altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
So my husband and I drove separately to Moab - he had the trailer and was down in St. George for work and I met our friends in Moab before he arrived. While we were waiting we decided to go and ride Kane Creek, and my friends loaned me their son's DR-Z400, which is all decked out with a brand new pipe, K&N filter, race gas... good grief. I started out riding at the back to stay out of trouble and not get too carried away with all the extra power, but by the time we were on the return trip I was airing out of gullies and dips that I usually just get the front tire in the air on my DR-Z250. Oh... what a bad idea. Now I want a new bike. (Don't have any money to get one so I'll just be drooling for a long time...)

Anyway, I'm sure it's a litle taller than my bike, but I had no problem getting my feet on the ground or handling the extra weight of the bigger bike (I'm 5'8"). And I did actually ride it within my ability (for a change) so I do wonder if I'd get myself into trouble with it sooner or later. Didn't drop it and thus am not sure if it would be tougher to pick up.

We ended up spending most of the rest of the trip mountain biking, but had a great weekend. Moab was incredibly crowded - car show weekend - but it was fun as always!

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
I pulled my CRF250X up along side a CRF450 at the races yesterday. They didn't seem that much different in height. Kinda made me want to try it out... but I chickened out!!

altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
srellis said:
I pulled my CRF250X up along side a CRF450 at the races yesterday. They didn't seem that much different in height. Kinda made me want to try it out... but I chickened out!!

Yeah, I think I'd be a lot more scared of it on a track... but I don't have much experience there. Riding it on one of my favorite trails made me a lot more confident.

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Thanks for the ride report!

Man, I want to go ride at Moab so bad... it's been on my list ever since I visited there as a kid. Wasn't even riding motorcycles then -- but still knew that would be so cool! :yeehaw:

I think we're going to try to make an effort to go spring of next year. This year is already way-overbooked in terms of time and money. :ohmy:

Cheers! - rb

altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
Yeah, you've got to make it out to Moab sometime! We always have so much fun. Plus, this past trip the weather was absolutely perfect - not too hot, not too cold... (which I think was a first!)

It's been really busy this spring, but once you get out on the trails, people spread out and there's plenty of room to enjoy it. I think there were probably 150 people at the Porcupine overlook on Saturday (I've never seen it like that before) - but once you're moving again, it was so nice. Plus, it had been raining down there lately and trail sections that were beach sand a few weeks ago were packed down nicely for a change.

MelloYello

~SPONSOR~
Nov 22, 2002
altagirl, my last bike was a DRZ400 and while I loved the smooth power and plush suspension, I definitely did not love the weight. It's not much of an issue when you're in motion, but when you crash as much as I do, a heavy bike is no fun. I kinda miss the e-start, though.

I, too, have been daydreaming about a trip to Moab. It's been over ten years since I've been there. One of these days. . .

Top Bottom