Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
My wife is a co-leader in our 8-year-old daughter's Brownie troop. They meet twice a month, and try to have a parent come in at the end of the meeting to talk about their job, family hobby, etc. for the girls. Figuring that a bunch of girls wouldn't find software development all that exciting, I chose Dirt Bikes as my presentation!

So last Thursday at the close of their meeting, I stopped by the school with the XR-50, all the gear, some DNR posters, and couple of trophies.

As I was rolling the bike into the school yard, the girls were huddled on a blanket, listening to a little history lesson on voting, elections, or some such thing. As I turned the corner, and the girls saw the bike, they all jumped up off the blanket, and the entire group of 22 Brownies came running and screaming towards me, and surrounded the bike like it was a rock star! It was like parting the Red Sea to get through! History lesson was over, and it was time to ride!

Once the giddiness wore off and they calmed down, it was time for a little dirt bike show-and-tell. I had my sweet daughter Mackenzie assisting and modeling the latest in protective gear. We went over bike basics, starting, stopping, shifting, etc., then went over all the gear and why you wear it, and finally wrapped it up with info on the DNR, the trail system in Michigan, rules/requirements, and safety training. The girls were absolutely fixated on the bike... there was no denying that motorcycles are flat-out chick magnets. I was a little surprised, and had thought that they wouldn't show all that much interest. In fact, we had to cut the Q&A session short - They just wanted to ride! :aj:

One by one, they all got a ride around the school yard. There were even 4-5 girls, who've never even been up close to dirt bike before, asked to take it out themselves. So with approving parents nearby, a bunch of girls rode solo, much to the amazement and stare of soccer mom's nearby.

So after about 85 loops around the school yard, we packed it up and left, just as the sun was setting. There were even 2 dads who stopped by just to see what was up.

And while I may have dropped a few hints, I think that there just may be a few girls with a dirt bike on their Christmas list this year! :)

Mini Slide Show -->> http://community.webshots.com/slideshow?ID=195450922&key=LKqyTP

Last edited:

Top Bottom