Redbud Practice 021 (Small).jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 223
  • Redbud Practice 093 (Small).jpg
    Redbud Practice 093 (Small).jpg
    67 KB · Views: 223

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
The first one seems excessively noisy to me for an iso 400 shot. I don't really find much in the second one that holds my interest, Stewart seems a little soft and I end up with my attention wandering out of the top right of the shot while looking for something else in the shot.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Try posting a version of the first pic that isn't so compressed. Same size but use all of the 170K available and see if it cleans up some.

Quality aside, I think it's a nice job of framing, and tells a good story.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Chili said:
The first one seems excessively noisy to me for an iso 400 shot. I don't really find much in the second one that holds my interest, Stewart seems a little soft and I end up with my attention wandering out of the top right of the shot while looking for something else in the shot.

Ok, this isn't the first time I have heard "noisy".. But, I really don't get what you are seeing? What is this noise you are talking about and how do I recognize it and correct it?

Last edited:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Rich Rohrich said:
Try posting a version of the first pic that isn't so compressed. Same size but use all of the 170K available and see if it cleans up some.

Quality aside, I think it's a nice job of framing, and tells a good story.

I can't seem to find anything that saves the same size without compressing the hell out of it to get 170k

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I'll take a crack at it.

Something fooled the meter (the mirror surface, theres a lot of bright light in it), there's a ton of noise (look at the door frame by his face in the full size image (link). Since it's iso400, the only reason it would be that noisy would be due to under exposure. I've gotten to the point that whenever there is weird light, I go to manual and check the histogram and re-shoot if necessary/possible.

The crop you posted shows oof or poor lens sharpness, can't tell for sure. Shouldn't be camera shake at 1/400th aand 280mm?

Chili will probably have a better explaination.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Okiewan said:
I'll take a crack at it.

Something fooled the meter (the mirror surface, theres a lot of bright light in it), there's a ton of noise (look at the door frame by his face in the full size image (link). Since it's iso400, the only reason it would be that noisy would be due to under exposure. I've gotten to the point that whenever there is weird light, I go to manual and check the histogram and re-shoot if necessary/possible.

The crop you posted shows oof or poor lens sharpness, can't tell for sure. Shouldn't be camera shake at 1/400th aand 280mm?

Chili will probably have a better explaination.

That hinge is a reflection in the side of the trailer, accounting for the oof.. What I am trying to understand is noise. How to recognize it and how to fix it. Causes and all

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
I'm not sure what you did for post processing but usually excessive noise is from missing the exposure as Okie stated. Trying to save the missed exposure in post processing can make the situation even worse.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Chili said:
I'm not sure what you did for post processing but usually excessive noise is from missing the exposure as Okie stated. Trying to save the missed exposure in post processing can make the situation even worse.

Honestly, I did no post on this. I hadn't had the camera but a few months and really didn't understand RAW and certainly didn't have any idea what I was doing with the Manual, Av or Tv modes.. Not that I have any clue now either.

I shot over 400 frames tonight, and most were acceptable, with quite a few more being Good this time.

kenc1959

Sep 15, 2006
From a composition and creativity standpoint, I like the first pic a lot better, it is out of the ordinary and shows something many do not see behind the scenes. The second I personally do not like very much. Too common and also pretty soft on the focus. I cannot comment on the technical side as I am still learning myself

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
kenc1959 said:
From a composition and creativity standpoint, I like the first pic a lot better, it is out of the ordinary and shows something many do not see behind the scenes. The second I personally do not like very much. Too common and also pretty soft on the focus. I cannot comment on the technical side as I am still learning myself

I reall feel the same way. The only redeeming quality of the second one that I can see is just the fact that I got it with
the bike quite compressed.. Otherwise, I really don't like it all that much either.

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
will pattison said:
i thought the picture of the turd coming out of the crack was outstanding!!

:yikes:

wp.

Never thought of it that way Will, I guess we could consider that peak action moment if that's the case :whoa:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Chili said:
Never thought of it that way Will, I guess we could consider that peak action moment if that's the case :whoa:

It's hard to get shots like that of other pro riders, as most of them don't have to sneak out of thier trailers....

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom