Last edited:

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by agitt73
a buddy of mines (99) mains went out and a dealer told him they
had problems with them...
Wow, first the magazines, then the internet and now a dealer. Next thing you know the GG factory will tells us about a recall on all '99 bikes... NOT!

Your buddy's '99 200 was bought used, right? Who originally owned that 200, Craig H. or Steve M.?

DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000
Originally posted by agitt73

BECAUSE IVE RIDDEN A G-G 200 ALL IT FELT LIKE WAS A HOPPED
UP KDX
Spare me. I've owned both bikes and I can tell you my Gas Gas is a far cry from a hopped up KDX.

Everyone I know who has a KTM 200 wants to know why my bike handles so much better in the tight woods then thier bikes. BTW that's not a knock to KTM's is a compliment to Gas Gas. I'd buy another Gas Gas in a heart beat. It's the best bike I've owned to date and I've owned just about every brand of bike including KTM's

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
GasGas has been refining the motor the last few years. Cranks and crank bearings were upgraded in '01, transmission was upgraded to full bearings in '03. It is a very durable motor with refinements made every year to improve performance and reliability (just like every other manufacturer does). They also vented the pv cover in '02 - I really don't know how - but this increases the longevity of the crank bearings. The lt-racing high volume pv cover comes with a vent tap or there is a vent tap on the front of the pv chamber and bikes were delivered with vent nipple and washer; If you lost yours, the part number for the vent nipple is ME25610012 and has a washer part number T4006012.

The previous importer put on an fmf gnarly pipe on the 200 - not a good choice in my opinion - especially on the 200 (it was the same pipe on the 200, 250 and 300 in previous years!). The new distributor is having fmf make up fmf fatty pipes for all the different models - the fmf fatty is a much better choice on the gasgas, the fatty delivers bottom, mid and top whereas the gnarly delivers bottom and mid at the cost of top end. The bike inherently has good bottom end and linear power. Putting a grunt pipe on it just adds bottom where you don't need it and takes away top and overrev is not good. (Me, I really like the doma...)

So if you rode an earlier u.s. model gasgas 200, your impression of it might not be in sync with what they are delivering today. You rode a 200 with a 250 grunt pipe attached - not good. Ride the new '03 gasgas ec200 with an fmf fatty that is designed specifically for the bike and your impression will be different, very different (make sure it is jetted right too - stock jetting leaves something to be desired).

At first I was a bit insulted by the "hopped up kdx" comment. But, I guess a hopped up kdx with ohlins suspension at both ends, pwk 38 air striker, boyeson rad valve, fmf fatty pipe/silencer, nickel plated frame and billet triple clamps (and they don't crack either!) wouldn't be a bad ride to have...

jeff

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Jeff,

As always a good response. Thank you for being a voice of reason.

Mully

ktmracer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 9, 1999
a buddy of mine has a 99' 200 (gg) and i always wondered why it had the same pipe as the 250 and 300. the bike runs exactly as you explained it, real torquey with no top end. will the newer pipes fit onto the 99 models as well?

btw: i too heard the deal about crank bearing failures (not on the internet)

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
Unfortunately, the newer '03 pipes will not fit on older models. For '03 they shifted the motor forward (10mm?) to make the front end bite even better... (which is kind of hard to imagine...)

I would think that the doma pipe would be better suited to the 200 (even though it is designed for a 250 and is good on the 300 too). The 200 revs 1000 rpm or so higher than the 250. The doma pipe has good over-rev and delivers on top better than anything else and is very smooth on the way. But, I have not used this pipe on the 200 - I have ridden an '02 250 with the doma and also my bike is a '01 ec300 w/ doma. The doma is similar to the messico that the european bikes were delivered with but revs stronger and higher and is a tad smoother on bottom (and the messico is smooth too...)

The doma pipe is very reasonably priced - Les at lt-racing has a couple of them in stock in both natural finish and nickel plated. Check out www.lt-racing.com.

jeff
'01 gasgas ec300 w/ ohlins forks
www.gasgasrider.org GasGas Rider's Club

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
On second thought - the '03 ec200 pipe might fit with some "help" - not sure how much "help" it might need... Something we'll have to try when I get my hands on one...

jeff

RakO

Dec 26, 2000
Dilemma 200GG or 200 KTM ???

I’m wondering which one will be the best for me…..
Being now 54 I’m looking for an easy bike.
Mainly doing Trail riding I’m not looking for pure performance but for a “non tiring bike”
I used to have a 400 KTM and sold it because I never get used to the ” politely” called light front end… After a Big crash I sold it.
But now ???
KTM + is the weight – is the hard seat, hard suspension, vague front end
GG + it much softer but really heavier.(same frame for the whole GG range)

Your opinions pls.
Help the “OLD” men

RakO

BTW I wish this kind of Dilemma being the only one in my life.

drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
RakO,

Trail Bike+Enduro Magazine in the UK did the KTM200vGG200vKDX220 group test not so long ago. This is what they recommended:

KDX=novice rider just starting out-solid, dependable, good bike, not very exciting.

GG=intermediate rider who likes mellow power delivery in a safe package-best bike for slippery and technical enduro terrain. Exciting.

KTM=experts only-rip snorting POWER, very tiring at the end of the day. Too exciting.

Hope that helps.

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
My GG250's pretty "exciting". I'm not sure how much more excitement I could take. When you twist the throttle it flies.

It's good power - not narrow at all. Pulls harder & harder. I wouldn't want anymore.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
Consider it an honor when a KTm guy litters a little junk to try and scare off prospective Gas-Gas buyers...I have watched the Gas-Gas folks and a few bikes in Colorado. They handle better than a KTM. They are just as reliable if not more so. (No cracked triple clamps, cam bearing problems, and all those other things that are posted in these web pages.) But the best testimony is the fact that those who went from Gas-Gas to Husaberg (you know who they are) are telling folks off the record they miss their Gas-Gas machines. OF course expect the denials....

With a USA based distributer my bet is the price point drops and along with a Four Wheeler offering they will grap dealers therefor market share. Also the way KTM handles dealers may help them decide as well. My bet is Gas-Gas grows into a contented within the next two years. Bigger than KTM? Not until there is a competitve MX and race team to prove it.

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I dont think I would want any more power than my 300 has already! My KDX is still a great bike though and I would love to ride it any day when Im not on my GG. Can't comment on a KTM; never ridden one. They look like sweet bikes and a lot of guys have them, so they must be pretty awesome woods bikes.

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
I wouldn't steer anyone away from a GG or a KTM.
I would say that each bike has advantages over the other. They are much diferent bikes. My new exc200 is a much more precise handling bike than my 00'. The GG has plusher suspension, which is good in the tight stuff. The KTM seems to have more of a motocross bloodline this year. I think that the GG is probably a little easier/more forgiving to ride. The KTM likes an aggresive style rider imo. Both come with above average components and attention to detail. Bottom line: Where you ride is probably the most significant factor in choosing between the two.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Angry Jim, you're right, the GG and KTM are built differently for their intended purposes. The GG has shorter rake, weight pushed foward, and will perform better&nbsp;in very&nbsp;tight situations,&nbsp;KTM's have longer rake, weight pulled back,&nbsp;hence will be more stable at speed. Both are race machines and the key to either bike is dialing it in to your personality.

And just think how serious people would take the GG if they changed their name to something like,.......Petro Petro,....:moon: &nbsp;

drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
Someone always has to go too far!

GasGas are not and never will be KTM.

There are skeletons in everyones closet including some very poor GasGas machines.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Maybe I missed something here, but the GasGas vs. KTM rivalry always seems to make people defensive. Neither bike is perfect for everyone, and obviously they each have their aim set a bit differently for their prospective buyers.
As long as you like the choice you made, why worry about what anyone else thinks? It's nice to hear compliments about your bike but there's no need to feel insulted when somebody doesn't like it.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Originally posted by drz mick

And I pray it stays that way ;)

Life's a gas ... gas :moon:

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999

There are skeletons in everyones closet including some very poor GasGas machines.

Very poor GasGas Machines ???? Where ? I missed this somewhere. Could you please explain this comment ??

Mully

DANIEL JOSEPH

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 14, 2000

When someone makes the PERFECT bike please let me know I want to get one, and as a Gas Gas owner I thank god my Gas Gas will never be a KTM. They're both great bikes I just don't look good in orange.

drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
Mully
Try the Gassers with screaming gearbox's, paper mache air boxes, self breaking mud guard supprts, leaking fuel tanks etc etc. that the factory turned out less than two years ago.
Don't get me wrong guys-I'd own a GasGas but you'd have to give it to me free and then I'd paint it Orange!
Freedom of choice is a great thing-don't take things too seriously.

Love, peace and happiness to you all brothers.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
drz mick:

How about plugged carburetor circuits, faulty triple clamps, misc. engine oil leaks, wheels that can't stay together, etc. etc. that the factory turned out less than two years ago, some of which still being turned out with current models?

I guess your KTMs aren't so perfect after all. Sorry to burst your bubble, there are plenty of poor KTMs out there too, not to mention every other brand.

Top Bottom