chip0704

Jan 16, 2006
I'm sure this is a dumb question, but when you buy a used dirt bike from someone (not a dealer), what's the process? I know with street bikes there is a title to be tranferred etc, but does a dirt bike have a title? It can't be as simple as exchanging cash for the bike right?

I live in Pennsylvania.

Thanks, and sorry for asking an obvious rookie question.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
my 03 has a title, i also got a written receipt. not sure of the year but its around 01 when they started having titles same as a car

Jamir

I come and go
Aug 7, 2001
It will vary from state to state. I would suggest you call or go to the local DMV and they will give you a checklist. I can tell you this, it is almost always a pain in the keister in some way. I have bought 4 used bikes in the last 8 years and it has always been a pain. That is if you need to title it. If you are not going to title it, then just make sure you cover yourself. Don't want some punk coming back and saying you stole the bike.

AnTs

Uhhh...
Nov 5, 2005
I live in pennslyvania, ive bought 4 bikes so far, the only one i got a title for was the bike i bought new.

all the used ones didnt have a title, i guess it depends if the guy has one or not

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
In Ohio, if the owner does not have a title, there are several ways you can establish ownership after purchase and get a title yourself.

. . . the aforementioned notarized bill of sale; 2 witnesses saying you own it . . . etc . . . The DMV will tell you if you really want to have it titled. For MX and play riding, I doubt you'll need to but PA may be different than OH.

I got a title and a notarized bill of sale with my bike, as it was a "jump title" - the guy had bought it and never paid to have the title transferred.

I wouldn't recommend buying a jump title unless you can confirm the persons actual ownership. I was able to do that in this situation. He told me how to contact the prior owner who had actually had it titled. Further, he was honest about everything else on the bike - before I even got there to see it.

chip0704

Jan 16, 2006
Thanks to all for the info. For those who live in PA, where do you ride? Scranton, PA resident here- looking for legal public areas to ride.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004

Lokair

Feb 2, 2006
I bought my bike a few weeks ago, no Title, I bought it from a friend who got it from his kids friend. The kid bought it new, and lost the title, But I got a bill of sale from my friend( he has a used car lot). Now last week a friend of mine and I went through a fiasco with a guy. The bike was way to cheap, and things did not look right, had the Vin checked to see if it was stolen. Just be sure you do not buy a stolen machine(they can and will take it away from you, and you are out the cash and any upgrades you made to it). Not trying to scare you , just do not wanna see you get involved with a stolen machine, ask they guys here they are very helpfull with alsorts of advice.
Oh yea keep records of every thing you buy for the bike, reciepts and such makes it alo easier for you keep track of your up keep
Lok

Agitator

Dec 21, 2005
robwbright said:
In Ohio, if the owner does not have a title, there are several ways you can establish ownership after purchase and get a title yourself.

. . . the aforementioned notarized bill of sale; 2 witnesses saying you own it . . . etc . . . The DMV will tell you if you really want to have it titled. For MX and play riding, I doubt you'll need to but PA may be different than OH.

I got a title and a notarized bill of sale with my bike, as it was a "jump title" - the guy had bought it and never paid to have the title transferred.

I wouldn't recommend buying a jump title unless you can confirm the persons actual ownership. I was able to do that in this situation. He told me how to contact the prior owner who had actually had it titled. Further, he was honest about everything else on the bike - before I even got there to see it.

I've got a problem my title (I don't have one :uh: ). All I have is a bill of sale. I didn't even think to ask about a title. I want to ride my enduro on the road eventually, so I'm assuming I need one. :think:

Does anyone know the on-road rules/regulations for the state of Maine? The BMV website is not very helpful or informative :bang:

Any info you have on having a title CREATED in maine would be greatly appreciated.

:aj:

Agitator

Dec 21, 2005
Sorry, guys. I just realized that I have this problem where I just hijack other peoples' threads and don't realize it until afterwards.

I'll try to get better about it~

Top Bottom