srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
If he hasn't sold them I will buy them, otherwise thanks anyway!!

I'm still trying to get used to the extra weight when I am trying to jump. I feel great going through turns and down straights, but when I hit the face of the jump it seems like it just falls from the sky!!! My husband is telling me I am probably just not giving it enough throttle, but I wonder if it is a combination of the springs being too stiff and the extra weight. There are a couple of jumps that I feel like I get pretty high off the face but I don't seem to carry as far as I expect.

I guess this just means I need to get out and practice more!!!
SusanE

Last edited:

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
SusanE-
Talked to Darryl and I was confused (me?) - he sold the original fork springs the bike came with, the .38's we bought as an interim step while we waited on the .36's, so they're yours if you still want to buy them. We expect to have them off the bike early next week.
You can email me at:
smpost@comcast.net

-SusanP.
CRF250x

ChaCha

Apr 20, 2004
E-Ticket said:
Hi Cha-Cha!
The other reason that Susan wanted to go to the 250X was the full-size wheels. When we ride on our most technical trails we are constantly traversing big-a** rock patches and having to climb over big tree-root step-ups, and such. She's hoping that will be easier with the bigger wheels.

Randy/Susan,

Although we ride mostly desert, in the summer we go up to the mountains (Sequoia National Forest) to go riding and there are a lot of nasty rocky trails. We also, once a year, go to either Southern Utah or Idaho which has the same type of terrain...rocky, slick rock etc. Is the BBR a challenge in those scenarios? Should I keep the XR 200 for those situations? Which BBR did you have? Sorry for the endless questions.

The Baja trip sounds like fun. My friend did the FMF Baja tour this year and had a blast.

Thanks again for your input.

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
srellis said:
That would be great!!!
The .38's are still the stock length right?

Thanks! SusanE

{Replying for SusanP .... she's having connection problems}

Yes, they are still stock length.
And...they.... are... yours. Just email SusanP to hammer out mailing addresses, blah-di-blah.

Cheers! - RandyB

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
ChaCha said:
Randy/Susan, Although we ride mostly desert, in the summer we go up to the mountains (Sequoia National Forest) to go riding and there are a lot of nasty rocky trails. We also, once a year, go to either Southern Utah or Idaho which has the same type of terrain...rocky, slick rock etc. Is the BBR a challenge in those scenarios? Should I keep the XR 200 for those situations? Which BBR did you have? Sorry for the endless questions.

The Baja trip sounds like fun. My friend did the FMF Baja tour this year and had a blast.
Thanks again for your input.

Good lord, Cha-Cha.... can't you just leave us alone? :laugh:

Just kidding! .... (really BIG grin)
These are really good questions - let me try to handle them in order:

(==...Sequoia National Forest .... lot of nasty rocky trails.
....Southern Utah or Idaho .....rocky, slick rock etc. ..)
First off, I'm really jealous... :think: I have always wanted to ride there!

(== ..Is the BBR a challenge in those scenarios? )
Not a problem - you should be just fine.

(== Should I keep the XR 200 for those situations?)
NO! You should keep the XR200 for visitors/friends to ride or as a large doorstop. :) There is no way the XR200 can come close to the BBR. The BBR is much lighter, has better suspension, better brakes, and handles much better.

(== Which BBR did you have? ) BBR-230e

(== Sorry for the endless questions.) Not a problem - that's what this forum is all about!

Let me see if I can shed some light on some of our comments.

The BBR-230e, unless modified, is using the CR-80/85 "Big Wheel" suspension. The CR85R Expert suspension's springs and valving are designed for a light, small, 85cc two-stroke that weighs ~ 150 lbs. dry.

The BBR-230e weighs ~ 205 lbs. dry (no fuel). While that 205 lbs is *MUCH* lighter than most four-strokes (the new CRF230F weighs 238 lbs.!) -- is still quite a bit heavier than the CR85 Expert.

This means that the springs/valving in your BBR-230e *could* be towards the upper end of their capability.

Now, if you're a beginning rider, or someone who just trail rides at an easy or moderate pace -- the stock springs/valving are j-u-s-t fine.

Now.... a looney like The Ant (who has really improved this last year.... :aj: ) is really starting to fly through rocky patches, rough terrain, and getting big/bigger air off of jumps.

If we were going to keep the BBR - we were going to look into heavier springs and valving changes to match her riding style/aggression level. But the Baja forced our hand and we moved to the 250x.

For you... for now? I think you're just fine.
In fact, if there is still any doubt in your mind about the BBR -- do a couple of rides on it -- and then hop back onto the XR200. All doubts will be *promptly* erased. :thumb:

Cheers! - RandyB

The Ant

Jan 3, 2002
ChaCha,
My first bike was an xr200 also, once you're ridden your BBR you won't go back! Unless you need a loaner bike now and then, sell the ol' xr.
Basketball sized rolly rocks were the most difficult for me to deal with, am hoping the bigger wheels will help there - and not have the extra weight and height cancel out any advantage.

And not that I'd buy a bike for the sole reason of beating JENNIFER at Elsinore...(!), but am hoping the extra cc's will help out there... haha, can a person buy a faster brain???

-SusanP
CRF250x

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
The Ant said:
And not that I'd buy a bike for the sole reason of beating JENNIFER at Elsinore...(!), but am hoping the extra cc's will help out there... haha, can a person buy a faster brain???

-SusanP CRF250x

uh-oh... Now you've gone and done it... :uh:

Hey Pierre, it looks the girls are starting to trash-talk about the Elsinore Grand Prix even earlier this year!

November ought to be i-n-t-e-r-e-s-t-i-n-g.... :eek:

- rb

ChaCha

Apr 20, 2004
E-Ticket said:
....Southern Utah or Idaho .....rocky, slick rock etc. ..)
First off, I'm really jealous... :think: I have always wanted to ride there!
RandyB

Randy & Susan,

The Utah Ride: This is a great trip and ride. We went to 5 national parks in 2 days. Needless to say I've seen enough rock formations to last me a lifetime. The Ride itself is organized by the UTMA. The ride leaders are a couple of my friends (Scott Jacobson & Brad Zane). The Spring Ride is this weekend. That's the ride we went on last year. It was amazing. We rode 50-70 miles a day but it felt like 20. NO WHOOPS. Here is a link for it if you and Susan are so inclined. http://www.utma.net/sj/sanrafael2004apr.htm

Idaho Ride: We're planning the Idaho ride for sometime in September at the Sawtooth National Park. This is just with friends. You and Susan are more than welcome to join us if you would like. We're planning on a 9 day trip. 4 days driving, 5 days riding.

I think I will keep the XR200 for a while, but like you said, it probably will just become a dust collector. Thank you both for all of your input. I'm taking the bike to the track tomorrow. I can't wait.

Top Bottom