R.P.M

Jan 20, 2007
I got YZ250F 04', the bike is great i start it on first kick even on cold weather.
the prob is that i feel it a bit lazy, and is get shutdown alot when i ride on tight enduro corss.
i may think that it's becuase that i putted 45T rear sporket and my tire is also 110.
theres anther prob that when im in fifth gear even on low RPM it act like i hit the rev limiter, altought i still reving.
what coould it be?
Thanks & Sorry for the bad english :)

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Hard to tell from your description but it sounds like a jetting or dirty carb problem. Make sure your air filter is clean and drain the carb float bowl. I would remove the main jet and make sure it is the right one. Raising the idle speed will keep it from stalling in the slow corners.

Also, make sure your hot start valve is seated all of the way.

R.P.M

Jan 20, 2007
Thanks alot, what you said about the hot start just make me think..
the hot start lever has reposition becuase i got new clutch lever. mybe theres something with it.
you are totaly deny those symptoms to the gear ratio?
today i rode in MX corss and i notice that it also choke a bit/delay when i try to accelerate. something like that the accelerte pump isn't timed well.
but when i just accelerate on open roads theres no bog or anything.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
If the hot start plunger is not seating all of the way, it will cause a miss when accelerating. Make sure you have some slack in the cable and also remove the hot start plunger and inspect the rubber pad on the end. There should be a circle indented in the end of the rubber pad where it seats against the valve orifice. If it is damaged or not sealing all the way around the orifice, replace it. The hot start plunger can also become oxidized and stick in the bore.

On the accelerator pump (ac) be sure your throttle slide is opening a little bit before the ac pump rod begins to move. If the ac squirts fuel in the engine before the slide opens, it will cause a bog. Also clean out the ac pump diaphragm on the bottom of the float bowl. Water and dirt can collect in there and cause the ac pump not to work properly. You can adjust the ac rod by bending the tab on the throttle cable bellcrank.

I don't think your problem is the gearing. If everything is working correctly and the jetting is correct it should not bog regardless of the gearing.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
What part of the world does your flag stand for? What kind of temperature is it outside? When you compared riding mx and trail, was the temperature the same? Where exactly does the engine hesitate, off idle or further into the throttle? Thi is all assuming you have no mechanical issues. Are you positive about the hot start, and have you ever had any part of the carb apart? The mixture screw and accelerator pump have some very small o rings, there misplacement can cause a hesitation that is impossible to fix by jetting. How is the plug?

R.P.M

Jan 20, 2007
well, it Israel ofcouse!
yeah the temp was pretty much the same, it hesitate at the beggining of the acceleration. it bog for around three times and then it fly. just going from very low RPM fast to High RPM.
i think that on first gear it's fine...but mybe it's just have enough power altuoght the timeing, fuel amount is wrong.
my carb just got jetted (some mechanic). here in israel we dont have dyno it's not common so i dont know if he did it on the spot.
he said that the plug is fine. the jetting was done becuase it was too rich.
if anyone got more to add please let me know.
i think i will just take the bike to him agian.
Thanks

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Israel! Well it says you do not know where you live, just a flag. Wire your ap adjuster, or a zip tie. Can you order a JD jetting kit? He would know exactly which leak jet to put in there, and maybe a pilot jet change. I am pretty sure its got something to do with the ap circuit. The leak jet may be clogged. There are some really small o rings, one is atop the mixture screw and the other is in the accelerator pump cover. Their mis alignment can cause a hesitation also. Leak jet, yamaha calls them something different, its the one in the bowl.

R.P.M

Jan 20, 2007
i can order the JD kit from the internet but it cost pretty much...mybe i can just get a leak jet here (in israel).
what do you mean by wire my ap adjuster? isn't it something that inside the carb ? you think that it might got lose or something like that ?
anyway i think that i will take it to someone who knows better then me and i will also inform him on all the info you guys gave me

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
06 and later fcr carb linkage. where you adjust the ap timing. JD sells o rings, you wrap around the adjuster to make it pump every time the throttle opens. As it sits now sometimes it does not pump. Backyard mechanics just safety wire it together, or a small zip tie. I have seen a complete replacement somewhere to fix this also.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
Israel! Well it says you do not know where you live, just a flag. Wire your ap adjuster, or a zip tie. Can you order a JD jetting kit? He would know exactly which leak jet to put in there, and maybe a pilot jet change. I am pretty sure its got something to do with the ap circuit. The leak jet may be clogged. There are some really small o rings, one is atop the mixture screw and the other is in the accelerator pump cover. Their mis alignment can cause a hesitation also. Leak jet, yamaha calls them something different, its the one in the bowl.
I speak and understand English pretty well but even I don't follow you on this one. Got a diagram?
R.P.M., these guys have probably got the right things to try so hopefully the points will be refined to make them clearer, regardless of National Flags. :cool:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
:cool:
There was a mod for the 03 450's that allowed you to adjust the AP duration. Took about 15 mins and it worked. This may actually do the same thing and if it works, it is much easier. Thanks for the pic.

For all of the US and Canadian youth on these boards, R.P.M. has done a great job of making his points with a minimal everyday use of the English language. International users that use English very little try very hard to communicate and they do it very well. Those of you who speak English daily should practice it when you post. DRN has always tried to get its users to use proper grammer and spelling, not being concerned with minor typos or mistakes but avoiding the chat room jibberish that is lacking in substance and effort. It is very easy to tell the difference and as long as someone is trying to communicate effectively, you'll receive help from knowledgeable people, like ol 89'r. Other's will jump in, as whenfoxforksruled, posted pics to clearify a point. When users make an effort, they usually will be rewarded with honest, accurate help. Their help may not resolve the issue but will help isolate a problem.
Sorry for the diatribe but this thread is a perfect example of someone trying to communicate across the language barrier AND the internet. Thanks.
Brian

Last edited:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
You have to first adjust the ap to just miss the slide when it goes up. On my sons 06 crf450 it meant backing the adjuster all the way out. Then you apply the ap mod (o ring) to keep the ap pumping everytime the throttle closes, then opens. Without it, sometimes it does not pump, it floats, this directly relates to a hesitation, unacceptable. After 06 they changed the design of the fcr carb. They put the fcr carb on every Japanese bike I have seen. Some have said that this mod makes the rod bottom out and you can feel it in the throttle. This is where the diaphragm comes in, you can either grind the nipple off, or buy one already modded. Personally, I could not tell that big of a difference. On the honda's the leak jet(the only one in the bowl) comes way fat, a leaner jet makes a world of difference. JD has fiddled with every bike he sells a kit for. Just beware of companies that advertise getting more fuel in on the ap circuit. It has a very important purpose, and beyond that you can say good bye throttle response. Misalignment of that very small o ring on top of the mixture screw can cause a hesitation also. If it gets cut and you can not find all the pieces, rest assured it is hidden in the passages from the bowl to the throat of the carb. You have to disassemble the parts of the car body. You need a special hollow torx driver to take apart the carb body.

R.P.M

Jan 20, 2007
well, im sorry that i didnt have time to respond...anyway we checked the carb and it dosn't seems like it's the prob.
the guy thinks it's electrical problem (coil or CDI).
he told me to try and cut the neutral unit wire.
the one who connect near the shift gear lever.
so im going to get a cutter. if anyone thinks it's wrong move please let me know asap :)
will it cuase any damage?
Thanks

Last edited:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Did you reset the ap? Still sounds like carb problems to me. You may also want to check your valve adjustment.

I would not cut any wires until you have eliminated everything else.

What exactly is the bike doing? Missing? Bogging?

R.P.M

Jan 20, 2007
well, i didnt rest the ap. i brought it to mechanic and he thinks its not carb prob.
it a little bit hard for me to explain what the bike doing. i guess becuase im not sure about the defenition of missing for example.
mybe missing is the word....but i will choose cutting. on/off on/off. so i guess it can be fuel off/fuel on or spark on/spark off.
i already changed the Spark Plug. after that he told me it might be the Coil or the Cdi.
and then he talked with a friend of him who told him to try to disconnect/cut the neutral unit wire.
he also check the Hot Start thing and thinks the valve are fine (but listening - the motor sound timed well).
i hope that soon we will get anther bike and we will replace the CDI/COIL and check them.
anyway he want first to eliminated that neutral unit wire. i guess that i wont be lazy and i will remove the fuel tank and disconnect it.
the weather is prob now :\

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
R.P.M said:
im not sure about the defenition of missing for example.
mybe missing is the word....but i will choose cutting. on/off on/off. and thinks the valve are fine (but listening - the motor sound timed well).
i hope that soon we will get anther bike and we will replace the CDI/COIL and check them.
anyway he want first to eliminated that neutral unit wire. i guess that i wont be lazy and i will remove the fuel tank and disconnect it.

R.P.M.

Cutting on and off would be the same as 'missing'. That would also be different than bogging.

I would remove the gas tank and disconnect the wire instead of cutting it. While you have the tank off, check all of the wire connectors and wires for loose connections or broken wires. Remove the kill button and try it again. Make sure your breather hose that is attached to the top of the engine is not plugged with mud or kinked /obstructed in any way.

Check your valve adjustment. Tight valves can cause many problems and the only way to tell if they are ok is to physically check them.

If you still can't find the problem then trade the cdi and coil with another YZF.

If the bike is 'bogging' or not taking the throttle from low rpm's, that would be your ap adjustment or jetting.

R.P.M

Jan 20, 2007
Ol'89r said:
R.P.M.

Cutting on and off would be the same as 'missing'. That would also be different than bogging.

I would remove the gas tank and disconnect the wire instead of cutting it. While you have the tank off, check all of the wire connectors and wires for loose connections or broken wires. Remove the kill button and try it again. Make sure your breather hose that is attached to the top of the engine is not plugged with mud or kinked /obstructed in any way.

Check your valve adjustment. Tight valves can cause many problems and the only way to tell if they are ok is to physically check them.

If you still can't find the problem then trade the cdi and coil with another YZF.

If the bike is 'bogging' or not taking the throttle from low rpm's, that would be your ap adjustment or jetting.

OK, i will check the wires first thing tommrow. he said its common to cut/unplugged that wire becuase it's not necessary (is it true?).
i already checked the breather and it's fine.
it wont be easier to trade first the cdi and the coil then check the valuves?
about the problem i got with the fifth gear, he suspect that the gear is starting to slip. it still not jump back to 4th but sliping.
By the way, theres any difference in the cdi/coil from 04 to 05?

Last edited:

R.P.M

Jan 20, 2007
i just checked unplugged the neutral unit wire and it still missing.
i will get CDI and i will check it.
he claim that's eletrical problem.
im not sure, its missing on the same spot everytime...
by the way...what will be the best jet for my bike?
it's 04' with FMF F/S and twinair filter. im around 100-300m above sea level.
i had 180 and i replaced to 168..wich is small. i guess ineed 170?

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
Do you know the total hours or miles on the bike?

Search this website (or the internet) for valve check or valve adjustment. If you have never checked this it would be a good idea to do so. It could be the cause of your problems. It will require something like a "feeler gauge"

R.P.M

Jan 20, 2007
mox69 said:
Do you know the total hours or miles on the bike?

Search this website (or the internet) for valve check or valve adjustment. If you have never checked this it would be a good idea to do so. It could be the cause of your problems. It will require something like a "feeler gauge"

i will let someone with better knowlage then me to do it.
anyway it dosn't sound like theres problem with the valves but i guess i will check it after i wil check the cdi+coil.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom