Fun with a cheapo mirror reflex lens

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
The image is soft because I shook the camera while triggering the lens (should have used the remote trigger) :bang: . For a cheapo $90 Opteka 500mm mirror reflex lens it's not too bad. I'm pretty sure if I work with it some I can get some decent pics with it.

It's a fixed aperture of F8, manual focus, and I shot it at 1/13s. The cool part is I was able to use the metering in my camera instead of breaking out the handheld meter. All in all pretty fun for the money. :cool:

Attachments

• Mirror_lens_moon_0861_drn.jpg
    Mirror_lens_moon_0861_drn.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 183

apb

Feb 1, 2005
That's a nice picture. Rich, what kind of camera did you use? I don't know much about photography, but would like to start playing around with taking shots sometime.. Do you have any pictures of planets that you've taken?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I used a Nikon D200 but this type of lens is available for any of the popular digital SLR cameras.

This was my first attempt at trying to shoot anything in space, but it was fun so I'm sure there will be more.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
Very cool shot!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
photojojo said:
If you don't have acces to a remote trigger you can use the camera's timer funtcion.

The sad part is I have the super trick remote from Nikon that does time-lapse and everything. I was just hurrying because clouds were moving in and I figured I could fake it. :bang: Luckily the moon makes regular appearances so I'll get another chance. :cool:

Okie said:
Amazing how good it is with that lens! There's an astrology version of the 20D (not really sure what the diff is?), but I guess you can mount it to a telescope... little too rich for my blood but I've seen some crazy shots with that set-up.

Since I was a kid I wanted one of those telescopes you could shoot pictures through. When I used to go to CES for USR & 3Com I was always trying to wrangle trades with the guys at the Meade booth. :)

Like you I think the cheapo mirror lens will have to cover it for the time being.

photojojo

Jun 10, 2006
Okie said:
... just be sure to cover the eye piece.

I've never covered the eye piece before. Covering the eye piece only affects the metering from what I understand. When I'm composing and the camera is metering my face is against the camera so it is not affected. Usually when I'm doing this kind of shot I'm in manual mode anyway.

As far as light leaking in the mirror should block it all. Might be interesting to take two shots with identical exposures and try it both ways and see if there is any difference.

I've been wrong before, so if you have a different experience please share.

apb

Feb 1, 2005
Okie said:
Amazing how good it is with that lens! There's an astrology version of the 20D (not really sure what the diff is?), but I guess you can mount it to a telescope... little too rich for my blood but I've seen some crazy shots with that set-up.
Okie, are you sure you didn't mean astronomy, and not astrology? I think astrology is where you figure out your astrological sign and read whats supposed to happen to you the next week -- That would be some lens, if it could do that ;)

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
:rotfl:

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
apb said:
Okie, are you sure you didn't mean astronomy, and not astrology? I think astrology is where you figure out your astrological sign and read whats supposed to happen to you the next week -- That would be some lens, if it could do that ;)
Oh yea, I do that all the time! :nener:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I've never covered the eye piece before. Covering the eye piece only affects the metering from what I understand. When I'm composing and the camera is metering my face is against the camera so it is not affected. Usually when I'm doing this kind of shot I'm in manual mode anyway.
Long exposure shots will leak light, at least that's what my manual says? Who knows.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom