darnjr

Jul 5, 2001
I have always used Silkolene Medium gear oil in my KX250 and was recently given a bottle of Silkolene Comp gear oil. I was just wondering if it was safe to use. The Comp stuff does not say anything about the weight or whether it is for use in 2-strokes.
Thanks,
DA

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
Sounds like stuff for a road bike transmission. If so, its really not suitable for your 2 stroke.
I did the same thing once, bought BelRay gear oil for a road bike by mistake.
Clutch hardly worked at all.

mxwilly

Feb 23, 2003
I've used Silkolene Comp Gear in my motocross bikes for years. It's the best oil silkolene makes. Ran it for 4 years in my 91 rm250, now running it in my 02 RM250. It's a little more expensive, but i've never had problems running it!!!!

jlgedge03

Oct 11, 2003
well, with alot of "research" I am using mobil 1 15w50 synthetic in my tran. (and so are a few on these forums) seems to be running fine for me so far!

mmmbeergood

Jan 22, 2003
Automatic transmission fluid!!!!! Worked great in my kdx 200, works great in my kx 500. $.96/qt. I change it every other ride. Unless you just like to spend money, this it's perfectly suitable.

Gordon

Bodge

~SPONSOR~
Oct 4, 2003
I put atf type f in my yz last night and what i noticed is that gear saver, honda hp, and this cheap atf all look exactly the same, same color and thickness. Are these any different? I know i like the honda hp over the gear saver bec it seemed to shift smoother. Ive yet to try the atf though.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I used to use Silkolene Comp gear oil, it's good stuff. I quit using it because the dealer was always out of it. The last half dozen gear oil changes I've done I used quaker state 10-40 because I had a case of it in the garage. I was leary of using it but I have had no problems at all. btw, I'm on a 125 mxer so you know my clutch gets abuse.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom