Feb 12, 2005
Anyone know how to get the kickstarter correctly positioned on its shaft? And also how to troubleshoot whether the spring return is/isnt working correctly.
Currently when I bring kickstart up fully then kick it just stays down after I follow through. I just picked this bike up and it actually has a spark! I did get it to fire a couple of times and seems to have tons of compression. (new ngk B8ES installed by me at .028" gap). I had a weird incident happen where the kickstarter went all the away up/forward and I could not move it or even kick it. I had to remove it to and roll the shaft by hand forward a few clicks to get it to where it would kick again. I think I may have gotten it all outta time now(the kickstarter) but I am not a 100% sure it was ok fully before I started messing with it.
Bike is a 85 Husqvarna 400wrx
God a owners manual/service manual would be nice! Anyone?

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
Email me your address and I could get you a couple pages from my 87 book. Should be about the same. We had a 430 that did similar and there is a little tab that gets wore out on one side in the kickstarter mechanism. Didn't have it lock up though. You can either replace that tab or turn it around to see if that helps. It's left kick and water cooled? Any other areas you might need from the manual. Your problem is pretty common for a 20 year old husky. If you remove that left side cover, which you'll have to do anyway, you can probably see what I was talking about. Good luck.
Bob

Feb 12, 2005
Email sent.. This poor thing is gonna need some TLC. But it appears it probably won't break the bank. It is definitely in need of a left side engine cover. So far a spark plug, fresh gas and some fuel line is all that i've had to dish out for it. There is a hole(left side engine cover) underneath the duct tape! lol The things people do! It was well worth drive from central IL. to Springfield, MO. to pick u! All in a days trip.

Feb 12, 2005
Wow....I called Hall's today and they haven't carried remakes of the clutch cover for about 2 years now and he said they went for $200 each back then!

Are the clutch covers highly sought after and actually that extinct? If so, I like to solve problems so I'll just have to look into cost of having a lot of 10,20 or so machined up (not cast).

Are there others out there that need the same part I do? (clutch cover)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom