KDXKen

Dec 14, 2002
The legislation filed Thursday calls for prohibiting the operation of motorized vehicles in public fresh waters or on the bed of navigable waters above tidewater limits with certain exceptions.
It's really the only public area near Amarillo (to off-road), It's sandy. There's trail riding and hill climbing, all sorts of stuff to ride.
The legislation is the result of a rare joint effort among a number of agricultural and environmental groups in Texas, including the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission, the Farm Bureau, Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association, Texas Wildlife Association, the Sierra Club and the Texas Water Conservation Association. I would like to know if anyone can tell me if there is any type of movement to fight this.

Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
I don't know if there's any movement to fight it. The Canadian river won't be the only place affected tho. You guys that ride Muenster might be affected too.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Is there a link to the proposed legislation?

KDXKen

Dec 14, 2002
Tony I have not had much time to check this out I just read about in the amarillo Daily news and there was a small segment on locale TV. Trailryder was right this will affect all Texas riders

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Here is a link with some more good info on the subject. It has a link to the bill on it.

Page from Texasoffroad.net \

It seems that it will eventually turn out to be another nail in the coffin. I will be going to the state home page to find a list of my reps and sending out the necessary letters this weekend :|

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Thanks Dan.  I will as well.

KDXKen

Dec 14, 2002
Dan Thanks for the info I will also be sending out all the letters I can and will be trying to get more people to also send letters

Calcaneus

~SPONSOR~
Sep 26, 2001
I noticed there has been no activity on this thread for a while, so I will stand up and lead a cheer. The Texas legislature is in session now and these bills will be coming up for a vote. We need to flood them with letters, phone calls, and emails opposing HB 206, HB 305, and SB155.
Here are some links :
Senate
HouseHouse Governor
I hope I'm not just pee-peeing in the wind here. I know this doesn't really affect you motocross riders, but please lend us offroaders a hand in this matter. With enough opposition we may win it, but to do so we'll have to do more than just talk about it on the internet. I'll get down off my soap box now..... and go wring my socks out.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Thanks for the links and the shove. I just got back into town. I will send letters tomorrow!
Tony

timvv51

Nov 24, 2002
I have sent letters in and have recieved replys to almost all. Susan Combs is a real problem and Teel Bivins is one of the ringleaders. His family stands to gain finacially from this. Smithee and Swinford are claiming to be very much on our side. Tim

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Isn't this the same place they have been holding the sand drags for many years. Can anyone enlighten me as to how long we have had ATV traffic on this land? One angle is to highlight the economic benefit to the region.

UPDATE:
The sand drags have been there for 30 years.

This is a link to the Blue Ribbon Coalition re: the river bed closure

http://www.rockcrawler.com/landuse/display.asp?story=340

Last edited:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
The letter I sent ..... edit to send to Senator or House Rep.

You out of state guys should send one as well, indicating how much money you spend in Texas.

Honorable .....

I am writing in regards to my opposition to SB155 (HB206 and HB305). Although it important to protect property from misuse, I believe the closure of these lands to ATV use will solve nothing with the possible exception of requiring addition "supervision" of the areas in order to assure compliance. There are few public areas in Texas available for enjoyment of ATVs and contrary to many people's opinion, ATVs are no more likely to damage the surface configuration of a streambed than the average spring flood. Additionally I question the need to close the land to ATV use but leave it open to exploration and/or exploitation by virtually all other groups.

Perhaps a better position would be to manage the areas for the benefit of everyone. ATV enthusiasts inject a great deal of money into the local economy, as most equipment and supplies are bought from local merchants in the hometowns and towns surrounding the riding areas. The Texas Offroad Network and the Texas Motorized Trails Coalition are two excellent groups actively pursuing a positive approach to management and stewardship of Texas lands for all forms of ATV use.

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,
Tony Eeds

Calcaneus

~SPONSOR~
Sep 26, 2001
To answer Tony's question about how long this land has been open to orv travel. If I rememeber my Texas history correctly, the State has always owned the river bottoms of the entire state. I believe it was set up that way in the State constitution, and in the Republic of Texas constitution before that. So I guess it has always been open to ORV traffic, whatever the ORV of the day was. I remember many family trips exploring the river bottom in my Dad's '50 Willys station wagon.
To expand on what timvv51 said, Teel Bivins is the state senator for the Amarillo area. As any of you guys who ride the river know,the Bivins Ranch is one of the adjacent land owners. Kin'da smells doesn't it ? Please include Mr. Bivins on your contact list and let him know what you think of his ethics. He may be sensitive to this because he has had is eyes on higher state offices. Then again maybe he has plans of retirement, on his newly expanded ranch. Either way he should know what we think.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Yep, Thanks for the update ken and bringing this thread to the top. The links are great. I sent my letters my reps, but it can't hurt to send them to others in the state as well. The issue has been brought up at our club meeting as well, but did not get a lot of response. I hope that everyone sent there stuff in.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Thanks, feel free to cobb it.

Foot and stomach are better :yeehaw:

I need to work on getting loose on a Wed/Thurs soon. At the rate I am being booked up it looks like early March at best.

Top Bottom