matt ruiz

Jan 10, 2002
Mr WR aka Rick I tried to find out your e-mail, but I got the message that I could not enter unless I registered. The funny part is that I am registered. My e-mail is theruizfam@sbcglobal.net . Drop me some words of wisdom on the WR,or my future GasGas. Oh yea why dont you change your name to Mr GasGas.

See you on the trails
Now lets go riding

azcab

May 6, 2001
How does the GasGas fit taller riders? I'm 6'3" and currently ride a drz, which needed a new triple clamp and tall bars which move the bars farther forward and up. I've heard the Gas Gas is fairly compact and fits small riders where the KTM chassis is more comfortable for tall riders. Any opinions? Does GasGas offer a different triple clamp with optional handlebar positions?

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
On the '03 models - their are shims available from gasgas that allow you to move the bars upward by any reasonable amount that you desire - they fit between the upper triple clamp and the bar mount itself.

To move the bars forward and upward you can go to a BRP triple clamp - these are stocked by LTR - see www.lt-racing.com for details. Price is very reasonable and it gives you the ability to move the bars forward and up in various increments (max is 16mm up and 13mm forward).

EFM was also making a triple clamp that moved the bars forward and up - but the last time I spoke to the owner - he didn't have any in stock and was busy making no-slip clutches and didn't have another production run scheduled for a while - the website for efm is www.efm-billet.com.

Other "tall guy" options are tall seat foam (available from smackover) and low boy fastway footpegs (available from LTR). Also, tall guys seem to prefer a jimmy button bend bar.

There is a listing of all available aftermarket products for the gasgas on www.gasgasrider.org...

jeff
'01 gasgas ec300 ohlins
www.gasgasrider.org GasGas Rider's Club

Wudsracer

Aug 23, 2000
*********<Quoted from earlier post>**************
Quote:
Originally posted by agitt73
the bearing thing was in the mag's about a year ago but i dont
remember which one also on a g-g web site

quoted reply:
There's your whole problem, you read those overpriced useless excuses for toilet paper and take it as gospel. Can't remember any GG site (and I've visited all of them) ever claiming there was a problem with the main bearings on the '99 bikes. I do know of three people that had premature main bearing failures on '00 and '01 bikes. None of them could pinpoint the exact cause of the failure. There are also a lot more riders out there on '00 and '01 bikes that haven't experienced a main bearing failure. Now any main bearing failure on a '99 or older bike is due to wear not a faulty bearing failure.

*******************<end of quotes>******************

I personally heard of three or four '99 engines (250 & 300cc) that had the left crank seal installed (at the factory) too far into the case. This caused the seal to block the small "oiling passage" that goes from the left transfer port to the crank, just outside of the left crank bearing. The result was a seized left crank bearing.

The case has no shoulder for the seal to rest against, and the seal only needs to be installed flush with the outer surface of the case.

Most of the '97, '98, & '99 crank bearing failures resulted from the seal being installeed to far into the case during the First Crank REBUILD. On the average, it took only about 3 or 4 months for the problem to manifest itself.

I changed the crank bearings on my '99 prototype EC250 only because it was time to rebuild my connecting rod. The engine had endured close to 100 events, 1000 trail working and play riding miles, and at least 800 demo rides.

This was with the C3, regular load, bearings.

It was only because of a "jetting issue", that I was installing a new con rod kit.

The venting of the left power valve area has also generally improved left crank bearing life.

The most important maintenance item, important to get good service from the left crank bearing, is to clean under the ignition cover after a ride that is muddy, or at least clean it once per month. (more, if one uses a pressure washer to clean the bike.) The plastic ignition cover will let grit inside, which can work it's way to the crank seal. Also, there is a passage from the lower flywheel area to the underside (outside) of the engine. (6mm threaded hole) If left unplugged (recommended from the Facctory), it will allow muddy water to enter the flywheel area. I usually keep a bolt in mine, though, since it seems to get stopped up with mud if I don't.

I love my six speed bike.

Jim Cook

Wudsracer

Aug 23, 2000
The 250 and 300 engines both make identical top hp. The 300 does it at 1k rpm lower. The chassis are identical, and the weight is within 2 lbs. The 300 has an intake spacer.

In essence, wehn deciding between the two bikes, the difference in the two bikes is this:

While both make the same power, the theory is a bit different.
The 300 has more low end torque, and is easy to ride like a tractor. Revs generally build slower.
The 250 revs more freely, and is more of a "hot rod" ride.
A really good rider (not me) can actually ride a 250 on the pipe in the woods.
This difference gives the 300 a bit smoother power delivery and makes it easier to ride. The extra torque will better salvage a spodely manuver on a hill climb.

Special "tall guy" bar mounts are being manufactured as we speak. These will move the bars forward 1" and raise them 1.5", The only modification required will be to drill the holes in the top triple clamp to accept 12mm bolts.

Jim Cook
Team LAGNAF/Smackover Racing

bonzo

Mar 29, 2002
azcab- these bar mounts that jim refers to in the previous post are
VERY good for the tall guy, Im 6-6 and would never own a bike
without this installation. Also if you have big hands with a long
reach, custom levers will help your riding too. I have cut and
rewelded levers to make them further away from the bar. HUGE!

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
The western canadian importer is located near vancouver, b.c. and has a very good supply of parts -> parts prices are very competitive. U.S. parts prices used to be much higher but are now on par with prices in canada. GasGas Corporate set up their own subsidiary to import bikes and parts into the U.S. and dropped both bike and parts prices (very competitive with KTM - I think less expensive in many cases)

Their are two canadian importers for gasgas, one in western canada and the other in eastern canada. Mountain Motorcycles in the west and GasGas Atlantic in the east. Check out the gasgas corporate website under "dealers" for contact info -> www.gasgasmotos.es.

jeff
'01 gasgas eco300
www.gasgasrider.org GasGas Rider's Club
www.lt-racing.com GasGas Performance Products
www.smackovermotorsports.com The GasGas Parts Warehouse

sharp

Sep 30, 2001
euro gasgas - I was wondering what is the difference between the DE and the XC. I am on an '01 XC 250 and thinking of getting a 2003 XC/DE/EC 300. I like my XC but don't want something that needs to be put on Riddelin (sp?).

Shawn - '01 XC 250

sharp

Sep 30, 2001
Originally posted by leatherlungs
What is anyones opinion on the 01 300 gasgas compared to the 01 300 ktm exc?.

Do a search in this forum and you will find some info. The comparison is apples (blueberries?) to oranges. The KTM is seems longer and does not have as steep of rake compared to the GG - the GG seems to turn better or with less effort. The GG feels lighter. The fit and finish of the KTM is considerably better. I ride the GG 250 and owned a KTM 300 before that. I never have ridden the GG 300 but from what I have read (in this forum) is that the power deliveries are different. Both are excellent bikes. I have been able to do some funky slow stuff on my GG that I couldn't do on the KTM.

rider100

Dec 30, 2002
I'm still trying to find someone else that has firsthand knowledge of the 2002 mc250 with a 4 spd. I would like to know what kind of power it has and how does it handle. I'll b going fm a 98 kx250. Any info would help!!!

259Toby

Jan 6, 2003
I currently have a 2001 GasGas 200EC/XC (for sale) and I bought a 2003 KTM 200E/XC. It's not really fair to compare the two bikes because of the model year differences. I buy a new bike every two years and bought a KTM because the GG dealer in my area is sort of a weenie. I would have bought another GG but wanted to try something different. My mistake.

Don't get me wrong, the KTM is an awesome bike, maybe it will grow on me. There are a lot of guys going really fast on them, go to any enduro and all you see is orange. They must be great bikes or not so many people would be riding them. As far as quality of components, there is no comparison. The GG is trick and comes equiped with all the right trick parts.

In my opinion, the GG is much better in MX type terrain and handles like a Jap bike. It also works better in the tight woods. I went fast on the GG the first time out, and it has taken me some time to get up to speed on the KTM.

I think GG needs to get more people to try their bikes. One ride on one is all it takes. I feel that more people would buy them if they had a chance to ride one. My good riding buddy bought the same bike as mine after a couple rides on it. Now I have to work much harder to keep him behind me. I would guess that in the next few years you will see a lot more people riding the GG bikes. It took a lot of time for people to make the switch from Husky to KTM in the mid 80's.

Feel free to e-mail me if you want to discuss the differences between the two bikes. GasGasToby@aol.com

matt ruiz

Jan 10, 2002
I finally got it 03 DE 300. I just broke it in yesterday. This is by far the best bike I have ever ridden. Tons of low end power. Can a new bike make you faster? Hells yes and less tired. The fun factor was off the chart.I researched this bike for over two years and it was mind blowing, I had a blast-blast on my new Gas-Gas!!!!! Thank you Gabe and Jim over at smackover motorsports. You guys were the best. I can't wait for my second ride.

Top Bottom