dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Did someone in SoCal wrecking Crew just get their motor back from Eric Gorr?

If so, how was it and did you get an over bore?

I trashed my bottom-end and the top-end will need to be replaced too. I was going to do the top, but that was before I knew the crank/rod was trashed. I've now set my sights on getting a larger displacement and a full tungsten disulfide rebuild to get a motor that will work for my weight, size and ride needs.

Just wondering what others have done. Looks like I'll be spending close to 1K for everything and all mods. It would have been cheaper to find the 300, but I'm in this hole now and I've got to climb out. Unless there's someone out there that is in need of a yz250, less a motor.

Thanks for any feedback.

dante

Mar 24, 2004
Ding your ride needs are wide open on the gas all time! Sorry to hear about the thrashed bottom end that's a bummer... Jeese some serious damage, crank ect? get it sorted out and let's do another full ride not cut short by blown engines and flat tires LOL... I'll try and not get lost too! it was super fun trying to stay with your pace! Your fast man!!! I tried to search around for that post about the guy who just got his motor back and I could'nt find it... Post on Eric Gore's Forward Motion Racing forum here @ DRN... I did find a post about a 2mm over bore from EG 265cc $700, and a 285cc cost 1000 good for a claimed 8 more ponies... The 285cc wiesco makes custom pistons just for EG so you'll always have to go through him to get top end parts... I don't know if that came with a bottom end rebuild but for that kind of money I hope so...

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
dante, Thanks for the reply. It was a blast while the bikes held up. I liked chacing through the tight rocky sections, just needed a bit more on that one hill that Don and kathleen didn't make. I felt like I was in 3rd or so, but I was in 1st. to the top. Check Eric's site at lunch, and it looks like I can get the works for just under a grand for everything. Extras like clutch basket and such would cost, but he will surface the one I have and match the cases for the base cost. Plus he'll over-bore to a 275 or so and port to match my ride needs. . Overall, I feel I had the bike geared too low for the load I was putting on it. I needed the 13x49 to climb the hills, but it just couldn't handel the speed and duration we were running.

I look forward to riding with you again soon. Maybe I'll have it back up and running by the end of the month and we can make a run out your way. While my bike is just a frame, I figure I replace suspension bearings and springs too. Might as well go in the hole all at once. My wife is not to happy, but at least this way she'll forget about it sooner. At least I hope.

December never seems to be a good ride month for me. Last year I crashed out at the TWMC Christmas enduro qualifier and broke my swingarm. Maybe it's a sign.

Catch you later.
Ed

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I had the 310 kit in the Mamba and it flat rocked. If you want some awsome bottom end go with a big bore kit, jet it properly and roost your buds! :ride:

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Ding: Eric did my 250's top/bottom 2 years ago. No overbore but moderate porting; just enough to pull 5th in a sandwash now, and a smoother transition into the midrange.

While he has the cases split definitely have him put in a few WR400/426F transmission parts and a lighting coil; the former to aid in desert riding and the latter to run grip heaters and a headlight.

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Placelast, Did you go with the Wr 4&5 gear? The problem I have is that I'm so heavy I need 13x49 or 13x50 for the tight technical hills and such and I still need a taller top that I can get with the above gearing. It turns out that I spun the rod bearing and I can't get any movement out of the crank, but the bearings should be replaced anyway. I was told by another D37 racer that the plastic inserts on the inside edge of the YZ250 crank will restrict gasses/oil flow at extended high RPM's. Those units are designed for MX and boost hit off the bottom, but cause many desert racers to burn up the bottom ends when running wide open for so long. I was also told that from now on, every now and then hit the kill switch for a count of 2-thousand with gas full on when running wide open on very long runs. This feed additional fuel in to the system quickly and keeps the motor rich enough to handle the high RPM's non-stop.

On the motor I was advised not to over bore, due to quicker wear and that coming off 4-strokes, I just need to learn how to ride a 2-stroke again to control the motor and not burn it up. I'll ask Eric Gorr though. On the porting, I was told that the 1999 YZ is very go stock and to not do anything to open the exhaust. Ty Davis is porting to lean on the bottom by 2mm or so and that is working well. I'll have to look into that more. I guess one problem with the big bore is that porting will be need for the system to work.

Bottom line, I'm going to call Eric and tell him how I ride, what I ride, and how the bike is setup now and see what he has to say. Sounds like you had good luck with yours. I hope I have the same.

Thanks for the input.

Ed

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
Bswift, How did your's hold up with the over bore. I've been told that bikes that are over bored, tend to use the top-end a lot faster.

I called Eric Gorr and overall he feels that with my weight I'll need to go with the larger bore to get the low and topend I need.

Either way, he's sending the crate and I'll know in a few weeks or so.

Top Bottom