michael33

Jul 16, 2009
Hi my name is michael and i just joined the forum today. I have a question for you guys. My son has been riding a ttr 125 but we think it's a bit small and not so good for jumps, my son also thinks it's a bit underpowered. Now we're been looking for a bike that will be more powerful, bigger and better for jumps (tha ttr is pretty heavy). My son loves to jump but with his yamaha but he broke the forks for few times when he was jumping and he wanted something better for jumps. I don't know if it's worth buying a motorcross bike with better forks because my son only rides on trails and does a lot of jumps and never rides on a track. We were looking at the honda crf 150r and it seemed ok. We also looked at the crf 230 but its just another heavy trail bike. BTW my son is 12 years old, 5 feet 8 in( :yikes: i know he's tall)and still growing like weed and 115 pounds. I would really apreciate your help

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Hi, Michael. If he's that aggressive of a rider and that tall, you might be better served getting a 250F. With the economy, used 250Fs are going cheap and it would be something that should last him for years. Again, if he is that aggresive, I wouldn't move to the 230.

michael33

Jul 16, 2009
you mean the Yamaha WR 250F ? Anyways, thank you for your help. I won't be buying a new one, too expensive, but used ones seem to have reasonable price. My son has been riding a klx 110, then a ttr 125, won't it be a too big jump from a 125 to 250cc? Even though he's a very good rider, and for sure he's going to be able to control the bike, isn't a too powerful bike for him? Maybe someone will give us their $00.2.

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
i agree with micheal a 250 would be much to powerful, if hes coming of a ttr. perhaps a kx 100 or rm 100, that will have a lot more power than a ttr-125, and the suspension is great for jumping, it seems like a good fit, but i think that a 125 ts would be too fast also. and the seat height on the kx or rm is taller then the ttr as well...................just my .02 $

but a crf 150r is a great bike to... in case you already are looking at one

michael33

Jul 16, 2009
yes, I think a kx 100 would be more of a suitable bike for him. But wil he fit it? And how is kx 100 compared to yz 80 or crf 150r? Is it faster than the 150r or yz 80? Because if the kx 100 has similar performance to the 150r, i'd take the 150 because of the 4 stroke engine witch is a big advantage to me. If we were looking at the kx, is the 2 stroke engine harder to handle? Because neither of us drove a 2 stroke. I know you have to mix gasoline and oil for a 2 stroke and that it's more expensive to maintain but does it require any skill to ride it? And also would a kx 100 or a crf 150r be a good trail bike? And i also heard that they sometimes cut out when riding trails. Is it true?

Last edited:

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
i own a kx100. so here is what a kx 100 is.....

1st: the kx 100 will absolutly SMOKE a yz 80.
2nd:2 strokes are cheaper to maintain(and repair) if you blow up a kx 100 you are out maybe 120$ if you blow up a crf 150 r you are out 500-750$.
3rd:it is just like driving a 4 stroke, the power is just quiker(deliverd faster)
4th: yes a kx 100 would make a good trail bike, with a fatty pipe and power core 2 silencer it would be great.
5th: and as far as cutting out on trails, my bike has never done that, but all bikes will if the revs arn't high enough(including the 150r)

im not trying to bash the crf here but im just pointing out the kx 100 too. i have never ridden a crf 150 on trails, but i know that for its size its a great motocross bike, i would asume that its good on trails too. i hope this helps.:)

and yes he will fit it.

michael33

Jul 16, 2009
ok thanks for your help. I will be considering buying a kx 100 or a crf 150r. I also heard many good things about the ktm 105 sx. I own a ktm myself so i know they're really good bikes. I even heard that the machine can smoke some 125s. but the price kills me :bang: . It's almost 2K pricier then kx. KTMs are great but always overpriced

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
ya ktm's are animals(in a good way) i have ridden a ktm 144sx and it was great. ya i would look into a ktm ,especially if you have one yourself. but i dont know how good of a trail bike it will be????? :think:

michael33

Jul 16, 2009
yea, you're right, ktms are racing beasts. Not made for trails. I own a KTM 505 XCF and i can't believe how powerful it is. Expensive but worth the money :p

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
i put together a list of mods to make both bikes trail ready...

kx 100:
FMF Fatty Pipe-$230
FMF Turbine Core 2 Silencer-$140
Boyesen Dual Stage Reed(Power Reeds)-$31
Boyesen Rad Valve-$170 (maybe...)
IMS 2.4 Gal Fuel Tank-$225
1 Size Down Front Sprocket-$?

crf150r:
Skid plate: $99.95
Rev box: $89.95
26mm Keihin carb kit: $299.95
Q-4 exhaust slip-on: $289.

they both need lites...
Enduro lighting kit: $219.95

this isnt all the modifications for these bikes, and you dont need these to have a good trail bike, i just thought it might help, there are also parts for each bike that arn't listed. and these arnt in order of importance either, i hope you find a bike soon...have fun!

michael33

Jul 16, 2009
I am very thankful of you making this list, i am sure going to use it when i get the bike. I got some last questions for you. How tall are you and how do you fit on the bike? Is your kx modded? Do you know what's the top speed of this bike?

michael33

Jul 16, 2009
I am very thankful of you making this list, i am sure going to use it when i get the bike. I got some last questions for you. How tall are you and how do you fit on the bike? Is your kx modded? Do you know what's the top speed of this bike? Do you know if its faster than the crf 150r? Don't be mad that i ask you so many questins.

michael33

Jul 16, 2009
I am very thankful of you making this list, i am sure going to use it when i get the bike. I got some last questions for you. How tall are you and how do you fit on the bike? Is your kx modded? Do you know what's the top speed of this bike?
Don't get mad that i ask you so many questions

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
You are probably never going to reach 6th gear on a kx100 unlessyour desert riding, however, it is around 60 mph, maybe 65 with a tailwind ;) I am 5'5 and am on my toes with boots on. I think 2stroker144 is about 5'8 right Preston...?

jackflack44

May 3, 2008
We ride together (2stroker144 and I), so I'll jump in and try to help too. My KX is modded and it rips, I got it jetted with a Pro Circuit Platinum 2 pipe and an FMF shorty. It is a really fun little bike. When you ask if its faster than the 150R do you mean top speed or on a track?

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
im 5'11 , 143 pounds and it hauls me around pretty good, i am a little big on the bike, but being bigger on it makes me more comfrtable pushing it harder. with your son will fit fine (maybe alittle to small for the bike . but with your son on this bike he will rip! the kx and the crf are probably equal on top speed, but i have never even reached 6th on the kx! but on the track the kx would pull speed over the crf. if you have anymore questions feel free to ask! (and my bike is fairly stock just sprockets, handlebars and tires....)

michael33

Jul 16, 2009
are you sure a kx 100 would smoke a yz 85? And i would want to change the exhaust because the sound is great (luv the sound of the 2 stroke) but a bit too metalic, what's better a full exhaust or a slip on? What brands do you suggest? Also i think that a big advantage to the kx is the price ( 1K cheaper than the honda)

2stroker144

Jan 14, 2009
both bikes have only a kick starter. the kx is easier to start(being a 2 stroke. less mass to rotate) but the crf shouldnt give you a problem. if the bikes are cold slowly kick the starter a few times to gain compression, then kick it hard to start it, and it will fire right up!

and yes the 85 doesnt have a ppower valve(only the honda and yamaha dont have one) but it wouldnt even put up a fight. and i recomend fmf for exuast, but i have a great friend who has a procurcit header and fmf slip on and his bike is crazy fast. if you change any 3 things first, it should be

1.suspension(set it to the weight of the rider)
2.exhuast
3.jetting

these 3 things alone will make the bike 1000000 times better.

but the only reason i like fmf better is because i have always had fmf. the 2 brands are really the same pipe just plated with difernt names. but do reaserch on pipes because the different pipes severly change the powerband...alot.

hope this helps! :cool:

michael33

Jul 16, 2009
thanks a lot. Would a pro circuit works pipe be good on a kx? And is the acceleration quick on this bike? Would a pipe give the bike a better top speed? And why does kx have a pipe on the left? is it any problem?

Top Bottom