preaching to the choir, but it is the fastest growing segment of our business.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Tony Eeds said:
Mike:
One option you might consider is design-build. I may be preaching to the choir, but it is the fastest growing segment of our business.
Doesn't matter to me. I would work at a design build firm. I actually just had a head hunter give me a call a few minutes ago. I think this is going to turn into a good thing. I will keep my spirits up!

I'm going to go and ride my bicycle now. I think I'll give myself the day off.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Wow, Thanks for all the support guys. I found out at 2PM that I have in INTERVIEW on Thursday at 10AM. I am thrilled. The job description is almost exactly what I do now. The company was just bought by another company that is 28000+ people.

Guys/Girls I can use all the positive prayers possible on Thursday. Thanks in advance.

Mike

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
Mike - My thoughts are with you as you approach your interview.

Good luck with the job search and at your interview - I'm positive things will work out great for you.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Mike go in with a positive attitude, positive you will get the job if you want it. Don't be desperate! Showing a strong positive attitude will come across in the interview and will impress them.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Good luck, Mike!

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
:cool: Go get 'um!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Good luck, Mike!

KX250Dad

Dec 4, 2006
Good Luck Mike!!! Sometimes change, while not wlecomed is a good thing... gets us out of the old comfort zone. We make our own "luck" and sounds like Thrs may be a very good day for you and your family.
Bob

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Hope things work out well for you. . .

Ever read the following? (Not that I out much stock in "luck", but it is thought provoking. Everything happens for a reason.).

A Chinese proverb tells of a wise farmer who had an old horse for tilling his fields. One day the horse escaped into the hills and when all the farmer's neighbors sympathized with the old man over his bad luck, the farmer replied, "Bad luck? Good Luck? Who knows?"

A week later, his horse returned with a herd of wild horses from the hills and this time the neighbors congratulated the farmer on his good luck. His reply was, "Good luck? Bad luck? Who knows?"

Then, a week later, when the farmer's son was attempting to tame one of the wild horses, he fell off its back and broke his leg. Everyone thought this was very bad luck. Not the farmer, whose only reaction was, "Bad luck? Good luck? Who knows?"

A week later, the army recruiters marched into the village and conscripted every able-bodied youth they found there. When they saw the farmer's son with his leg broken they let him off. The neighbors came over rejoicing, "Your son's been saved; what good luck!" The wise farmer replied, "Good luck? Bad luck? Who knows?"

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
How did it go Mike?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
trial_07 said:
How did it go Mike?
Well, I believe it went GREAT! I had a very positive attitude and conversed with my interviewer very well. I already do the types of buildings he asked about (90%) and have many years experience in this field. He introduced me to the Operations Manager and the General Manager both were very nice guys and I briefly told them about my career up until now. The main guy interviewing me started talking about things like that they have their own parking lot and that I shouldn't tell my wife that the Mall is right across the street or she will have my buying everything for her. I took that statement as a very positive one. This guy knows a fellow engineer that I used to work with so I am sure he will call him.

I also went on another interview on Wednesday that was also very positive similar discussions. I think I would, if I had the choice, like to go with the larger company that I interviewed with today. We will see. I am going to relax and see what happens. I did my best and I will give either company my all and thats all I can give.

I'll tell you all how it goes. Thanks for the support :cool:

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
That's good to hear! Glad it went great for you :cool:

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I have already sent out the Thank you letters to each of them.

Top Bottom