yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
So if the stuff made today is "complete mind numbing crap", what should I download...wanna give me some "good" songs / writers?

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
Actually, I believe Steve Earle is from Nashville originally and the Del McCourey album is great. I like all genre's of music but I have to be in a real mood to listen to popular country. I love bluegrass, but can't stand a steel guitar, and can listen to Dwight Yokum about any time but a lot of the other country just flat out sucks. Liking bluegrass is another way you know your gettin' old. :D I have been a head-banger most of my life!

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Good driving music IMO. Waylon was the man, but Clint Black-HELL YEAH!

I can also listen to Willie, even tho he may not be the best example of a "star". ;)

"Mamas dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys..."

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by BigBore
Stuff like older Randy Travis, Steve Wariner, Garth, Alan Jackson, Clint Black, some Doug Stone, George Strait, Tracy Lawrence.

stone is doing a free concert here in about a month. i won't be there. i'll be watching collective soul, gin blossoms and dishwalla instead.

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
Originally posted by BigBore
I don't like pretty much any new country. The country I like is stuff from the 80s up to the early 90s. Stuff like older Randy Travis, Steve Wariner, Garth, Alan Jackson, Clint Black, some Doug Stone, George Strait, Tracy Lawrence. Travis Tritt's first few albums were good stuff, as with Tim McGraw's first couple. Diamond Rio is hands down my favorite country band.
Gotta love Steve Wariner.If you don't have his album "The Hits" you should get it.

maicomotoman

Dec 16, 2001
So if the stuff made today is "complete mind numbing crap", what should I download...wanna give me some "good" songs / writers?
Gillian Welch. Especially anything from the "Revival" album.
And, as many here have proclaimed, Steve Earle is brilliant. I prefer the stuff from "I Feel Alright" forward...Emmylou Harris, Willie(of course), Del McCoury(or any of his boys). Just a few of my favorites...

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
give me some "good" songs / writers
  • Luckenbach, Texas (Get Back to the Basics of Love)
  • All My Rowdy Friends (Have Settled Down)
  • The Conversation
  • Waymore's Blues
  • Tennessee Flat-Top Box
  • A Country Boy Can Survive
  • I Walk the Line
Cripes, that's just the beginning!

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
This may be had to believe for some, but Texas polka is awesome, Dwight Yoakam has some great mixes. Like Conway's old stuff, reminds me of a white "Shaft" the ladies man before his time. Kenny Chesney has got it down right for new country and Shania Twain is it when it comes to female vocals, ... wish she would come back to the States and record again!

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by 96whyzee125
This may be had to believe for some, but Texas polka is awesome
Speaking of polka, you have to hear a band out of Denton (NTSU) that has been playing for several years. They are called "Brave Combo." About the best group of musicians I've ever had the pleasure to work with (engineering sound). They've traveled the world playing electric polka / classical / country / whatever else you want to hear.

Fe_princess

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 7, 2001
If you want Texas Polka, pick up anything by Don Walser.
Or if you want to hear some kick a** blue grass, my current favorite is The Gillis Brothers(I believe they're on Rebel Records), or check out this web site.

WWW.COUNTYSALES.COM

Last edited:

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
Brave Combo has quite a few albums out. Do a search and you should hit their web site easily. One of the guys I work with really like them and introduced them to me some time ago. Give them a listen.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by 96whyzee125
Jeff, do they have a CD out? I take it they are a local band. Hook me up and I'll take care of ya $.
Dave

Sorry Dave, I've been out of town for a couple of days. Like Lorin said, Brave Combo has a few records out and I wouldn't really consider them a local band since the last job I did with them they had just flown back in from Japan.

They are from the north TX area. Here is Bubba Hernandez phone number, (the last one I had) 817-383-2099.

Top Bottom