Clutch friction plates>whats the wear limit???(Honda)

cr125_king

Apr 2, 2001
Hears the story, i went out for my last ride of the year , yesterday, and i noticed that my clutch was starting to slip really bad. Anyways, i pulled my clutch apart today, and nothing seems worn to bad. The friction plates may be past their wear limit though. They have all worn equally too. So what is the thickness of the friction plates suppose to be?. It's a 96'CR250.I dont have a manual, so thats why i dont know. Oh ya and the CR250 clutch is the same from 1990-2000 so anyone with a manual please help.Oh and maybe the wear limit on the springs would be nice to know too.

scotts250

Jul 30, 2001
CR Clutch

I will check when I get home and post if no one else has yet.
FYI it seems that on my CR's that the metals actually wear more visibly than the fibers. The last time I changed out the plates and fibers, the metals were grooved pretty good and the fibers looked okay but were pretty close to the wear limit.
Scott

DirtDawg

Oct 16, 1999
OK, these are from a honda CR service manual for a '95. I don't think there were any changes from '95 to '96 so they should work.

Clutch Spring free length --- std. = 45.7mm/1.83in. wear limit = 44.7mm/1.76

Friction Disc --- std. = 2.92-3.08mm/ 0.114-0.121in. wear limit = 2.85mm/0.112in

There isn't a spec given for the plates (alum. or steel)

cr125_king

Apr 2, 2001
thanks DirtDawg

I'm going to measure everything up right now. I also noticed now that my aluminium plates have huge grooves in them (the frictions have worn right into the aluminium plates). I think i'm going to put a whole new clutch kit in >Barnett >friction plates, steel plates NOT aluminium!, and heavy duty springs. It's going to cost me about $180 canadian(approx $110 us). Also my dealer said they are kevlar friction plates now. I never knew about this, how are they? Another question, in the middle of all the plates there was one steel plate in the middle. Whats up with that?theres 4 aluminiums on each side with this one steel plate in the middle.

DirtDawg

Oct 16, 1999
It sounds like you definitely need a clutch job! The factory clutch comes with two steel plates in the middle and aluminum on the outsides. I think this is to keep swelling (from heat) down. All steel will help keep oil contamination to a minimum also. As far as the kevlar disc's go I've never used them in a dirt bike. I did have a barnett kevlar clutch kit in a street bike and it worked fine, the kevlar is supposed to be less affected by high temps. so I've heard.

DirtDawg

Oct 16, 1999
Oh, don't forget to check out the clutch basket and inner for grooving.Heavy grooving won't let the clutch engage or disengage good. If it isn't too bad the fingers can be filed smooth to get some extra life out of it.

Top Bottom