ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
I have just become the stepfather of two boys, ages 9 and 13. They have never ridden a motorcycle but are very interested. I would like to introduce them to our wonderful sport this year. I think the best way to start them will definitely be on a four stroke. I am looking for any input on the brands and models that would be appropriate. They rode my buddy's sons KX65 last year and were more than a little intimidated by the power of the bike and the need to constantly shift. I am thinking about an XR80 or 100 for the 9 year old and an xr 200 for the 13 year old. Also have looked at the Yamaha TTR. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

bluerider125

~SPONSOR~
Feb 23, 2002
i learned when i was 14,(my 15th b-day was 13 days ago.)
i got my '01 TT-R125L for christmas, and have loved it ever since. be sure to do the airbox mods for it, more power and better sound.

oh yeah what is the hight/weight/build of yur yung'ns?:confused: im 5'7" and 125 pounds with a atheletic build.

try to find a used bike, unless yur rolling in $$$, my 01 was $2,000, 700 off retail. it had a few scratches on the front fender. my brothers bike (same exact bike w/o scratches) was $2,200. really cool gettin them started, i wish i cuda learned earlier, have fun!!!!!!!!!

laterz,

Rob

Brianc

Nov 14, 2001
My son just turned 10 and he has had an XR70 and an XR80. I think the four stroke is the best way to learn to ride. Now he is more confident and wants more power. So his next bike will probably be a RM80. It's really personal preference as far as model and brand, though. Let them sit on different bikes to see what fits their bodies best. Do not hestitate to ask the dealer ( or seller ) to adjust the handlebars and levers to make sure the boys like it. Definitely do not buy the first bike they sit on, let/make them compare. With my son, I ask him how the bars feel, have him turn lock to lock, can he reach comfortably?
Is the seat too high/ too low?
Can he lay the bike on its side and then pick it up.

If you buy them riding boots, have them wear the riding boots while trying the bikes, we found out that my son could touch the ground with tennis shoes, but not with riding boots. He could not point his toes down with boots on, made a difference in his confidence while riding.

:)

DirtFamily

Jan 2, 2002
My sons are 10 and 13 and they will be getting the XR80 and the XR100.
I'm not getting the XR70 because it doesn't have a clutch.
I thought about the TTR125L, but for the price, we decided on the XR100.
We're just going to be trail riding w/ some playing at the track.

If I know my kids, the 10 year old will want a KX or YZ next, and the 13 year old will want a trials bike. :cool:

Katie

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Just got Jonathan a JR80 and he turns 8 next month. I had my doubts about the clutch and gear thing, but in just two rides he is getting the hang of it.

I was most surprised, these kids learn quickly, me, I took an age to learn, I started at 14. In order to help him, I put him on the Pampera in front of me, and had him clutch and accelerate for me, after a few tries he could do it himself. We then went riding, and he was changing up and down on the JR80, and also getting his take offs right.

I was going to get him the KLX110, but he is adapting so quickly to the clutch that I am glad I went this route. This should last him at least 2 years, and then it will be on to either a TTR125 or 80cc 2 stroke.

I had him give his beloved JR50 a run after he was done riding the 80, he took it around the trail once, came back, parked the bike, and said, that's it, we can get rid of it now.

........ anyone looking for a great lil starter bike, you know where to find one !

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
The most important thing to remember is to put them on something that will allow them to gain confidence and have fun.

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
4 stroke all the way. as for the 9 year old, I'd go with an xr80.
It all depends on how big your 13 year old is. Could be from a TTR-125 to an xr 200, or even a cr80. Your kids will learn quickly, and soon their bikes (lack of suspension, power) will slow them down, and they will want 2 smokes.
I'd recommend some beater bikes, (not pretty ones, but mechanically sound bikes) for the time being.

Top Bottom