The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
Well, the ice bag on my ankle and the memory of how heavy my new baby was to pick up only slightly tempers my views of this weekend's ride. We went over to Four Corners, outside of Bend, rode on the north side which seemed to have more trails...even had a few "blue" trails - which only meant there were a few longer small rock gardens. Trails were really easy, flat, quad friendly... picking up the speed made them a bit more interesting. Was perfect terrain for a first ride on a bike I can only ballerina toe touch. Weather was gorgeous. Hardly anyone there.

My new bike is a dream. Whenever Randy would talk about getting the suspension dialed on his KTM and say it was like a magic carpet - I'm just thinking huh? My BBR is really fun and spritely and fits me size wise, but always has felt like riding a pingpong ball, with the CRF I now know what Magic Carpet means, (if we keep the BBR will take it to the suspension guy - I'm now sure its not set up properly for me).

I couldn't believe how easy the CRF was to ride, could pick my way thru rocks in 2nd gear, lugchug no stall, change directions at will (my will, not the bike's) and keep on going. I only once missed a shift in a rock pile and flang a foot out, otherwise NEVER felt the need for a foot to leave the pegs. Bike is so well balanced...came to a complete stop while trying to find a gear other than neutral, found it, took off, no problem. We did 30 miles on Sunday and I wasn't even tired or beat up at all.

Wouldn't have fallen at all except for I missed a turnoff and went out in the deep side sand to turn around and got caught on a bush, flang out my foot and over I went. Picked the bike up (no easy feat), got it restarted with the hot button, started forward got hung up stalled it and over I went again, this time got my ankle caught between the bush trunk and the bike frame. Wham. Bit of a struggle to free myself, picked the bike up again, got it started easily, this time bulldogged it out of the sand and over on to the trail (did NOT want to fall again and have to pick it up), got going and all was fine altho my ankle was pretty sore. Didn't look bad til we got home, was starting to swell and color, iced it, this morning is quite technicolor and fat. But not a showstopper by any means. Icing it as I type!

I can't wait to get this bike out on some tougher trails, it was soooo easy to ride out there. And since I was leading, didn't have any dust... poor Randy tho, it was pretty bad in the back and so he would hang pretty far behind. We'd better pray for rain before the China Hat ISDE on the 25th! One time out on a paved road cutoff we wanted to see my top speed, clocked it at 72, then Randy went off into the dirt and flew by me - I was totally blinded by the dust cloud... could only think of those sportbikes coming down the road at a hundred so dove off the side off the pavement and waited for clean air before going on.

The front spring is still too hard, have ordered a lighter one to be made since apparently the factory doesn't - so since the back was set up to match the front, it is a bit chopper-esque at the moment, but still extremely rideable, just not perfect. I could do Baja easily as it is. At higher speeds it tended to squat a bit and the front end got a bit light. We have the compression and rebound set as light as they would go and I still thought my front tire was flat it banged so hard when I hit a rock - thought I was hitting the rim. So we checked tire pressure back at the car and was at 13#, so its the suspension that's too hard. Can't wait for the new fork springs, then Darryl the suspension expert is going to revalve everything lighter too so we'll have some adjustability again.

I don't know if it was just that the trails we did were so easy that made the bike so easy... I never felt out of control, would pick a line and the bike would go there, all my problems with target fixation seemed to be cured! The CRF is not easily derailed from the line I pick, really nice.

Its really heavy tho. My plan is to never fall down again. Haha.....:-)

Figure I'll ride it at China Hat for sure!

-SusanP.
CRF250X
BBR230

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
Great report, I'm hoping to get one next year. I just want the CRF250, without the electric start and lights. The only thing is I don't want to sell my CR125, but I probably won't use two bikes...I have at least a year to figure something out though.

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
The Ant said:
I couldn't believe how easy the CRF was to ride, change directions at will (my will, not the bike's) and keep on going.
We did 30 miles on Sunday and I wasn't even tired or beat up at all.

Its really heavy tho. My plan is to never fall down again. Haha.....:-)

Glad you finally got a chance to try it out!!
We had a Hare scramble this weekend and I rode in with the guys. I teamed up with the daughter of one of the other guys out there for a 2 hour 2 man team. She's only 12, on a CRF150 and not really good, but we finished the race. I was really stoked at how well I did. We did 3 laps per person, per ride which was right at 10 miles. Out of 30 other riders, each time I was out I was only passed by maybe 10 to 12 guys each time I was out. I could really push this bike and not feel beat up. I rode this track last Nov on my TTR and after just 2 laps I could hardly raise my arms. This time, on the CRF205X, after 3 laps I was disappointed that my turn was up. I felt like I could have gone on for another couple of laps before I was beat. I did dump it over twice in sand on my second turn out there and I think picking the bike up made me more tired than riding it. My brother-in-law paid me a great compliment after the race. (He was really good when he was a kid and can keep up with some of the "Pro's" even though he's 38.)
He said the two times he came up on me when I was out there he didn't realize it was me. He said I had good form, good speed and he was surprised at how he had to work to get around me. He even said he'd wouldn't mind partnering with me in the Fall series just to see how well we can do together!
After the race, I did 20 miles during the race, I spent about an hour on the MX track. I tried a small double that I wouldn't try with my TTR. Small take off jump with a rounded landing jump, about 12 feet. On the TTR I didn't think I had enough power to make the jump so I never even tried. Came around the corner in second, popped it up to third and twisted the throttle coming up to the jump. My front wheel hit the top of the second jump and it kicked up my rear. This bike is too heavy for me to get it up over this jump. I tried 4 more times before I gave up. Will try again in a few weeks.
My suspension feels a little stiffer than before but we moved the front forks up 1" and used the KoubaLink to lower the back 1.5". I'm not sure if shortening the travel affects the suspension, but it's not as plush as before. I feel much better just sitting on it now and I during turns I don't feel like I'm sitting way off the ground any longer. May have to adjust a little more.
By the way... I love this bike!!
Glad you had a great time. Hope your ankle gets better soon!!
SusanE

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Srellis, good job on trying that double! Keep at it! I do the same thing. The only double of any significant size (by that I mean it wasn't two whoops) I ever did took me probably 2 dozen tries to make it. Tried it once, came up short over and over (once ending in a really icky crash) but then, months later, I came up to it again and just did it. Now I have a bad habit of grabbing a handful because I feel comfy on that one jump so I'm overshooting it!

The hardest part is knowing how much throttle to use. All I can say is MORE. It doesn't hurt nearly as much, I promise.

Now to go put my own advice to work! They 'dozed and rebuilt my track so all of "my" jumps are gone and I need to learn the new ones! Hurry up and get fixed bike . . .

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
Susan R.-
I don't think I've asked how tall you are??? I hit 5' 2.5", 29" inseam to the floor. Can't really touch both sides of the bike at once, so have to slide back and forth to reach. Seat doesn't seem to be a problem as being too sticky. Think it'll come down another quarter inch or so when we get the lighter springs up front. That would be nice.
Haven't tried getting any of it off the ground yet...was going to look for a small jump and then hurt my ankle before I could find one. Expect it'll be better by next weekend and will give it a try then! My lil BBR jumps like a champ, but then it weighs 30 pounds less or so... but to go farther I'd have to get it up in 3rd or even 4th. Speed and total commitment is essential to even try a double. I came up short once and smacked my goggles on my front fender - came back onto the seat tho! Actually I've come up short many times, but that was the most dramatic... :-)
-SusanP.
CRF250X
BBR230

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
I'm 5'3" with 31" inseam. I'm not quite as skinny as you are and I'm just a few years younger!!! (According to E-Ticket's previous posts!!!) I can imagine how much of a struggle it is for you to pick it back up.

We took a sandpaper grinder to the seat and ground down all the knobbies in the center of the seat.... I can now actually slide off the seat and it is much, much friendlier after a couple of hours of seat time.. :flame: It doesn't look as nice now but it sure is more comfortable. We left some at the back so I don't slide off completely....

The main problem with the double I tried was that it doesn't shoot you up very high. I am still getting accustomed to going almost twice as fast on this than I did on myTTR. So the more throttle thing will come!! I'm so excited about the potential I have on this bike!!!

Seems like here lately I can't wait to get through the week to get to go ride again. Now with the time change maybe I will have time during the week to ride. I can't imagine the torture of having a broken bike and not be able to ride!!

SusanE

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
We're headed off to the Tillamook Burn (deep, dark forest) for some ridin' on Sunday.

Say a couple of prayers for Susan this weekend. :laugh:

Cheers! - rb

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
E-Ticket said:
Say a couple of prayers for Susan this weekend. :laugh:

With that awesome new bike of hers YOU'RE the one that needs the prayers!
Be careful but have a great time!
SusanE :)

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
Haha, that's good.
I think I'll be fine, even tho the new bike is so much longer (a foot) than the BBR, I'm standing practically over the front bars and can't even see the most of the bike - most of it's following along behind. The bars are an inch wider, hopefully not a real big deal. Will see on Sunday I guess.
Just don't want to have to pick it up very often.... ohhh, honeyyyy! Need some help over here...!
-SusanP
CRF250X
BBR230

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
I dumped mine over right in front of about 12 guys at our Hare scramble last week. I had just switched with my partner and it was towards the end of the two hour race. I turned too sharply and over I went. I was a little ticked that all the guys just stood there and no one offered to help. But then again, I'm a very independent person and don't want to be treated differently just because I'm a woman. I was just exhausted and my bike weighs more than thiers!!!

Have fun. I'm sure you'll do fine!!!
SusanE

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
mx547 said:
susan, anadarko, april 25. be there.

:whiner:
Jay, Plains, KS, April 25th, have to be there... :whiner:

I've never been to Anadarko. Boys have been twice but I've been out of town. Next chance for OK race will be Ponca...

SusanE

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
Susan and I went out to Roger's Camp (Tillamook Forest, outside of Portland, OR) and rode dirty bikes on Sunday.

Conditions were great! Weather was gorgeous, hardly anybody out there, dust was *very* light if at all, most puddles had dried up. It was really weird seeing the bottom of some of those mud ruts! :ohmy:

Put in about 31 miles and had a ball! Susan rode her 250X and did GREAT!

I now proclaim her ready to go to Baja in May! :yeehaw:

She only one little biff on a pretty tight, technial uphill trail. Didn't do the worse trails --kept to the moderate ones. (Clyde's, Eliott's, Powerline). But they were are all chewed up so that almost all of them count as intermediate to expert in certain spots. Susn did really good playing "trials bike" and just riding around and through some pretty gnarly trails sections with her little leggies out to the side for balance.

Anybody want to buy a 2003 BBR-230e....? :thumb:

<g> - RandyB

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
Wow, I'm so ready to go out again, Sunday was a blast! So many of the things I learned on the BBR apply in spades to the CRF, keep using the skills from the Oregon School, really wish it was happening again.
Got cross rutted on one gnarly uphill, got bounced to the back of the seat, so still hanging on meant I gassed it bigtime, and couldn't reach the clutch lever - so me and bike parted company. Dragged the wheels (poor bike isn't new any more) over to the bottom of the rut, and so was able to pick it up pretty easily. Had a few iffy moments where I was afraid I wouldn't fit between two trees, bike feels so much bigger than my lil BBR, but managed quite well.
Randy proclaimed me ready to tackle The China Hat ISDE on May 25th, yippee! I'll be on my own start minute 10 minutes in front of Randy, Dave and Scott... hopefully I won't see them til the end... but they'll be along to help if I really get in a jam...or at least Randy will stop! Last year it was 42 miles, fairly open, lotsa whoops - perfect for the CRF.
-Susan
CRF250X
BBR230

Dirtbunny

Apr 12, 2004
I have an 04 CRF250r, absolutely love it!! Yes, height is a factor..(5'6 125lbs). I have dropped as much sag as is reasonably posible, as well as lowered the top tripleclamp as low as the bars would allow it to go. Made a huge difference, and the bike turns on a dime with the front end a bit lower. Need to get a smaller spring too, but its working good for now. Only track ridden so far...no trails. I still can't touch very comfortably, so I'm nervous about negotiating through trees and other sticky obstacles. I used to have an 01cr125. I love the more consistent throttle response and stronger power band in the low end. Honda has got it right with the CRF250r and CRF250x...Dirt Rider scored the CRF250x as their #1 bike of the year in their most recent issue!

jennifer

Apr 3, 2002
Hey Susan!

What a great ride report! Glad to hear that you like the bike and that you have had the "magic carpet" experience. It is amazing what good suspension settings have to offer. I couldn't believe the difference after my bike got dialed in. Well, keep having fun on that new big red machine. You have got me shakin' in my shoes.... I can tell that I have a lot of practicing to do before we ride with you again!

Jen

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
jennifer said:
Hey Susan!

...... You have got me shakin' in my shoes.... I can tell that I have a lot of practicing to do before we ride with you again!

Jen

.......===WARNING!! :flame: WARNING!!===

..........This is a "SandBagger Alert!"
Alert Condtions are now at FULL ORANGE!

...'cause if you believe the above... the last thing you will see is Jennifer's rear fender disappearing into the dust cloud in front of you.

Howdy, Jen! :moon:

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
srellis said:
My suspension feels a little stiffer than before but we moved the front forks up 1" and used the KoubaLink to lower the back 1.5". I'm not sure if shortening the travel affects the suspension, but it's not as plush as before. I feel much better just sitting on it now and I during turns I don't feel like I'm sitting way off the ground any longer. May have to adjust a little more.......
By the way... I love this bike!!
Glad you had a great time. Hope your ankle gets better soon!!
SusanE

Hey SusanE,

Yup. When ever you shorten springs (by cutting off some coils) -- so that you can put in spacers to reduce travel/ride height -- you stiffen the spring rate. What might be a .36 spring... when shortened becomes a .38 rate spring (stiffer).
It has to do with the overall free-length of the springs, number of coils, pre-load pressure.... blah-blah. (This is where an expert steps in and really explains the why -- I simply know that this is the effect).

For the ride height, proper pre-load range, and supple ride that we wanted for Susan (115 lbs., 5'2") -- our suspension guy is doing his experimentation/shortening with .36 fork springs and a 4.3 rear shock spring. These are *really* light springs for the 250x - but that's what it's probably going to take.

And once you go to really light springs like that -- he'll also be adjusting the valving to match. Right now, with the Kouba lowering link (which stiffened the shock's rising rate [leverage] while it limited the ride height), we can't back out (soften) the rebound adjustment any more. Hence, the need for revalving.

When it's *finally* done, it's going to be sweet. But you really need to have a knowledgeable expert when you start changing this many suspension parameters.

Hope that gave you some food for thought! - RandyB

ChaCha

Apr 20, 2004
The Ant,

I just bought a BBR bike. CRF 230/ CR 85. From what you said about your BBR bike, I hope I didn't make a mistake. :ohmy: I tried the CRF250X a few weekends ago, but I guess because I'm still a novice, I didn't feel comfortable on it. I've been riding the XR 200 for 2 years and the 250 was a big increase in power and size it unnerved me. Can you tell me more about your experience on the BBR.

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
ChaCha said:
The Ant,

I just bought a BBR bike. CRF 230/ CR 85. From what you said about your BBR bike, I hope I didn't make a mistake. :ohmy: I tried the CRF250X a few weekends ago, but I guess because I'm still a novice, I didn't feel comfortable on it. I've been riding the XR 200 for 2 years and the 250 was a big increase in power and size it unnerved me. Can you tell me more about your experience on the BBR.

Hi Cha-Cha!

I'm sure Susan will chime in as well. But I thought I would throw in my $0.04 as I am her "head mechanic/tow truck/whipping boy"....

We *loved* the BBR! And we would still have it if we had the money and the garage space. The primary reason for trying/moving to the 250X was for a big Baja Bound Adventures trip we're going on in May. *Had* to have full-size wheels, big gas tank, 70mph capability (for highway sections), etc.

The other reason that Susan wanted to go to the 250X was the full-size wheels. When we ride on our most technical trails we are constantly traversing big-a** rock patches and having to climb over big tree-root step-ups, and such. She's hoping that will be easier with the bigger wheels.

But the downside is the extra heft (~ 35 lbs) and size when it comes time to pick up the bike after a biff or wrestle it around on a tough death-trail. *Then* we're really going to miss the wee-beasty.

As for capability and performance.... At last year's Elsinore Grand Prix, Susan got in 6 laps on our heat race and only finished a minute or two behind me (I was riding a KTM 450 EXC). Also, "some guy" on a BBR passed me on one of the ridge trail sections! Dunno' who he was -- but he was just flying on the BBR.

And for the final bit of proof of what a great bike you have (and you do)... check this out:

http://www.pictology.com//ecom/even...nvite-id=e7c9bb86-44df-422a-a09e-10ca44590d8c

That be "The Ant" at the 2003 Elsinore Grand Prix. :yeehaw:

Cheers! - RandyB

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
ChaCha said:
(the) size unnerved me.

I am still struggling with the height and weight of the bike when I'm standing still but I love it when I ride. I don't really notice the extra weight and height because the seat to footpeg ratio fits really well. I just came off a TTR125L and I love the extra power. That's what I was after. More power!!! :flame:

We had an MX race this weekend and had 50 mph wind gusts all afternoon. It was really a struggle to keep the bike upright while waiting for the gate to drop! :ohmy:

Randy - We didn't alter the springs, just moved the triple clamps down about 1" on the fork tubes. I am still thinking about getting 0.38 rated springs anyway. At $99.00 I think it's not that much to waste even if it doesn't help considering what I paid for the bike......
SusanE (Not The Ant)

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
srellis said:
Randy - We didn't alter the springs, just moved the triple clamps down about 1" on the fork tubes. I am still thinking about getting 0.38 rated springs anyway. At $99.00 I think it's not that much to waste even if it doesn't help considering what I paid for the bike......
SusanE (Not The Ant)

We're expecting our .36 springs *any* day now -- might you be interested in our .38 springs? At a nicely discounted price, of course. They only have three rides on them with an *ant* compressing them.

(If I don't do something with the springs, The Ant will wait until my back is turned and turn them into some art piece.... :laugh: )

-- RandyB

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
ChaCha-
I loved my lil BBR, you did not make a mistake. If I had tried to start as a novice with the 250x, I think I'd have either gotten hurt or just given up from sheer exhaustion trying to pick it up... I could only consider riding this monster because I don't fall as much as I used to when I started. I felt like the new owner should have signed adoption papers when I handed the BBR over to her. It was kind of traumatic for me! I think they were a good match tho, she was coming up from an xr100 and even a bit shorter than me, but took off on it like a champ - her only complaint was that "it wasn't a real bike unless you had to kick start it!" The BBR just has a different feel to it, I rode it one last time and it was all light, springy and bouncey... it can hardly be kept on the ground. The CRF is more like this big beast - very plush but totally grounded. I expect some of that is cause I haven't really hit the throttle yet, but then I want to stay in control so have been basically putting around. And even lowering it as much as we have, I still can't really touch the ground except with ballerina toes- I could never have ridden this bike as a novice. Even pushing it around the garage is a challenge!
That said, I'm really looking forward to China Hat this Sunday, I'm expecting it to be mostly big open eastern Oregon trails, lots of whoops, terrain where the bigger wheels will be an advantage - hah, as long as I don't fall down more than twice!!!

SRellis- I think Darryl has already sold my .38 fork springs to one of his other customers, if not we can let you know.

-SusanP.
CRF250x

Top Bottom