NeedSpeed

Feb 16, 2001
I'm in the market for some Brush Guards...
I mostly ride pretty tight woods.

I was wondering if any if you had some thoughts on whether I should get the all plastic ones or the type with the Metal Spine.
I have been told that the Metal ones can possibly cause you to Hurt your wrist in a get off...

Any Thoughts ? :think:

J

B

biglou

I run the Cycra Pro-Bends on my kTm. Click it in my sig line below to see a picture. They have a dip on the outside to help prevent getting your wrist hung in a sideways getoff. There will be some risk of getting hurt regardless, but I just like the ones with the aluminum bar in them.

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
BigLou

Hey Lou, are you using triple clamp mounts or bar mounts on your guards for the Pro-Tapers? I've read that the bar mounts take away from the Pro-Taper flex. I've ordered the bar mounts because I don't like the price tag on the tripple clamp mounts.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I have the Moose al. guards. The plastic ones just can't take the same abuse, although I've seen some hold up fairly well. They are great for a simple fall over that would otherwise bend or break a lever.

As far as getting hurt, if you go over the bars and you hand slips into the guard opening you could snap your wrists. I personaly have never gotten into that kind of situation but I have heard stories.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
The Acerbis Pro Rally guards are plastic... never had the "opporunity" to fully test them, but seems to me they would do a good job. They scare me. Good thing I avoid trees, no way would I use hard mounted guards like those, I'd for sure be one of the ones you've read about with two broken arms.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I run the Acerbis Rally guards (all plastic) and they've suffered some pretty serious abuse. The good thing about them is that they'll absorb some pretty healthy hits, even get a little bent out of shape, and still pop back into their original position. The only thing about the aluminum ones that would worry me is that they may not bend back into shape.

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
Seems to me that you could get your hands caught in the plastic ones just as easy as the aluminum unless the guards get smashed against your hands, then the aluminum will not snap back like the plastic, but if hit something that hard, you've probably got bigger problems than a broken wrist and fingers.

darnjr

Jul 5, 2001
I've run the Rally Pro guards for a year and have bent them and broken mounting bolts with some hard crashes. I just beat them back into shape. I can assure you that they will never smash against your hands. If you hit something that hard you'll be flying off your bike. One of the things I like about them is that you can grab the guard and yank your bike off the ground in awkward positions. What I don't like is the way the outside of my hand rides the handguard. I'm going to try the Cycra Pro-Bend next.

B

biglou

Re: BigLou

Originally posted by 2001yz250
Hey Lou, are you using triple clamp mounts or bar mounts on your guards for the Pro-Tapers? I've read that the bar mounts take away from the Pro-Taper flex. I've ordered the bar mounts because I don't like the price tag on the tripple clamp mounts.
Sorry, I didn't see this yesterday. I am using the bar mounts. I was going to use the triple clamp mounts but the kTm's have a funky angle on their top clamp pinch bolts. The bar mount clamps are very secure and they hold very well. I like them quite a bit. As far as taking away any flex, I didn't notice any, but then again, I'm only a novice rider.

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
I've got the Enduro Engineering bark busters, with the deflectors. All I can say is, if it's smaller around than my wrist, I can -and have- mowed it down!
I've never heard of anyone hurting their wrist by getting it caught, but anything can happen! For tight woods, good bark busters are ESSENTIAL!

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I used to run the acerbis rally guards. They worked well, but did break levers on four different ocassions with them on. They moved out of the way and the lever broke. I must say that they did take quite a beating. They were on there untill I washed out in the slick corner and chatter one of them into small pieces. I beat them badly before that happened.

I replaced with them with the moose aluminum ones with the brush guards. The brush guards are a little flimsy and I cracked on my first ride with them (did not even crash). I used some Zip-tys for repair. I cracked the other side on my next ride. I will not be buying the moose plastic, but will buy MSR or EE replacement brush. The bar part of it has been great although I had a little trouble with mounting. They would not clear my master cylinder for my brakes. I just used longer bolts with washers for shims. I was going to get a place to mill out an aluminum spacer for me, but have not had time to check around on pricing and who can do it. The washer have held up. I was thinking that the triple clamp mounts might solve my problem.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I have the Fredette aluminum straps. I also like the guards BiggestofLou's is runnin but they are a lil higher. You hear the pros and cons...well the score is me: several , badluckmojo: none yet
In other words, there are plenty of scrape marks on both from trees and the ground and not a bent nothing, including fingers, yet.
I see more and more motocrossers using this type of guard lately.
The clamp mount set-ups are probably the way to go.

Jh85

May 17, 2001
I'm using the Maier Aluminum guards with Cycra shields. They are pretty nice and I think they were alot :think: ($50?) cheaper than the complete Cycra setup. They aren't bent on the ends like the Cycras though.

I have seen a pop-off kit. They seem like they would help from crashing then smashing up your wrists in MX. They look like they're plastic bar ends. You would need to buy them case at a time if you ever wanted to go woods riding :confused:

Top Bottom