Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Perhaps setting up a signup list for all the events and who's going to help with what ahead of time would be a good plan. That way Pokie & Crispy could spend some time riding instead of pushing papers.

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
Well, since i really suck at racing, it was alot of fun out on the track flagging, so count me in for flagging, BUT, I want my own personal yellow flag! :thumb: with my own flag, i would feel important! Here's a thought, could DRN get some new flags, with the DRN logo on them, and hand those out as a souveniers???? Just a thought Patman.......

Crispy

Boss's Lil' Sis
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2001
You took the words out of my mouth Patman! Pokie and I spent some time talking about ways that we might be able to get away from the Big Top a little more next year. Sign ups for flaggers/scorers for each race and even help with registration, etc, ahead of time is a great idea!!!

B

biglou

I'm definitely in for helping with the MX races next year. I'd like to take over the registration and helping with the classes and scoring, etc. Doing the announcing helps out with that as well. After calling the lineup and calling the riders as they come around, you kind of remember who is who. Plus, I do that here locally for one of the promoters. I might just forgo the actual race and keep it to the annual "Clash of the Titans" grudge match with Keith!

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Oh, you didn't get enough this year?!
I can dish out a second helping of whoopass if need be! ;)
Don't forget the dunlop race Lou. Next year it will happen.

Back on topic-
I'm all for a sign up list. I'll help with the kids poker run again. I had a great time with it.
I'd like to see the Okie Clan get to enjoy the week a bit more too.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Something everyone should consider is that it's easy to over commit. If we could get a lot of folks to cover one thing I think we'd be set.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I am about halfway done with an access/VB database for registering everyone in the events/scoring etc. I will bring my laptop and a printer. The database will be virtually foolproof and very easy to enter riders, team numbers, bike numbers etc for all the events they want to participate in. Its going to keep lap times per rider, per team, per event etc. etc.- Queries and reports for darn near anything you want. Scoring events will be as simple as clicking a bike number when someone goes by. I am also planning to include avitars for those that have them. As soon as I get about 80% done I plan to send it to Okie and few others for refinement ideas/testing.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I am also going to try to procure a bullhorn - GREATLY NEEDED.

Another idea I have but haven't given enough thought to yet is that I would like to come up with a scrolling sign (that can be seen during the day) and prorgrammed from the events registration database I am building. The events and times would scroll across. Some type of system for letting the people who are running the event that its time to get set up would be handy also. Its darn easy to lose track of what time or even what day it is with all the fun and excitement.

B

biglou

That's how we do it here, Eddie. We have a software package called "Trackside something or other...". We still score with pencil and paper as it can get quite hectic at times, and then after each moto, enter the bike number into the results page for automatic scoring. If someone has an issue with their placing, we just consult the three scorers' sheets for confirmation. As for gate pics, first moto is by order of sign-in. Second moto is by finish order from moto 1.

As for the scrambles and such, I don't have a clue... I'm just a moto guy when it comes to the organization end of things.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by TTRGuy
Another idea I have but haven't given enough thought to yet is that I would like to come up with a scrolling sign (that can be seen during the day) and prorgrammed from the events registration database I am building.
Got ya covered Eddie. I had my scrolling sign with me this year but about the only thing I had on it was "If it aint broke, Billy aint rode it!"
It would have been of better use had it been located where everyone could see it. It will be available for DW03.

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Does anyone know who that was who had a "scrolling sign" on the back of their trailer at DW? It was near the HS camp. The stuff on there was hilarious. Something about Billy. :)

TTRGuy mentioned bringing a big clock to hang up somewhere. I couldn't believe how many people didn't have watches on. I never knew what time it was. At one point I didn't even know what day it was! :confused:

You can count on me to help where needed. I too hate to see the Okie clan working so much. I'd like to see them getting out and having more fun.

I've already been in touch with Bswift about it, but I'd like to find a photographer to be at the event during the day and some of the night. I never think to have my camera with me and am always bummed I didn't come away with more pictures but I'm too busy having fun. It would be nice to have someone dedicated to just that and the pictures would be good quality.

* edit * ya snuck in there before me Jeff. Thanks :)

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Originally posted by gospeedracer
TTRGuy mentioned bringing a big clock to hang up somewhere. I couldn't believe how many people didn't have watches on. I never knew what time it was. At one point I didn't even know what day it was! :confused:

Some of us didnt have that problem. Our clocks were an hour fast. I hate time zones. :think:

mkuder

Jan 3, 2002
Originally posted by Tree jumper

Some of us didnt have that problem. Our clocks were an hour fast. I hate time zones. :think:

I didn't have a watch either as all I needed to know was what day I HAD :ugg: to head to the house! I think some sort of PA system would be helpful so we may not need watches, maybe/maybe not? Also, I will definetely help in some manner or another! :thumb:

wrench

'00 Flappin' Fender [Ret]
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
Its going to keep lap times per rider, per team, per event etc. etc.-

Still looking for those Five seconds? It's simple math....
1 Adult beverage = 5 seconds :yeehaw:

Count me in as well, I'll help in whatever way I can be usefull.

wrench

Pokie

Administrator
May 7, 1999
Galena, IL
nice work, TTRGuy..... customized software. Is the software that BigLou mentioned available to anyone,? it sounds like your software program has more features.... would love to see a demo when available...
this would avoid the problem of names and race numbers mismatched or not matched at all...

PA system in the pit area is also a great idea...

B

biglou

Pokie-The software I mentioned is available to the public, but might be cost prohibitive. I think Eddie will have us covered. I was thinking of trying to write an Excel spreadsheet with formulas to automatically calculate the scoring and associate the rider with the bike number based on the class, etc. I think Eddie's got it covered, though. If you want any help with things, Eddie, just say the word. :)

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by wrench
Still looking for those Five seconds? It's simple math....
1 Adult beverage = 5 seconds :yeehaw:

DOH! That was harsh man :)

Pokie and Lou - I have to leave town for a couple days on business but hopefully I will have it ready for a couple people to look at and try to find flaws in a week or two. The biggest thing is that its going to work for team events (no matter how many on a team) and individual events. The cool part will be that everyone can see their lap times, their teammates, sort/compare/basically do anything you want to with the results.

Of course it might change for next year and is subject to Okie's approval but here is a sample (Preliminary) screenshot from the Race Signup Form. Sorry about the quality of the pic - it looks awesome in real life.

Attachments

• screen shot1.jpg
    screen shot1.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 422
B

biglou

:thumb: Dude, that is light years ahead of what I could do! Very nice. I'll put my abacus back in the closet now. ;)

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Its going to keep lap times per rider, per team, per event etc. etc.- Queries and reports for darn near anything you want. Scoring events will be as simple as clicking a bike number when someone goes by. .

I love the idea, but man, that would be tough in the motocross races. For example, in the B MX motos, it took 4 of us minimum to keep track. On the first lap, guys were flying by so fast, the spotters were shouting out numbers faster than we could write them down. I can't imagine trying to find a certain number & click on it as they're shouting out another 5 or so riders in a row. The Pro/A race was easier as there were a lot less riders, & they were spread out more. Same for Ladies & Bikes w/ Lights.

I'm up for doing scoring next year. I had fun doing it, & am pretty sure I won't care if I miss the Motocross races again. Count me in as an all-day volunteer. That'll be my one commitment. I'm even looking into volunteering to score a local event or two just to get some experience.

B

biglou

Yep. Around here lap times don't matter for MX. Crew members (if you have any) keep those times for you. When scoring for MX, you look at the bikes going by and write the numbers without looking down. I never liked the idea of spotters yelling out numbers, but I'm sure different places do it differently. I know, I shoulda spoke up last week... Hey, I was busy announcing and racing! JUst count me in for whatever we decide to do at DW03. :thumb:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Trust me - a person familiar with a keyboard can enter a riders number faster than you can write it down. The lap times won't be accurate to the millisecond but as long the bike #'s are entered in sequence the scoring will be accurate and (approximate) lap times will be available for anyone that WANTS to see them. Like I said - you will be able to see as much or as little as you want.

The MX scoring form will likely be different than the HS etc. forms.

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
With the computer system would a Sweepstake award be possible. So many points for each placing in an event. Lots of events could mean a lot of fun to see who is the best overall spode.

Top Bottom