Ford357

Nov 22, 2005
I just got my 500 back going again. It sounds unbelievably nasty. now heres the thing it heats up and gets hot pretty damn fast. Is this normal for a 500? I am afriad of having cooling system issues. Coolant levels vary inthe bike, and the gear oil has always looked a bit milky. Thing is I dont think that were losing coolant because the levels stay relatively the same. could the heat issues be oil getting into the coolant? Motor just got all rebuilt and I dont wanna have to do that again because we seize it up again. Coolant system pressure check? Thanks guys.

Ford357

Nov 22, 2005
How would the water pump not work? I changed the water pump seal a while ago. Whats the pressure I can pump the system to? I will use a cooling system pressure checker I think.

BigSwole

Jun 8, 2004
A friend of mine told me awhile back you could put some of the oil on tin foil and heat it with a bic lighter and if it popped and crackled, that meant there was water in it. How hot is it getting? I rode mine when it was 95-105 outside and it still did not get that hot. They will get damn hot if your just putting around. A 500 is meant to run and run hard.

Ford357

Nov 22, 2005
Well this is just idling! I dont think I have anything to worry aobut but my cr 250 and all other bikes dont do this. I will chekc the oil, but that theory sounds right for water but not coolant (I am using engine ice) so its even more different than your regulaur coolant.

Ford357

Nov 22, 2005
FIVE-HUNGE said:
If your sure it isn't a water pump issue then I would check the timing, stator plate could have moved or positioned too far advanced.
How can you advance it. Does the magnetinc pickup move? Because the stator plate wont move I dont think. I just reassembled it all how do you advance or retard the timing? That little pickup?

rob129

Jun 27, 2004
Loosen up the two bolts for the stator plate it pivots at the bottom. You will notice that the bottom stator bolt hole is slotted. Forward to advance and rearward to retard.

Ford357

Nov 22, 2005
Got it. Anyway to get your timing in degrees. A timing light sort of device? Are the degrees marked on the stator plated? Hell I just threw it back on I dont even remember checking the timing :ugg: thanks for that guys. If the degrees are on the stator plate, where should I be at? I run pump gas (most of the time :laugh: ) and to my knowledge the compression ratio is stock.

dales298

Mostly Useless
~SPONSOR~
Nov 25, 2003
Your bike is going to run hot if you let it idle. It needs to have air flow to the radiator to effect cooling as it has no fan.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom