Frakenstiened KDX motor, have a few compatability ?'s.

anobii

Feb 27, 2005
I'm working on a 1980 kdx 250 for a friend. He brought it to me with the rod bearing disentigrated. The bearing went through the cylinder. I found an 82 KX 250 motor with bad cases on the bay, and i got it. Discovered that the crank and stator was differant. No biggie, swapped a few bearings and seals, and the KX crank dropped into the KDX case, put it all back together and everything fit together like a glove. The flywheel I got for the KX is much smaller, and the stator is differant, but everything bolted up to the KDX case. Now you know the situation, heres the problem.

The bike ran before it was brought to me, but now after the mix'n and match'n, im not getting any spark. Is the KX stator compatable with the KDX CDI and coil? I painted the engine, should i clean off the motor mounts to get a good ground from engine to frame or is that nessicary? I checked the stator with a multimeter and it's putting out 18-24volts at about 200rpm (spun with a drill) getting voltage through CDI as well, forgot how much though. I'm just not getting any thing from the coil, not even enough to feel by touching the bare wire. Bad coil maybe? It's really been a fun project, way easier to work on that my 76 XL250, i'm dyin to hear it run. Any help would be awesome. thanks guys.

-ERIC

Idaho Charley

Jul 20, 2000
I'm not going to be alot of help here other than telling you - your gounds DO NEED to be cleaned of paint. The ground path is very critical. The ignition coil should work with the stator but whether the CDI is compatable is questionable IMO. Good luck - It sounded like it was a fun project.

anobii

Feb 27, 2005
Ok i messed with this bike today and i have a new problem.
I cleaned all of the grounds, and rewired most of the ignition circut, and still no spark. Well my leg was tired from kicking so i put a socket on a drill, took the spark plug out and spun the engine with the drill. When it gets to about 800-1000 rpm it will start sparking, basically, i can't kick it fast enough. The only thing i can figure is with the smaller magnets and stator it dosent make enough voltage to charge up the CDI until a higher rpm, is this right? Do i need to get a new CDI?

Thanks for the help!

-E

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom