Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Can anyone recommend some type of alarm system for a small (6x12) enclosed trailer?

I'm thinking of one that could sense if there was any major movement of the trailer, or if one of the doors were opened.

I found one at http://www.protecsystemone.com, but it's over $400 bucks!

Since there isn't any kind of power in the trailer, I'd imagine that the system would need to be wired to a small 12v battery.

Other than an alarm, is there really any type of strong chain (can't be cut w/ hacksaw) that could be laced through the trailer wheels?

Any ideas???

Thanks!

- Bill

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Do you have a alarm on you car? If so does it have a aux in put? or maybe a sensor that you are not using such underhood or glass brakeage. You could just run an extra wire through your harness for the lights. I'm not sure of the sensors normal state, but you could emulate it if the harness were not connected so that you could use your alarm (I.E. plug in a resistor or short across the leads depending on what condition the brain wanted to see for that sensior). Talk to an alarm installer and see what you can do. The door opening one would be simple to rig, but not sure about a motion sensor. A good installer should be able to work something up. I think that a shared alarm between the car and trail powered form the cars battery would be very doable.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Thanks Danman...

I do have a car alarm that came with the vehicle from the factory.

I was, however, thinking more of when the trailer was parked outside my home. I want to prevent someone from either hooking up the trailer and driving away, or cutting the door locks and taking the bikes/gear.

I'd like something simple, effective, and not expensive (but then again, doesn't everbody...).

The Protech System One is along the exact type of protection I am looking for, but scaled down to a consumer price range.

Thanks...

- Bill

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Isn't there a low-cost security system for small enclosed trailers out there???

Anyone? Anyone at all???

Looking for any other ideas / recommendations....

Thanks much...

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
I would save your money and go buy a cheap motion detector proximity alarm system ($50-70) along with installing a garden tractor battery to run the system. I would attach a 12 volt hot wire from your plug to charge the battery when its attached to your vehicle.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
KDX220rm...

Thanks for the tip...

I am assuming that these come with some type of wireless key pad for disabling the alarm, with something like a 30-second grace period after motion is detected.

- Bill

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Brandon - Thanks for the link to a great site for trailer-related items. I'm going to order a coupler lock and wheel lock from them. Nice selection.

- Bill

Skid Jackson

Nov 1, 2000
I manage an apartment complex. There are alarms made for doors that go off if you jiggle or move the door. I have this crazy lady that i rent to, that has one. It's a cheap rig but makes some noise!! If your rig is close to the house you should hear it!! It's powered by regular batteries. i already had to go over because someone thought it was her smoke detector going off!! I'd ask her where she got it but shes a loon and would think i was trying to spy on her!! Do a search for "apartment security" or "apartment alarms"

Todd Turner

Dec 24, 2000
Check out this website for their door alarm: http://www.guarddog.net/halarm.htm

It looks like what I have seen in catalogs for putting on your motel door. Jiggle it and it squeals. This company also has those detectors that sense somebody is coming close to the door. When triggered, it sounds like a ferocious dog barking. Wouldn't that be great! Enclosed trailer with what sounds like a dog barking inside. Next thing you know they are ripping the doors off to let the "dog" loose.

Regarding securing the entire trailer, most of my trailers (three out of four) have bulldog hitches. I really like pulling with the bulldog style hitch, much better than the "boat trailer" style. But, until last year I hadn't found a way to secure the trailer when it was parked. Other than chaining the trailer to something big, what would stop them from pulling up, hooking on and driving off?

My local trailer dealer sold me some neat locks specifically for the bulldog hitch. It is a 4" piece of metal channel that encases the tongue. This locks to itself. The bulldog hitch has a little bulge for where it goes over the ball. The locking pin fits fairly tight against the smaller part of the hitch thus preventing the device from being removed. Neat.

If you want to get really fancy, I had the security people put a wireless transmitter on the system installed in my motorhome that is patched in to the house security system. It turns the motorhome into a "partition." The motorhome still has the usual siren but also alerts the home system in case of a violation. I can't remember how much it cost, though. Back then business was really good and I didn't worry about it too much. Oh, those were the days...

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom