gb250

Dec 2, 2007
I am currently running an 85' YZ250, 2 stroke. The bike runs well, I have recently done a lot of work and tuning to it. Getting about 110 psi compression, tuned fairly well. My clutch actuator keeps rising up out of the case. I can push it back down but after riding around while it slowly comes back up. Any ideas as to why this is happening? The arm on top subsequently has gotten bent a little bit and is showing signs off stress and will break eventually. Someone has installed one of these aftermarket clutch extender gizmos on there as well. Could that be causing this problem? Any opinions would be valued. Thanks guys.

Coop

Jan 21, 2000
I could be wrong but I think on the 85's there should be a dowel pin that goes through the actuator arm. Is that missing? It would under the cover where the arm goes down inside.

Also 110psi is a low number, but that wouldn't have anything to do with your actuator problems.

gb250

Dec 2, 2007
From my manual and the drawings online at the yamaha site I do not see anything that retains the clutch actuator. I appears to drop into the case and thats it.

gb250

Dec 2, 2007
An additional question. Should I be able to disconnect the clutch cable from the actuator and be able to slide the actuator assembly out of the case? I can only seem to get it up to a certain point and it feels stuck in there for some reason. Is this the pressure from the clutch pushing against the actuator?

Coop

Jan 21, 2000
Sorry about that, I looked at a parts fiche (bikebandit) and see it was the 85 125 that has the pin. The clutch push rod is what you feel holding it in.

gb250

Dec 2, 2007
So once the clutch is set you won't be able to pull the actuator all the way out? and if you do then I would assume you can expect to have to take the clutch cover off and redo you clutch adjustments?

Sorry for the noob questions but I am trying to get a firm grasp on what is happening here. Still no ideas why this thing would be creeping up on me? is the tension to great? Did I set the set screw in too far? Other than the actuator coming up the clutching seems to be ok.

Coop

Jan 21, 2000
Yeah you need to remove the push rod to get the actuator out. It is hard to diagnose without being able to check everything out in person. It sounds like the push rod is drifting over and letting the actuator rise up. Did you have the clutch apart? If so are you sure the bearing was installed back in on the end of the push rod?

gb250

Dec 2, 2007
Ok I just took it all apart again. Yes the ball bearing was in on the end of the pushrod. I have had the clutch apart to install a new set of discs and plates. Everything was set correctly and the clutch was functioning fine. I am going to put everything back together and try eliminating the "clutch extender" gizmo that came on the bike when I got it. The only thing I can think of is that thing put extra stress on the actuator arm and gradually works it out of the hole. Either that or perhaps that bearing it fits into needs replacing? Here's to trial and error!!

Coop

Jan 21, 2000
Well sometimes that's what it takes with old bikes. All parts get worn over time, so it's either your way or start measuring everything to find the culprit :). But I think trying it without the extender is a good first step.

gb250

Dec 2, 2007
Ain't that the truth :nod: Now hopefully that weather cooperates for the weekend! Thanks for the help Coop.

Coop

Jan 21, 2000
Wish I could have helped more. If you were local I would gladly have taken a look in person. Post up what you find out.

gb250

Dec 2, 2007
Sure thing mate. I am in Vancouver BC so I don't know how local I would be to anyone around here. I seen a few BC ppl I think :) Keep ya updated!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom