Can someone help me determine what year my KX250 is?

Redneck Ron

Oct 21, 2005
The vin # off the front of the frame is KX250A-003839.It is an air cooled 2 stroke that I am going to buy some parts for and I need to know what year it is in order to get the parts I need.I cant determine it by the plastic style because some has UFO plastic on it.Thanks everyone!

Ron

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
From the buy Kawasaki web-site:

"We could not find a match on the VIN provided. Please correct and try again."

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
CaptainObvious said:
From the buy Kawasaki web-site:

"We could not find a match on the VIN provided. Please correct and try again."

I got the same thing. Tried a couple of other sites with no luck.

Redneck Ron

Oct 21, 2005
Darn.But doesnt kawasakis web site vin decoder only go back to like 85?I am pretty sure it is a 1979 because that is what the previous owner thought it was and it just looks to be that style with the plastic tank.I dont know how to be completely sure though.I heard in 82 or something like that the vins started to say kx250b instead of kx250a.Would there be a number on the engine somewhere?I hope I can figure this out soon and be riding again before winter. :bang: :bang: :bang:

Thanks,
Ron

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
It goes back to 1986. If your bike is that old, try calling a local dealer. They should be able to decode the VIN for you.

Redneck Ron

Oct 21, 2005
I do not have a pic but it has dual shocks.I think they are aftermarket though since they are black springs and shocks and say something on them.(though I forgot what)I believe it has a gold swingarm if that matters.About the calling a dealer option...I dont have a kawasaki dealer withen about 100 mi from me and cant get a # so thats kinda out.

Thanks,
Ron

Redneck Ron

Oct 21, 2005
Now I am 99% sure its a 79.If it is true can someone just tell me correct and ill be done with this?lol...A 1978 has a metal tank and 2 rear shocks...correct?A 1979 has a plastic tank and two rear shocks...correct?A 1980 has a plastic tank and one rear shock...correct?If that is all correct my bike fits into the 1979 placement since it has a plastic tank and dual rear shocks.Yes!I think I am close to knowing for sure! :)

Ron

Redneck Ron

Oct 21, 2005
Is a5 what a 1979 would be because it looks like a - after it but maybe a little was painted over by accident once opon a time and is really a 5.

Ron

Top Bottom