johnson82990

Oct 27, 2005
i have a 1998 CR80 expert, and when i go to put the ring on the piston, it doesnt compress, so i cant get it into the cylinder. The piston fits in without the rings, but what should i do? im already lubing it up alot.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Flip the ring over, you're likely trying to put it on upside down, which means the ends can't fit properly around the ring locating pin. The ring can't fit properly into the ring groove, and you can't get the cylinder on. If you look at the ring ends where it is split, there is a little notch to fit around the locating pin.

johnson82990

Oct 27, 2005
ive tried to flip it several times, but ill try again. i was compressing it with my hand. if none of this works, should a another new ring do the trick?

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
Unless the ring is missing the notch for the locating pin, or you have failed to properly set the end gap and it is too alrge to fit into the cylder, it sounds to me more like you aren't compressing it enough to fit into the cylinder, and aren't even getting the piston with the ring on to actually start into the cylinder. I think it is an error in how you are going about putting the cylinder on the piston, not a parts problem.

Top Bottom