yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Hey all-
My bus driver listens to country music (WMZQ), and over the past year us sophmores have become fond of it. Now I'm not a redneck (far from it), but I like country music now. It seems to me that country music is good because the songs actually have plots, and some are really funny. So do you guys listen to country? What do you think of it? I wanted to see what other rider's opinons on this subject were. Thanks
-yzeater
P.S. Some of my favorite songs
-Private Andrew Malone
-Drive
-My List

ADS

Nov 21, 2001
C'mon fellas, let's get this thread rolling.
I listen to just about every type of music there is.
A few current country favorites:
1. Ol' Red
2. Drive
3. Blessed
A few older country favorites:
1. Fancy
2. Slow Hand
3. A Stranger in My House
4. Good Ol' Boys (Dukes of Hazzard Theme)
5. Harper Valley P.T.A.

yzeater, how many of my "old" songs have you heard?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I'm a half-arsed mucisian and been playin guitar since I was a little kid.
Been in talent contests singing country tunes. And my dad even used to drag me down to the local radio station on Saturday mornings where several of us would pick.
I grew up with country and bluegrass music....
but I just can't....no matter how hard I've tried....just can't get into it.
:(

KTMdude911

Dec 20, 2001
I love it!I listen to mainly oldewr stuff like Hank Jr.,Waylon Jenings,Willie Nelson,Jhonny Cash,and Merle Haggard.The new stuff like Alan Jackson,Kenny Chesney,and Travis Tritt are all right.

Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001
Can't beat David Allen Coe!
Misery & Gin-Merle.
My heart skips a beat-Buck.
Wine me up-Faron Young.
Fist City-Loretta Lynn.
Brother to the blues-Goerge Jones.
Broke down south of Dallas-Jr. Brown.
Knoxville Girl-Louvin Brothers.
etc...Gotta admit, I'm a country-junkie.

dave186

Sponsoring Member
Nov 19, 2001
Now you see round these parts most peoples parents listen to country, so there kids listen to rap and junk music like that. But im the opposite, my parents are the hard rock type. I dont know why it is, but you never listen to the same music as your parents. So I listen to country, my friends make fun of me cause I dont do the same things they do, but thats too damn bad cause I like it. I really like the old stuff too, Haggard, Cash, Waylon, cant forget Jerry Reed. I like a lot of the new stuff, Chris Ledoux is probably my favorite but Brooks and Dunn is good. Ive got so many CDs I cant ever choose favorites. I just bought the new Kenney Chesney album, and I was kind of dissapointed in it. If you havent heard the songs they been playin on the radio, check out the ZZ Top tribute album, its good.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Originally posted by Tennessee Thumper

I was drunk the day my mom got out of prison. :)

My Mom ran off with the drunk the day I got out of prison...........and took my truck too :whiner:

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
although he's probably not really country, i like to listen to steve earle. he's an excellent songwriter.

Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001
It goes something like this...

I was drunk, the day my momma got out of prison.
And I went to pick her up in the rain, but before I could get to the station in my pick-up truck, she got ranned over by a damned ol' train.... :whiner:

Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001
not really country, i like to listen to steve earle
I would consider him county, but I believe he falls into the catagory of
Alt-Country. He is one of the predecessors of the movement which was started by Gram Parsons.
They are a lot of bands that fall under this catagory these days which could be considered a sort of revolt to "new country".
BTW, Steve Earle did a record with a blue grass band, The Del Mccoury Band.
If you like Steve Earle, you'll love this C.D. :D

Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001
not really country, i like to listen to steve earle
Posted by mx547

I would consider him county, but I believe he falls into the catagory of
Alt-Country. He is one of the predecessors of the movement which was started by Gram Parsons.
They are a lot of bands that fall under this catagory these days which could be considered a sort of revolt to "new country".
BTW, Steve Earle did a record with a blue grass band, The Del Mccoury Band.
If you like Steve Earle, you'll love this C.D. :D

Ickabod

Apr 1, 2002
If it comes out of anywhere east of Texarkana it's probably complete mind numbing crap!!! Nashville makes some of the most pathetic garbage known to man.If you want real country music I would suggest you check out what's coming out of Texas like Hank the third.I also really dig Steve Earle.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
I haven't heard any of your songs ADS...I'll download them:)
How about these:
Mrs. Stephen Rudy (VERY FUNNY)
The cowboy in me

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by Ickabod
If it comes out of anywhere east of Texarkana it's probably complete mind numbing crap!!! Nashville makes some of the most pathetic garbage known to man.If you want real country music I would suggest you check out what's coming out of Texas like Hank the third.I also really dig Steve Earle.
I have to somewhat agree with you on this one. Nashville is nothing more than a production line, never anything new just the umpteenth version of the same ole. On the other hand my band did a show with Hank III and I was not impressed. I would say that the other 2300 people in the club wer'nt impressed much either. When they got through playing we had people yelling for us to come back on stage. I have to say that double JR is one heck of a courteous guy but I'd recommend that they trade in the 750k bus for some decent stage equipment and a new pair of boots.

I've also worked with Hank Jr and the 2 are nothing alike, Hank Jr rocks!

To answer the topic question: I don't catagorize my musical preferences by what kind of music it's called, I listen to all types but I don't have a problem admitting that I do like some music that's called country. Ever since 9-11 I've found myself not listening to music stations at all except when my daughter is in the truck with me and then it's mostly rock. I found that I like the sound of silence more and more, maybe I'm just getting old. :(

Last edited:

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
I'll listen to country when I'm in the mood and around the right people for it. I have Brooks n Dunn and Tim McGraw in my cd collection, along with a few others.

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
I usually find myself listening to instrumental bluegrass.I really enjoy listening to anything Jerry Douglas plays on the Dobro.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I swore growing up that I wouldnt "buy in" to that country music stuff and Dad would just smile. Now (fast forward 15 years), we alternate buying the newer country cd's that we like and just burn a copy. Works out real well, especially with all of the one-hit bands. I guess parents really do have a clue after all. I cant imagine why it took me so long to figure that part out. I guess it took having my own child and actually being a parent. By the way, I second SFO on Clint Black.

BigBore

Jun 16, 1999
I don't like pretty much any new country. The country I like is stuff from the 80s up to the early 90s. Stuff like older Randy Travis, Steve Wariner, Garth, Alan Jackson, Clint Black, some Doug Stone, George Strait, Tracy Lawrence. Travis Tritt's first few albums were good stuff, as with Tim McGraw's first couple. Diamond Rio is hands down my favorite country band.

Last edited:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
complete mind numbing crap
I couldn't agree more.

This stuff called "country" today is far from anything truly country. That stuff you hear on the cowboy station, unless it's Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings, Hank Jr., Willie Nelson, Buck Owens, or bluegrass, ain't country. It's freaking POP! Not soda pop, POP! It's right in there with N'Sync, Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, etc.

Top Bottom