placelast

Apr 11, 2001
FremontGuy floated out the offer to do Clear Creek yesterday; dp400 accepted, I waffled, and D36 joined in at the last minute.

As I pulled into camp, FG was a close behind, followed by dp; then later by D36. Us first three went on a short loop while D36 was getting ready; I spun off early and returned to change the needle clip position. By the time FG & dp returned, all four of us were ready to go. And go we did. FG took us on some fine trails out and to the northeast. We eventually met up with one loop of the Wild Boar enduro, albeit, in the opposite direction.

As we were taking in the fine oak- and grass-covered trails down, down and down, we crossed a small creek and stopped for lunch. We then headed in a little further then turned around to head back out of this steep wooded and grass-covered valley. At that same time it started to rain lightly, enough so the trail became immediately slick, and the soil caked in between the knobs, and then built up to huge proportions, to where forward motion eventually became impossible, even on down hills. Up to then we were spending a tremendous amount of time and energy gaining little progress. It became apparent the time was approaching to hike out and come back for the bikes another day, with sunset approaching.

FG had called to notify the authorities of our situation, and they had sent out a law officer to find us at the predetermined location at the trailhead – we never made it there that night.

Stumbling in the darkness, we had followed what we had best thought to have been the trail, only to get side tracked near the end upon a mountain/trail side-spur. FG’s cell phone battery had gone dead, and up to then he was in contact with the officer, although unable to determine our location. Though we saw his vehicle’s headlight and searchlight on the distant ridge, the meeting of the two was not to occur tonight. The weather was too foggy for a helicopter to do any good, and there was a cold breeze. I later found out it dropped to 38 deg. F at the camp.

FG had a space blanket, and the four of us huddled together to share what warmth a huddle and the blanket could retain. All of our drink systems had run dry by this point, and though we had some trail snacks remaining, no appetite was present.

I do not think any of us got any sleep the entire night; I came close a few times but with shivering and chattering of my teeth every few minutes true rest escaped me. All of my clothing was soaked from the rain, and none was removed so as to keep in what little heat my body could generate, even my helmet. I could feel the clod through my toes, thinking frostbite was inevitable, figured if this kept on for long, they could be lost for good here soon.

With daybreak came new hope, and back tracking a bit revealed we had taken a spur to a dead end. With that, some encouragement arose that we may very well find our way out this day. It wasn’t that far to where the main dirt road was, and we saw evidence of the officer’s passes and missed opportunity to be spared a night out in the cold.

We began out hike back to camp – some 20-miles. I went on ahead, thinking if I were to get back first then return to drive my three companions back. At the halfway point the helicopter buzzed a few times; I signaled, and heard something being said but it was not distinguishable, so I continued to hike on. At one intersection I heard some motorcycles, and eventually was able to get the rider’s attention. Mind you, this is a Monday when the area is all but abandoned. One rider gave me an 8-mile lift back to camp, and his two buddies went up the road from which I had come down to look for the other three. Upon arriving back at camp, dp and D36 were already there, dressed, waiting my ‘copter drop which never occurred due to the ride.

With that we thanked our rescuers, and planned our return this Saturday to retrieve our bikes. Anyone want to lend a hand? We have a plan, and would welcome the company. Dp and D36 will be confirming the meeting place and time.

MelloYello

~SPONSOR~
Nov 22, 2002
Damn!!!:scream: John, you guys had some fun, huh? I can't imagine how miserable it must have been that night. Glad you guys didn't need to eat each other to survive.:laugh: I may be able to help out Saturday, but you know my riding abilities. I can barely keep myself on the bike, let alone a passenger.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Welcome to both the "I got lost & spent the night @ the Creek" and the "I had to leave my bike by the trail in some canyon I could not ride out of at the Creek" club. :confused:
Did the first one twice & the second one 3-4 times. ;)

I got Les's PM about this. I can meet you guys Saturday morning for the recovery expedition if you like.

Buddy

Aug 14, 2001
John, Les....
You guys have added a new interpretation to the word "Extreme".Whata story... You're gonna be telling that one for a while. And I thought riding Oregon was tough. Someone slap me next time these want me to ride with them.
Good to hear you are out safe...
buddy

dp400

Aug 8, 2001
You know, there has to be a easier way to get a ride in a helicopter!! That was one harry night! I don't think I've ever been so cold. We were in bad shape all right - exhausted , dehydrated, hypothermia setting in and a chance of frost bite - nothing like coming to the realization at 11:00 pm that your wet and cold and now you get to lay down in the mud for the night and hope all your toes and fingers still work at sun up. Well we all made it out safe and thats ALL that mettered in the end!! I have to go to bed now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dan

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Wow! :scream:
I'm glad to know that you guys are in your own warm beds now...... :yeehaw:
Mini

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Strange how such a great day of riding turned into all day &amp; night muddy death march. I was really in the groove as we were riding&nbsp;car dump trail, ridge single track and good trails around M. towers. Sure helps to pack extra supplies-plan for the unexpected. I'm packing extra jacket and some form of fire combustible after this ride. The whirly bird ride showed me almost the entire Clear Creek mountain range. I was surprised at all the cool trails there were, going all the way east into valley.

Last edited:

FireLily

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
Sure helps to pack extra supplies-plan for the unexpected. I'm packing extra jacket and some form of fire combustible after this ride.
Les, does that mean you are going to buy a new camel bak? Your backpack looks already ready to explode. :)
Anyway, that's why I like riding with you. And I started carrying a whole set of first aid kit after our Foresthill ride!! :thumb:
Glad you are back safely from the mud wrestling.
Mini

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
placelast and dp400 were the fast walkers, with smoker fremontguy behind their pace and asthmatic me way behind. My tires (490/695) packed up well before theirs so I had do more uphill in the mud hiking than they did. At the same time, I ran out of water. I was exhausted by the time their tires packed up and they started walking. They got ahead of me and I could only go a few yards at a time before I had to stop and rest. I knew if I stopped I'd get hypothermic and if I hiked I'd stay warm but I'd collapse from exhaustion. I started getting vertigo and couldn't walk straight and kept falling down, sort of like trying to ride uphill with the clay-mud-packed tires.

At one point I became exhausted and curled up on the ground to rest. I knew the final stage of hypothermia is a sensation of warmth and calmness as you drift off into sleep. I was just about there when I was awakened by three squawks, those weird kind of horns on police cars. That gave me hope and prompted me back into action. I eventually saw a searchlight from a truck up on a road. Hike and rest, hike and rest. When I thought I was close, I yelled. Finally somebody responded, I think placelast. Yea! They had made it to the truck and were just waiting for me. I had a hard time staying on the trail due to the darkness and cloud cover. We did the marco-polo yelling thing for a while and I went up this one last hill, expecting a blanket and a thermos of coffee and a ride in a truck. What I saw were three cold, wet men huddled under a silver-colored emergency blanket. I cannot express my disappointment. They couldn't find a path to the rescue truck.

I knew fremontguy had a lighter and cigarettes but there was nothing dry to use as fire-starter kindling and firewood.

I knew a helicopter was out of the question. Even if they were equipped with infrared to find us through the cloud cover, the fog-like clouds prevented them from landing or even getting close to us.

I only had half a share of the one-man survival blanket. The shivers would come in waves from each one of us, like recurring hiccups. Sleep was impossible, it was so incredibly uncomfortable.

At first light we hiked downhill and found a dirt road that would take us back to camp. The main problems were lack of water, and the slight uphill inclines of the road. I don't think we could have averaged better than 2 mph and we had 20 miles to hike, in full riding gear, without water. I was just hoping to come across somebody travelling on the road. Somebody in a truck could drive us back to camp or somebody on a bike could drive one of us back to get a truck to pick up the rest.

As we met the junction of roads 11 and 12, I spotted a helicopter over our mountain sleeping place. It was circling and obviously looking for us. But then it took off over the hill and disappeared, like a movie. It came back (maybe after spotting placelast?) and we waved pieces of our flashy silver survival blanket in the rising sun. Finally, the little helo started circling us and landed up the road.

fremontguy and I shared an MRE after drinking much water while dp400 took the first ride out. (The helo had room for two passengers but the pilot was concerned about weight and fuel.) He bogarted the brownie while I had the applesauce, and we shared the cheese and crackers. We left untouched the "scalloped potatoes and ham" main course of the Meal Refused by Ethiopians.

The best part is we have to return to the scene of the crime. Everybody charge your cell phones.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
WOW, what a trip. Glad you guys are OK.

I cant help with retrival, Ill be in Texas.

HARDKOREKELLY

Nov 12, 2001
Wow guys I've always worried about that happening to me at the creek. I'm surprised you had cell service at all! Which carrier did he have if thats the case I'm always going to carry mine with me! I have come close to spending the night out there but luckily it has'nt happend....yet. Lots of people have spent the night out there.

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Sprint pcs, using the analog roam service. Will connect from any riding area as long as you are high enough up the mountain.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
When you go to retrieve your bikes, can one of you please take a camera.
Fantastic adventure, what a story to tell (glad it's yours not mine hehehe).

I also think you guys need to buy a GPS ;) (and each carry a space blanket)
Great read, thanks for sharing & looking forward to the next instalment.

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
Farmer John, thanks for the help, we could really use it Saturday, as fremontguy can't be there.
Originally posted by Farmer John
Welcome to both the "I got lost & spent the night @ the Creek" and the "I had to leave my bike by the trail in some canyon I could not ride out of at the Creek" club. :confused:
Did the first one twice & the second one 3-4 times. ;)
One would think you'd learn after your first or second time!

dp400

Aug 8, 2001
I did take a camera but took the last picture just before the nightmare begone. It certainly would have been interesting to have document the night!

Farmer john

Thanks for your offer! We can use anyones help giving us a ride down the trail to our bikes! The last thing I want to do is walk that path again!!!

Dan

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
A GPS and a direct radio link wouldn't have done us a bit of good. We couldn't get to the rescue truck and a helicopter was out of the question in that weather.

If we take pictures of the trail down into the valley, you'll laugh at us. They are kindergarten E-class hills... when dry. Randy Hawkins on spankin-new mud tires couldn't go up them after a couple hours of rain.

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
Wow John, I don't know what to say ... from having to tow your bike outta Ballinger and now hearing that you spent the night on the trail, WOW!!

Btw, I have always carried a space blanket in my camelback. They weigh next to nothing and only cost a couple of bucks. Would highly recommend that everyone riding in remote areas (such as CC) carry one, or two!

You guys must be doing some serious goat trails out there ;) No offense, but I'm glad I had to work this past weekend and couldn't take you up on the offer to make that ride ...

Matt

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Yikes! :scream:

Top Bottom