css_elfers

Aug 26, 2004
Got the August issue of Dirtrider magazine today and they had a write up on the KDX 200. It wasnt to long but more or less they said its a bullet proof machine that costs 2/3 of most european bikes with 2/3 the performance. They also said that it has less horsepower than the KTM but was only 1 mile an hour slower at top speed. They did however say that with a new pipe and proper jetting :blah: :blah: :blah: that you could easily wake this machine up.

ELF

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
I saw that too, they bagged on it for weighing 235lbs, but forgot to mention that one of the other two MODERN 200s tested weighs 233lbs! I can't fault them for saying it's a little behind the times though, 'cause I wish that Kawasaki would have kept it more up to date too. But I also think that it is one of the best tight or nasty trail bikes ever!

kawrider

Jun 27, 2004
I think that this says a LOT about a KDX! I cannot quote the weight of a KTM , Gas Gas, etc. But I'm willing to bet that the European bikes weigh a lot less.
Dave

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
Nothing for nothing. When bikes have a weight difference of over 20 lbs. Then that may be alot. But when were talking a couple of pounds lets be real guys. The history of the KDX should speak for its self

redramhemi

Jan 27, 2004
A cheeseburger and a beer, and there is the 2 lbs difference right there. Ive ridden a KTM 450 MXC, a 450 EXC, and a 400EXC through laps on a H.S. course. Ill take the KDX, thank you :laugh:

dirtmeister

Oct 14, 2003
Kdx 200

It "aint" The Size Of The Dog In The Fight,
It's The Size Of Fight In The Dog". In Other Words,
The Size Of Certain Body Parts Of The Guy
Twisting The "gas"!!!!

cadjocky

Apr 4, 2003
I think the KTM worked out to 20 lbs less and it is noticeable. With a new pipe and silencer, the KDX was still 9hp less than the KTM. I own both and can say that the article was pretty spot on. You get what you pay for. The KDX wasn't changed in 10 years, while the EXC has been incrementally improving every year. That does count for something.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Yes it does, but not as much as it may seem on the surface. Yes the KTM does have more power , better boingers and handles better. But those benefits are logarithmic with regard to your skill level. And I have passed a LOT of KTMs on the trail :nener: ;)

rlbranson

Dec 24, 2003
The ktm should be a better bike, Kawi hasn't done anything to the kdx for 10 years. The best bike I ever had was a kdx400 years ago. If kawi came out with a modern kdx300 I bet that would sell very well.

Bob
kdx200 (resting)

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
Yeah, I wish the KDX had been updated and was more of an equal with the KTM. But if it were an equal, it would have an equal price tag, and the low price of the KDX enabled me to get back into dirtbike riding two years ago. It is a lot easier justifying a ~$3600 toy than a $6000 toy. I think the KDX is an IDEAL starter bike, and with hopups, it can be competitive with the right pilot. But we need to be honest here; the KTM is clearly the superior bike from the showroom floor. I have an '03 200, love it and am proud of it, but I recognize that the Katoom is a superior ride. The KDX is made for trail riding fun, the KTM is made for racing. Who cares what color you are riding, so long as you are RIDING! Choose your poison and RIDE!

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
The KDX is a great trailbike, but not a race bike. I raced an XR200R and while I could beat the newer bikes, my bike and body took a beating. I test rode a KDX200 that had an aftermarket pipe and now I own a GasGas EC200 that's set up like a DE. It will smoke a KDX200. The engine is way better and the chassis is a VAST improvement. I can take my EC on the MX track. I would never take a KDX on the track.

No offense, but the KDX isn't going to compete with a GasGas or KTM without some serious mods or a superior rider.

sether

Aug 24, 2004
SpeedyManiac said:
The KDX is a great trailbike, but not a race bike. I raced an XR200R and while I could beat the newer bikes, my bike and body took a beating. I test rode a KDX200 that had an aftermarket pipe and now I own a GasGas EC200 that's set up like a DE. It will smoke a KDX200. The engine is way better and the chassis is a VAST improvement. I can take my EC on the MX track. I would never take a KDX on the track.

No offense, but the KDX isn't going to compete with a GasGas or KTM without some serious mods or a superior rider.

I looked at the KTM EXC 200 and CRF250X before I bought my 05 KDX. I agree the KTM is a race bike. Guess what, I'm a novice trail rider. The KDX is a better bike than I am a rider. It is simple enough I can work on it myself. My friends CRF250X is one year old and needs top-end work. For me it was the best choice.

I think the mags should do a shootout on inexpensive trail bikes. CRF230 vs. DRZ-250 vs. KDX, I put the KDX in this catagory. I bet the KDX would be the hands down winner. This is what the KDX is today. The world's best PLAYBIKE period! :moon:

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
The mags sometimes forget that not everyone is an expert level rider. The KDX is an excellent bike for its element. I say if you've got a bike you're comfortable with, ride it, and don't worry about what some magazine says.

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
I have only got the chance to ride a KDX one time and I must say sometimes for the type of riding I do and the skill level I am at, I wish I bought one instead of my CR250R. The power on the KDX I rode was sweet. It was like an electric motor, kind of like a golf cart, just faster.

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
The manufacturers lately have really dropped the ball on a couple bikes and I will throw them all into one lump here because they are very similar:

Suzuki DRZ250/400, former Honda XR250/400, KDX200/220,
Yamaha TTR250, etc.

All of these bikes were just truely an inexpensive ergo upgrade and a couple year old RM/YZ/CR/KX suspension away from really decent sales figures.

Take a DRZ250/400 with a slight ergo upgrade and a throw a slightly modified RMZ250 suspension on it and near bliss and another 5 years of life.

Honda XR250/400. Small ergo change ala the smaller XR's (Now CRF-F's), and a couple year old CRF suspension-wow!-just look at the japanese/Aussie/New Zealand XR's.

Yamaha TTR 250-Just throw a WRF suspension on it baby!!!

And finally the KDX200/220- Please Kawasaki just throw it in a now defunct KX125 chassis (U.S anyways...which strengthens my argument even more frankly as they still make the damn thing) with a slightly larger fuel capacity and you couldn't keep them on the showroom floor even after a $1K price increase. Hell you could buy left over RM/KX125's for $3995.00 damn near everywhere...so you can't tell me the $$$ don't work out.

I really can't hang my hat on Kawasaki's overall offroad plan...they have actually dropped almost all offroad bikes over the last couple years...what plan??? At least Honda/Yamaha have off road offerings of some modern kind-CRF/X and WRF's. Suzuki at least is keeping the DRZ around for something in their line-up. Kawasaki would it really be that difficult to just manufacture something?

I am starting to believe that the only manufacturers that are even trying to get it right for the U.S. off road crowd is KTM / Husky / Gas Gas...shameful actually.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2005
The newer four strokes are nice, but for most people who ride trails and just want to ride on the weekends and park their bikes in the garage and forget about them, a KDX is the way to go.. or maybe an XR, but the reliable two-stroke snap of a KDX is just fine for me :) I think I may go buy a left-over '04 tomorrow! :)

Top Bottom