SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Blah, Blah, Blah...
Milwaukee School of Engineering builds engineers, the old fashioned way!
Boot camp for geeks!
KieKaefer Aeromarine offered to send me there gratis when I was their nightshift foreman 20 years ago.
I declined.... Oh Well?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Originally posted by HomeMadeSin
Civil Engineers, from what I hear, aren't the best paid and good jobs can be hard to come by.
Unfortunately, very true!

rames90

Sep 7, 2000
KawieKX125, I have a degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Calgary (Alberta, Canada) and I was also on the SAE Mini Baja team.

I work in the Oil & Gas industry here in Calgary, my job lets me travel and I recently authored a paper that I presented at the 2002 Gas Technology Symposium and will be published in the Journal of Petroleum Technology.

There are lots of Oil and Gas sector jobs available, and most are high paying. And when you look at the executives in these companies most of them have engineering degrees. Plus the work hours are pretty good, with lots of flexability.

A word of caution about the SAE teams, I only had 3 classes per semester in my last year when I was helping to design and build our car and I was very stressed and over worked. The SAE projects are A LOT of work and will lead to less time being put in to you class work.

In short consider Mech Engg and a job in the Oil & Gas sector.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by rames90
There are lots of Oil and Gas sector jobs available, and most are high paying. And when you look at the executives in these companies most of them have engineering degrees. Plus the work hours are pretty good, with lots of flexability.

In short consider Mech Engg and a job in the Oil & Gas sector.

Care to point a fellow ME in the direction of these jobs?

Check out Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo (California)

Do a search on my user name and you should find a few threads on this same topic.

Brian

rames90

Sep 7, 2000
I've done work for Williams Production RMT, Red Cedar Gathering, EnCana and a few others in the US, put in a resume.

Your best bet for a higher paying job is with a bigger producing company, the smaller and consulting companies just don't have the money for high salaries.

Or you could try service companies like Schlumberger or Fracmaster. The work hours are long but you could make 100K+ per year.

Top Bottom