BIF

Aug 14, 2002
I have an '03 525 exc. I took it on a really challenging 50 mile ride through the woods, I mean the tighest stuff I've ever seen. I absolutely got my butt kicked by the big bike. So I am considering getting a smaller used bike to really learn how to ride this terrain better. When I bought the Exc, I assumed it was the all in one off road model and did not pay much attention to Mxc models. So now that I am looking again, what is the real differences between the exc's and the mxc's? Ok, I know that the exc's have head light, brake light, e-start and wide ratio trans, I guess i'm asking in what application would one want one over the other? I see racers on the exc model in enduro races, but they usually have the light removed and I wonder if the e-start is even intact for weight purposes. What type of racing would one want all of the extras on the exc and what type for the mxc?

FYI, it was explained to me once that the exc is a "woods" model and the mxc a "desert" model. Is this assuming the light is needed for the lowlight woods?

DanAKAL

May 3, 2003
BIF,

I don't know how much help I'll be but I'll try. I race a 300 EXC and it is about the best all around woods bike that I have ever been on. I have tried it once or twice on a MX track and this machine just isn't for the track. The suspension is too soft and the tranny to wide. The MXC is sort of a hybrid between the SX and the EXC. I have never really considered them very much as I race woods almost exclusively so I want the EXC. I suppose that I would consider the MXC were I racing 50/50 track and woods. BUt it would probably be best to get a MX bike and a woods bike as no bike can do it all.

Most of the time when you see the lights removed from EXC they are just trying to prevent it from being broken. Or more likely it was broken and they just haven't replaced it. There are not all that many enduros and hs run after dark so the light is sort of a moot point. Unless someone needs it for legal purposes.

I would expect that every KTM Thumper that you see has the electric starter on board. The estart is a blessing when you have to start one of these things hot. I doubt that very many have removed the estart.

I doubt that this has answered your question. If you are trying to decide between the two just apply it to what you want to do with it. Almost strictly woods or offroad then the EXC. Some woods and some track then the MXC. Or strictly track then the SX.

Dan

BIF

Aug 14, 2002
Dan, this has actually been very helpful. Theorizing that the mxc is a hybrid seems to make the most sense to me. I was just thinking that if the mxc is off road and the exc is off road, why the difference? And there was the thing with desert and woods, but again, hybrid seems most logical.

beer_stud_76

Mod Ban
Aug 30, 2002
BIF -

i'm going to partially disagree with danakal.

the MXC and EXC have identical engines and frames, different trannies and accessories. the MXC is really not a track bike at all. it has an MX tranny, but enduro suspension and engine.

i would also disagree that the EXC is a woods bike while the MXC is a desert bike. the following is not meant to insult your intelligence, but it seems that a lot of people to not understand the tranny differences and their implications for applications. the MXC short ratio tranny has a higher first gear and a lower 5th gear than the EXC, while the rest of the gears each cover a little less ground. one would think that in a desert application (especially for the big-bores) that the taller gearing of the EXC would be better, and the shorter gearing better in the woods too.

anywho, what exactly was it about the 525 that wore you out? the weight? the handling? were you being throttle choppy (this will wear you out in a hurry on a big 4 stroke)? the suspension? i'm really wondering because it seems like the 525 would be a great all-day bike to ride.

hope this helps

jeremiah

dthoms

Oct 6, 2002
BIF,
I don't know where it is that you ride but here in Michigan if you rode 50 miles of challenging single track it might just kick your but no matter what bike you were riding.
As mentioned before the EXC has a wider ratio trans, and because of that it has a softer hit. You could drop a tooth on the counter shaft and make up most of that difference on the 250 or 300 two strokes.
For my riding style I prefer the two strokes over the four strokes. They are lighter and easier for me to ride a long distance of single track, the nastier the better.
I have ridden some of the larger four stokes in the woods and with the proper set up they can be tamed.
If your are a beginner you might try riding a gear higher, that way when you roll on the thottle the hit isn't as hard and you will have better control. Then if you need a little extra power you just fan the clutch and bingo explosive power at you finger tips, that will let you jump over most obsticles in a single bound.
Depending on you weight height I would suggest a 200 or 250 EXC for the tight woods, and then possibly a 300 if and when you have more experience.
I have been riding longer than I want to admit and my choice is the 250 EXC, It is by far the the best woods bike I have ever owned, and I have owned more than a few.
So where do you ride?
DT

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
Here are the tranny ratios right out of the 2003 manual
250 exc/mxc

exc 15:29, 18:26, 19:22, 21:20, 23:18
mxc 15:29, 17:27, 19:25, 21:23, 23:21

BIF

Aug 14, 2002
I was actually on an instructional ride up in the Sierra Nevada mountains, very wooded with narrow single track and lots of hills with rocky inclines. When I was climbing the inclines in 1st gear the bike would spin out in the loose stuff all the way up with the front tire up and out so didn't have much control. If tried to back off the throttle, bike would stall. I was told that 1st gear on the bike was too tall and was suggested that I get another counter sprocket. On the single track stuff, we rode in mostly 1st and 2nd gear and the bike was hard to control because of the power and bike surging. It was explained to me that the large cc 4 stroke has a gyroscopic effect that wears on you when lugging along in 1st. Anyway after going down several times and stalling on the hills sometimes, I was getting real tired of that 260 pound bike. Everybody else on the ride had 200 and 300exc's and seemed to have less troubles. Now this was my first time in nasty, tight stuff like this so a lot of it could have been me, but the instructor (Dave Wood) suggested that the 525exc is pretty much good for high speed, long distance riding or for climbing nice rolling dirt hills. I'm not going to argue that, just bringing it up.

As pointed out about the transmissions, it does seem more logical that the close ratio mxc would be better suited to the woods and the wide exc for more open riding like the desert. I don't know, I guess I am looking for an all around bike (isn't everyone.) Some woods, some open desert type terrain, a lot of climbing of hills. We have all of that riding in CA, you just decide where you want to go and you are a couple hours from any of those types. However, honestly I have never been anywhere yet that I have been able to be in 5th gear for more than a couple seconds. So a bike for high speed, open desert type riding hasn't been a necessity.

woods_rider1

Sep 27, 2001
bif
the first thing I would recommend before considering a new bike is gearing. try dropping one tooth on the counter shaft sprocket. It will cost you $15, and will have a big effect on your power delivery. I have an MXC, so it might be a little different, but I did notice I was able to go through the tough stuff in 1st/2nd a lot easier. In fact on my 250 1st is almost useless unless I am in really ugly stuff, most woods riding is in 2nd and 3rd. Give it a try, its $15.

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
...and put on some 18 mm clamps, they make the most improvement on the bigger 4strokes that have the most gyroscopic effect due to the large 4 stroke motor and all the stuff that goes along with one of those...eh...large bikes.

Nordegg

Nov 5, 2002
Here is my 2 cents. These EXC bikes have very tall gearing stock, and DO have a tendency to stall/spin when in super slow terrain. The top end is uselessly high for anything but roads and desert, so for me I lost nothing by gearing down. I actually run 13-52, but you need a very light throttle hand: no problem chugging through slow stuff and you can climb walls.

The 525 is light by 4-stroke standards (257lbs?), and carries the weight low, but until you get used to the power it is tiring. Everything happens pretty quickly!

Bfaster

Aug 26, 2002
13/52 gearing will set you back $65 and save you the expense of the other bike.
I carry 13 and 14 c/s sprockets as spare. If we are riding very open trail, I will put the 14 on, most of the time 13 is high enough.

2002 300 EXC

epperson

Aug 4, 2003
I run a 93 exc 250 (The Bike is brand new), I have been riding some very tight & rocks from hell trails. The first few times I rode the bike, it was riding me, By the end of the day I could feel it. My riding style is more of a cr/yz motocross style but I dig the trails and hill climbs.

I sent my bike to devol engineneering and had them rework the suspension for my weight and riding style.

The best money I ever spent, I love the grunt of the bike and can actually pull some nice flights without having that scary feeling when landing.
I stripped all the lights and plastics and went with newer, my advise would be to set your loads or settings for your shocks to their highest settings, give it a ride and see if it helps. If it does I would recomend having a shop (or doing it yourself) setup your suspension.

just my two cents

Top Bottom